Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Here's a super light Ultra Wildcat 18.5 in pencil barrel.[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
And a pencil barreled AI 223 in a McMillan Edge.
[Linked Image]

Don't tell shrapnel, but they do have wood:
[Linked Image]

HR IC

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by huntsman22
maybe not as graceful as yours, but she's svelte to me.......
rem 600, HS stock

[Linked Image]

Awesome 600! What bottom metal?

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
model 700 trigger guard fits the HS. When it was in the factory wood it wore a CVMW bm....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have the same ultra wildcat as Hawk!

EVERYBODY is pro-gun, some just don't know it. When an anti-gun person is in trouble, the first thing they do is call 911 and demand that they send somebody with a gun!

"Turdlike".... in record time

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's a Rhimmiki that I picked up a while back

[Linked Image]

Life is just one damned thing after another
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The last Rhiimaki .222 that I had my grubby little hands on turned out to be stolen. The LGS really hated to tell me the bad news. I had already scoped the darling and found that it loved factory Remington 50 grain ammo and had bought a case of it, dies, a bunch of IMR 4198, etc. But then as sweet as it was, (and the right thing to do) I gave it back. Restution given, but I have never found another to replace it. It was the most accurate centerfire rifle that I ever had. jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
H
Hi_Vel Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
HawkI,

in early 1973, i was sitting in my physical science class, with my sports afield there right in front of me. inside was an article by pete brown titled, "a bear gun--oh no!" (it was a may 1969 issue).

it was about the 17-223, and the article showed two rifles, each made on the graceful sako action; a harrington richardson m 317 ultra wildcat, and the other rig was made by winslow arms, and had a beautiful stock made out of cedar--i was dreaming on cloud nine right there...

the first time i actually handled one of the h&r's, i was instantly struck by how perfectly proportioned eveything was--everything scaled down--to pure perfection. for a while back then, prior to the h&r rigs, i recall there was a fellow named vern o'brien, and he built some beautiful rifles on the diminutive sako action.

the beauty of all of these rifles is that tiny action--the platform they are built upon, with everything so nicely scaled to those graceful proportions...

i see cal74 has a classy riihimaki, with the original set of rings. the barrel contour is the later style i spoke of in an earlier post...

for what it's worth, my wife's grandpa, and her father--both shot most of their deer with the little sako .222--the little 50 gr. sierra pills never bounced off...

the little riihimaki is a thing of pure beauty--the checkering on them is just phenomenal, as it gracefully follows contours of triggerguard, etc., as is the inletting.

scoped up, they are a little harder than the later vixen's to get as comfy with, due to the very significant drop at comb--but when you've got one in hand, you've just simply gotta overlook it--and be taken with all the rest........

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
About how tall is that shooting rest in the first set of pics?

H
Hi_Vel Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by keystoneben
About how tall is that shooting rest in the first set of pics?

when collapsed, it is 9 1/4 inches tall.

it is made out of aluminum, with brass hinges, leather saddle and feet, copper rivets, etc. the device is also adjustable via the slide-lock in the front and center.

i don't know if he is offering them, but you might consider a pm to scenarshooter for any other info...

the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
H
Hi_Vel Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by efw
Sheesh you guys are killin' me here! Those are some AWESOME lookin' Sakos; I NEED one BADLY...

It was alluded to in the post, but there is a bit of irony contained in the OP's screen name and his topic smile .

Heck, even Hi Vel Junky Mark (safariman) has a .222 Rem that he loves... surprised he hasn't posted up pics of it yet.

Seriously... I think this may be a rifle I buy myself before too long. You guys are really puttin' the screws to me. Keep 'em comin'!!!!!

efw,

you will never go wrong with one of these rigs. the riihimaki my wife's grandpa had--the rig she learned to shoot with--and the rigs like geedubya and cal74 posted pics of, are simply just about pure perfection. in my estimation, they are considerably better than the construction/vintage of my wife's current m 74--the checkering is better, the inletting is better, the bolt is a masterpiece of machine work, the stock is much nicer in overall shaping, along with the fact that it is "pear-shaped" in cross section on the forearm, like your hand is if you cup it to hold a forearm--rather than the square 2x2 look of later models. (of course among the "metallurgy snobs", they decry the trigger guard on the riihimaki--"it's soup-can metal", they squeal--but i like that look--it has a simple beauty that relates to our early .22 rf's that we wandered the fields with...)

nevertheless, the later construction rigs like her m 74 have a couple of benefits that the early riihimaki's lack:

1. they have a very high comb, which places the eye in a nearly perfect position behind the ocular--a plus, as anyone using these very accurate rigs will want glass on deck;

2. it has a much slimmer barrel contour than the early riihimaki, which makes it very easy to handle and point, as it balances so well in the hand. the early riihimaki barrel contour is heavier, like what you would find on the sako swift's and 22-250's...

some "pluses and minuses" for you to ponder--and of course you know what that means...it takes you right to the "principle of the resolution of opposites" : we only know light by contrast to dark; rough by contrast to smooth; warm by contrast to cold; etc., etc.

so what it all boils down to is simply this--you gotta find, and buy both...

another pic of the graceful 'ol triple duece:

[Linked Image]

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Not trying to hi-jack this thread, but I saw a Sako in 218 Bee
at a gunshow a couple of years ago and it sold fast, didnt even
know Sako made any 218 Bees til that day.

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sako also manufactured a 22 Hornet but it was listed under the metric nomenclature. They also made a 7.62x39 in a Forester. All 3, (218 Bee, 22 Hornet, & 7.62x39) are very rare.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I'm a confessed triple deuce slut too! I got my first when I was 18. It was a Remington Varmint special with the barrel cut down to 19". A few years ago I dropped it into a VLS stock. Here it is with one of it's many victims
[Linked Image]
Around the time I finished college I picked up my first Sako L461 Vixen in 222(which also made me into a Sako slut!!!)This rifle had lived in a ranch pickup and some cowboy had even scratched his brand in to the floor plate! I had the barrel cut behind the front sight to make it a little handier. Great calling gun!!!
[Linked Image]

It also accounted for this big tom. Thank god it was a deuce and not a 243!
[Linked Image]

To me Graceful is, as graceful does! I robbed a mcmillan stock off another project and put it on the little vixen. With this being a calling gun, i decided a little paint wouldn't hurt so I.....some of you may want to close your eyes....
[Linked Image]
I figured Vixen is an appropriate name!!!
Somewhere along the way I acquired a CZ 527
[Linked Image]
And last year I traded into another Vixen with a heavy barrel!I haven't even scoped or taken pictures of that one!
Truth is with the as perfect as the varmint special and the vixen sporter it's hard to show the others any love!

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I'm a big fan of the 222 Rem. This is my newest purchase. Grice special run of the Model 7 gloss blue 20" that was mounted in a Curly Maple stock. Stock was put away and I purchased this McMillan McSwirly off of their web site.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I also listed pictures in a prior post of my 1963 700 carbine 222 Rem & my 1963 700 carbine 222 Rem Mag

Also still have a Browning A-Bolt II 222 Rem with the Dura-Touch camo stock.

Ken

H
Hi_Vel Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
nmpistolero,

great job on bringing that fur to bag--and i think your grin on each pic says it all.

i note in most of the pics there is essentially no damage evident, and very little indication of where those critters were hit--you put the swat to them !

a good friend of mine made his living hunting fur for a few years--he "scientifically" worked at it every day--and in every way--to control all of the variables he possibly could...attempting to lose no edge in any situation. he's a great fan--and user of the sako vixens--yet curiously, in the field he used a rem m 600 mohawk .222 with 4x scope, and bullets he made himself from rolls of copper wire.

those are some pretty nice, and handy rigs you have there. and i also note that you like a shorter tube. i find the shorter tubes to be really nice to use--as they are handy, and fast.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Some great looking rifles, guys. My Remington 660 222 is one of the most accurate rifles I have, but it's about as svelte as a 4x4 post. Works great off the bench but feels awkward off hand. I won't let go of it anytime soon though.

[Linked Image]

"A free people (claim) their rights as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their chief magistrate."
--Thomas Jefferson, Rights of British America, 1774
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Yes sir Hi Vel, I do believe I need a 600 action in my herd! One of my mentors growing up used to shoot one and that's where the love affair started!

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
This thread has gotten me fired up to own an early Sako .222. I always admired them as a youngster, but they were too pricey for me. What might an early Riihimaki in excellant condition in .222 be likely to cost me?
(I hope this isn't off subject)
Thanks

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AlanW
This thread has gotten me fired up to own an early Sako .222. I always admired them as a youngster, but they were too pricey for me. What might an early Riihimaki in excellant condition in .222 be likely to cost me?
(I hope this isn't off subject)
Thanks

Prices have dropped some in the last year, look around long enough and you can find them for 600-700.00

The one I picked up I think I stole at 473.00 off a gun auction site. Handling marks and wearing on the blue, but it's also a 60+ year old firearm that saw some use. I had put a 550.00 bid in during the last few minutes and expected to be outbid, but wasn't. Shipping was 20.00 bucks and included a decent plastic case and my dealer did the transfer free (owed me a favor).

The mounts can be spendy if they're not included (mine were), so keep that in mind.

Life is just one damned thing after another
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Here you go,

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/11108728

this heavy barrel Rihimaki went for $881

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/11098464

Last edited by Cruiser1; 06/15/12.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (12344mag, 1234, 17CalFan, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 2,334 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,517
Posts18,490,944
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.