-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A couple weeks ago you guys were good enough to explain to this neophypte how to clear a live round from the chamber of his M&P 15 Sport.

At the range this past weekend I believe I found part of the original problem. Below the bolt release is a horizontal bar which apparently assists in correct feeding by keeping the mag in position. This keeps working its way out and disengages. Is this a factory fix or what? I would rather not have to send it in if possible.

BTW, after mounting a new scope and getting it on paper at 50 yds. a handload of 75 Hornady BTHP over H335 got me 1/2" groups. Shows promise for an "entry-level rifle."

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's a keeper fer sure!

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
How many different mags have you tried in it?

RLTW
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
So far just the ten-round it came with. 30 round magpuls just arrived.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I don't know if I understand what you're saying but if the mag catch (which slides in and out when you press the mag release) is working it's way out then something is wrong.

If I understood correctly, then push the mag release in with a pen or something and the "horizontal bar" can be screwed in further on the other side to adjust it. It should be spring loaded and most of the time the threads will be even with the mag release button.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
TWR is spot on as they say.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Borealis Bob
A couple weeks ago you guys were good enough to explain to this neophypte how to clear a live round from the chamber of his M&P 15 Sport.

At the range this past weekend I believe I found part of the original problem. Below the bolt release is a horizontal bar which apparently assists in correct feeding by keeping the mag in position. This keeps working its way out and disengages. Is this a factory fix or what? I would rather not have to send it in if possible.

BTW, after mounting a new scope and getting it on paper at 50 yds. a handload of 75 Hornady BTHP over H335 got me 1/2" groups. Shows promise for an "entry-level rifle."

Been having the same issue with my S&W sport....gotta check and see if this is my prob.....mine usually doesnt jam till after a couple of hundred rounds but it will jam a live round just like youve mentioned here

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
TWR....looked into that and now when pushing the button the "bar" remains in position. Ran it a number of times and now it won't misbehave. Go figure.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Confused, if you push the button, the bar should disappear as the mag should drop free.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
threads stripped? But shouldn't drop mag then in that case, but would allow to stay in place possibly to function? I dont' have one out of the safe right now and can't quite remember.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Nope, even stripped threads, the bolt is what you're actually pushing. The button is the nut...

Last edited by TWR; 06/14/12.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TWR
Confused, if you push the button, the bar should disappear as the mag should drop free.

Sorry, didn't make that clear. When I now push the mag drop button the bar stays in what I assume is the proper position...closed so to speak.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Is the bar visible in the mag well when the button is pushed?

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
It's possible that the mag catch is to blame. There is such a wide tolerance on the installation of the threaded button that it would have to be waaaaayyy loose to be the culprit, however. Again, possible. I'd be a little surprised if the change of mags didn't fix or at least positively affect the issue, though.

RLTW
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
No, the bar pushes out when the button is depressed. As mentioned the problem seems to have sorted itself out. The unit functions fine now after numerous cycles. Before the mag catch needed to be depressed manually to catch, now it works slick.

Perhaps there was a burr from tooling that has since smoothed out??

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Possibly... Sometimes different mags are just a wee bit lower or higher than others. Always make it a habit to push your mag in hard then try to pull it right back out before you charge a round. The push/pull method takes no time and will keep you from dropping a mag on the deck...

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the tip....this is all new ground to me.

Bob

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (808outdoors, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 907brass, 12 invisible), 15,038 guests, and 1,071 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,107
Posts18,541,911
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.