-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I handled a couple of their M1999s at the NRA Convention in St. Louis and was not impressed. The rifles were heavy, finish wasn't that good and they felt... well, clunky.

Well, the local gunshop got a couple in last Friday and I have to say my first impression was wrong. The .260 stainless model is good looking, smooth to operate, the stock fits nicely (synthetic) and it can't weigh over 7 lbs. Fit and finish is excellent and basically it is a "pre-64 M70, trigger and all. If it had been a 7mm-08 or .308, it probably would have a new home now. The other rifle they got in was also stainless in a nicely figured wood stock in .243. It was noticeably heavier, but still a nice rifle. Both are a far cry from what they "showed" in St. Louis. Anyone have any experience with these rifles?

Last edited by lastround; 06/19/12.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
GB1

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Don't know about the completed rifles but recently bought a custom rifle based on one of their barreled action put in a B&C stock. Metal work is perfect and clean and feeds perfectly...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by lastround
I handled a couple of their M1999s at the NRA Convention in St. Louis and was not impressed. The rifles were heavy, finish wasn't that good and they felt... well, clunky.
Their first attempts were a bit crude - but the ones made now (that I've seen) have been excellent..

Well, the local gunshop got a couple in last Friday and I have to say my first impression was wrong. The .260 stainless model is good looking, smooth to operate, the stock fits nicely (synthetic) and it can't weigh over 7 lbs. Fit and finish is excellent and basically it is a "pre-64 M70, trigger and all.
Might as well imitate the best.. laugh laugh

Too bad Browning didn't have a CLUE when they revamped the model..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've seen/handled the same rifles lastround mentioned and I too am impressed. I've owned a couple of the new Extreme Weather's, but don't currently own one. These 1999's don't give up anything on finish, smoothness of cycling, etc to the FN70.....plus they have the "old" trigger design. Quite honestly, I think the fit/finish is a little better on the MRC (at least the two mentioned earlier).

I see me buying one in the near future.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Got two of the original charter SS/SA. Both are accurate, reliable & everything I bought them to be. Some folks have had what seem to be valid issues, but I'm very happy with these two & it seems they have pretty well ironed out what problems they've had in the past.

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I got one of the charter long actions left handed models. I had them barrel it in 375 H&H and stocked it with a Winchester 70 take off stock. It shoots and functions well. I am not at all disappointed other than I let them talk me into a heavier barrel than I would have liked. It is a bit on the heavy side at 9.5 pounds bare.

Mart

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They were going to offer complete off the rack rifles around March or May of last year, it looks like a few are finally hitting the shelves.

Here's an XWR you were talking about:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=292466960

And an American Standard Rifle (ASR):
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=292019238

The wood and finish look pretty good on the ASR. The sellers are asking full MSRP right off the Montana website.

At these prices I think an FN Winchester is a better buy, but if they ever get around to making those left hand rifles they promised, especially in some of the chamberings they promise, these might be worth another look.

http://www.montanarifleco.com/custom.rifles.html

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
WOW! That price is unbelievable!! I figured they would be selling for a lot more, not basically a few bucks over the Winchesters of equivalent models.

What I like most about MRC is the choices in magazines for the actions. You can get a short action with a 3.1" magazine and do things like the B&M short mag series, a 350 Rem Mag without seating deep into the case, same with 208gr or larger high BC in a 300wsm, etc.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Damn, it looks like they are using the same clubby B&C synthetic stock that Browning is using on the South Carolina Mod 70 Extreme Weather models................Not interested...........Hb

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The ACR 300 RUM rifle looks good. I'd be curious how it feeds. Tempting.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The stock on the MRC didn't feel as clubby as my EW's....especially in the grip area. The one I handled was definitely thinner.

Both of the rifles I examined were on the shelf for less than $1000--$989 IIRC.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Mrc=investment cast action
winchester=forged

Doesn't matter to me, but does to some.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
An investment cast action has been proven over many years by the Ruger M77. Certainly OK by me; I've owned and abused a bunch of them.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That exaggerated MC and big cheek piece would be a no go for me on the ASR.

A big MC for me doesn't make for a fluid mount when things are happening quick. Which is the reason you often find them on target shotguns, which are mainly used pre-mounted and not so much on field shotguns. Same thing applies to rifles.

The XWR would be tempting.

Last edited by battue; 06/22/12.

laissez les bons temps rouler

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

426 members (16penny, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 11point, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 2,578 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,668
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.