Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
JFWRC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Hello:

My name is Jim Welles. I own and operate JFW Ranch Consulting, LLC, with my wife Kelly at 10600 Eagle Rock Ave, Albuquerque, NM 87122. My phone number is 505.294.7861. Our e-mail address is JFWRCcomcast.net. I have been a registered outfitter in NM for 17+ years.

Ric and I have an arrangement and posting this as an ad has been approved by him.

We just secured the rights to the 45,000 deeded acre Lobo Ranch located 1 hour west of Albuquerque on the SE slopes of Mt. Taylor. We are honored to have this ranch to offer NM Bull Elk Hunting. Although the ranch receives in excess of 50 Mature Bull and Archery (ES) landowner authorizations, management of the LOBO is conservatively hunting only 11 total bulls on this ranch. We will be offering up to 4 fully outfitted 6 day archery hunts at $5,950 + tax and license; 4 either muzzy or rifle fully outfitted 5 day hunts in early October at $6,450 + tax and license, and 3 later season rifle hunts. The later season 5 day elk hunts ($5,500 + tax and license)can be combined with mule deer or barbary or both at $1,500 ea. The lodging on this ranch is first class. . The modern lodge is complete with satellite TV and internet. All meals are included in the package as is transport to and from Albuquerque International Airport. The hunts do not have to be scheduled in the order mentioned above. If you prefer to have a larger group, we can accommodated your needs. Archery hunt dates are expected to start around the 17th of September. Rifle or muzzy can start either October 1 or October 15 depending on weapon type selected. We can accommodate a muzzy mobility impaired hunt October 6th. The NR license is $633.

I will be posting pictures following this introduction.

Thank you Ric and the 24hourcampfire

Jim Welles
www.newmexicobiggamehunting.com

New Mexico Elk Deer Antelope Sheep
GB1

J
JFWRC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J

J
JFWRC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

J
JFWRC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Did I mention we pay for your state elk license?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
More pictures of the elk?

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Do you offer husband/wife lodging if both are hunting?

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
J
JFWRC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Tip926-We are heading out to the ranch to work on a spring in couple of weeks. Will take more pics and post then. Will be nice to get pics of bulls in August when they are finishing out.

Michigan-

Yes Sir-the lodge is perfect for couples hunting.

Thanks to both for your questions.

Jim

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
You posted plus lic fees. So are you paying for the lic or is the hunter on top of the prices you listed?

So is $5,950 including the Lic?

What size Bulls have you taken and or seen on this ranch?

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
J
JFWRC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
This is the first year we have had the ranch.

Conversations with previous outfitters indicate a 90% +/- success with bulls taken in the 260-300 inch range with the largest @ 315. Guides working for them reported sittings and shots at bulls 320-330.

We are including the elk, game, and stamp licenses only. Mule deer, barbary, bear, lion are the hunters responsibility.

Thanks for the questions. Jim

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Thanks for the 411.

I will check with the wife.

Texas
IC B3

J
JFWRC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Good evening:

Had folks inquire about the "kill fee" if a bear, Mt. Lion, Deer, or Barbary license is purchased while hunting Lobo and an animal harvested while hunting elk.

The kill fee is $1,500 each on top of the elk hunt cost.

Sorry-should have made that clear up front.

Jim

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have hunted this ranch several times. My wife killed a 29 inch sheep there several years ago. All of my elk hunts are on the other side of Mt Taylor. The size they are killing and seeing are right on the money. I have been in this lodge, and it is nicer then the pictures explain. This is a very neat ranch, and a rifle hunts on these private ranches are usually no brainers. We have been 15 for 15 for the last 3 years on the other side of the mountain. Same elk, just choose a different side of the Mt to go off of. The famed Floyd Lee Ranch sets right in the middle. Go back to Realtrees first elk videos. 90% of the bulls that were killed in NM were killed on the Floyd Lee. This ranch is prolly one of the best ranches for sheep in that country, and if Taylor gets early deep snows, the mule deer should be very good.

Toby Joe

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Toby Joe; I do not know you but I must pass on my regards, you must be a very good and honest man as you have given glowing reviews to a potential competitor. Best wishes to you and the folks at lobo Ranch. GRF

J
JFWRC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Toby Joe-Thank you for your post. I very much appreciate it. What ranch do you hunt on the other side?

I'm guessing you hunted the Lobo when Jack owned it? He tells me there are some whopper bucks.....hard to kill but some monsters. Genes are very good,just not many deer. We are planning to apply for 2 enhancement tags in order to hunt December rut.

What part of the ranch did you wife get the ram on?

Jim

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
We hunt all of the Jerry Elkins Ranch west of Mt Taylor. I honestly dont know who owned the Lobo when we were out there. It was a group of investors from Phoenix, I think. We were very good friends with the man that was running it and living there, Ed Laclaire and he got us permission to hunt sheep out there. We killed her ram straight south of the bunkhouse and lodge. The big peak that the main road skirts around the edge, before it drops into the draw where the bunkhouse is. Supposedly there were some tahr spotted on top. That is what we were originally after, but then switched gears to aoudad after finding them several times. There are some monster mule deer on Mt Taylor, but they are few and far between. My uncle Buddy Elkins owns the Elkins Ranch up on top, and I have seen some monsters that my uncles have whacked up there. There are 3 bucks over 200 inches that are hanging in the cabins up there. But same story, different area, they were killed in the good old days. But, there are still some good deer around, just not as many as there used to be. I dont know what its like on the Lobo, but we have got a major lion problem on our side of Taylor. I seen more lion tracks last year guiding mule deer hunters, then I seen deer. We have caught a few out there with hounds the last few years, but I seriously doubt we have put any kind of dent in them.
I was working hard to get the outfitting on the Lobo ranch, and everything was looking good, and then Ed quit, and my connections kind of got thrown out the window. But it all worked out. I dont think anybody will regret booking this hunt on the Lobo.

Toby Joe

J
JFWRC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Again-

Thanks again for your kind words about the ranch. As it is new to us, and so huge, there is lots to learn. It is surprising that the barbary herd has not taken off like it has down in the SE or Texas. There has been barbs out there for a long time and I know there is not that many hunters going to the Taylor area.

Hope to get some elk pictures posted when they are finishing out.

Are you any relation to the Truby's in Bloomfield? Jimbo

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I think that we are related to the Bloomfield Trubys, but it is a long way down the road. My Dads family was all miners from Silverton Colorado, then migrated to NM when the uranium boom hit.

Toby Joe

J
JFWRC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
10-4.

Thanks Toby Joe,

Don't know if this is possible but do you have a picture of the ram that you could post?

Jim

Go NM Elk Hunting!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I posted it on here several years ago, dont know if I can go back that far with a search. Will try to find it again.

Toby Joe

J
JFWRC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Nice Size Bear Track-Taken last weekend.Bear can be taken while hunting this ranch....you buy the license, hunt elk, see bear, kill bear, additional $1,500 kill fee.

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (Amos63, 7mm_Loco, 338Rules, 6MMWASP, 12 invisible), 1,480 guests, and 853 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,083
Posts18,501,664
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.