Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
erich Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
My wife went yard saleing . She was looking for a fire pit for the backyard. She saw a brake drum from a semi sitting in the the guys yard and asked if it was for sale and the fellow told her is she could haul it away she could have it free. She walks over and grabs her shopping partner ex-collegiat basketball player and journeyman bricklayer. SHE walked over picked it up and put it into my wifes trunk. My wife said the guys jaw was still hanging open when they drove out of the yard. Fast forward a few months, I drilled some holes around the sides of the drum to let air in and stacked brick around it and we roasted alot of hotdogs and marshmellows around it.

My gas grill died and I was too short of funds (my wife says too cheap) to get a new one. I found an old Weber 22.5" lid and grill and set them over the firepit, a perfect fit. The iron drum holds heat very well making it a very even fire and the Weber lid controls the fire to perfection. Steaks come out to perfection, large chicken breast get cooked all the way through with out burning the outside.

This is the very best grill I've ever used, whish it were more portable.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by erich; 06/24/12.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pics man ....thread no good without them smile

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
Looks like a beauty. I think your dog is wondering when you are going to put some meat on it!

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
What is the diameter of the brake drum? My old pit finally rusted thru and I need to get another one or preferably build one.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Wow,
looks like a home made BGE! Now that is cool.
Enjoy the food.
Bob

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yea, where I live its very humid and I'm sick of replacing grills every year and a half after they rust out. I'm building a brick one like yours next. Good job.

�Some people hear their own inner voice with great clearness. And they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy�or they become legend."--Jim Harrison

www.doing-manly-things.com
erich Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The semi brake drum is 19 1/2" in diameter.

I made a new fire pit for wood burning, campfires in the back yard, I used a semi wheel for it, 23" in diameter.

[Linked Image]

I know rust, I live on the Pacific coast close enough to hear the surf and the salt spray will ruin anything steel. My windows even get cloudy from the salt spray drying on them. The castiron drum will last a very long time and the rim has enough steel in it that it will take a long time to rust through.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 222Sako, 21, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,428 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,412
Posts18,470,461
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.