Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I have many rifles, way too many actually, but in your situation I'd be looking at either a SS M77 or a SS Vanguard. Both are rugged. Both are inexpensive. Both will shoot well enough to handle any game to any range a 30/06 is appropriate for. Good Luck and let us know what you end up with.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely and in one well preserved piece, but rather to skid across the line sideways, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil and shouting "GERONIMO" at the top of your lungs!!!!"
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I would just be careful with a Savage. I have a PC that is a tack driver but the Accutrigger sticks causing failure to fire. I've heard this is not uncommon. Mine is a paper puncher so I don't worry about it.

I would really take a look at the Winchester 70 Extreme Weather. Probably about $1,000, comes in 30.06 or 308. It weighs 6 3/4 or 7lbs depending on action length. I have a new FW in 7mm-08 and the thing is a tack driver. Great rifle for the money.

Scott
Bearded Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I would really like to thank everyone for the warm welcome to the forums and for taking the time to aid me in my decision.

I hadn't really put much thought into a Ruger as my I once owned an old 10/22 which was about as useful throwing at a squirrel as it was shooting at one, the accuracy wasn't nearly up to my expectations and didn't stay in my collection for very long. After reading coyote_hunter's post and many comparisons of the kimber 84, winchester 70, remington 700, and ruger 77 I think the Ruger is the perfect rifle for me.

Probably the most influential of the features the rifle offers were the integral scope mounts, three position safety, one piece bolt, and the mauser type controlled round feed extractor. If theses features come anywhere close to the theoretical ruggedness it presents I believe this rifle will serve well for any application I intend on using it for.

I am still in a pickle over which model I want between the M77 Hawkeye Standard or the Hawkeye All Weather; though I think I am leaning towards the Standard, as I find it much easier on the eyes but I guess I need to put more thought into it. Either way the rifle will be chambered in the good ol' 30-06. Thanks again to everyone!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jonathon
I would really like to thank everyone for the warm welcome to the forums and for taking the time to aid me in my decision.

I hadn't really put much thought into a Ruger as my I once owned an old 10/22 which was about as useful throwing at a squirrel as it was shooting at one, the accuracy wasn't nearly up to my expectations and didn't stay in my collection for very long. After reading coyote_hunter's post and many comparisons of the kimber 84, winchester 70, remington 700, and ruger 77 I think the Ruger is the perfect rifle for me.

Probably the most influential of the features the rifle offers were the integral scope mounts, three position safety, one piece bolt, and the mauser type controlled round feed extractor. If theses features come anywhere close to the theoretical ruggedness it presents I believe this rifle will serve well for any application I intend on using it for.

I am still in a pickle over which model I want between the M77 Hawkeye Standard or the Hawkeye All Weather; though I think I am leaning towards the Standard, as I find it much easier on the eyes but I guess I need to put more thought into it. Either way the rifle will be chambered in the good ol' 30-06. Thanks again to everyone!

I think you are making a very sound and wise decision....Nice to see someone rationalize and give good reasons that influenced their decision....From what I've seen with the new ruger hawkeyes, you'll be very impressed. Just keep in mind the action will be rough for a while and the trigger may need a lighter spring or it may even need to be polished out a bit. The rifle is as sound as a bank vault though as far as I'm concerned. If you get tired of looking, remember I've got one that has been smoothed up, trigger polished out, professionally bedded, and it shoots lights out....The only thing wrong with it is it's a 308 and you are leaning very hard toward the 30-06 and I don't blame you as that is also my favoite cartridge (truth be known).....Sounds like you are on the right track though so let us know what you end up with.......Maybe check out a new hawkeye with the satin (not the matte) bluing.....Those are much nicer than the matte blued ones they started out with.....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hard to beat a ruger! Coyote Hunter got me hooked on their boat paddle stocks as well. Mine is in .270 and I love it, I think you have made a very sound choice! And fwiw that 308 that BSA has is very nice, would love to own it myself.

Last edited by 444Matt; 07/01/12.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[quote=444Matt]

And fwiw that 308 that BSA has is very nice, would love to own it myself.[/quote

A friend of min said that to me one day while we were talking on the phone. I said, "you can own it." There was a definite pause on his end of the line (before cell phones) and then he said, "how's that?"

I told him and presently he owned my rifle and I owned one of his. WIN ! WIN!

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yup, I'm pretty sure he wants cash which I'm about tapped out of right now! Down the road though. You never know LOL.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've tried lots of different rifles over the years [I'm 49] and have never really been happy with any of them even after I modify them to my taste. I currently have as my primary hunting rifle a Ruger M77 Mark II stainless synthetic in 280, the newer style, not the "boat paddle" stock and I'm fairly happy with it. I put a Timney adjustable trigger in it. The Remington Mountain Rifles are nice and light and point well for me, and I've had a bunch of them, but I always had that nagging in the back of my mind of the bolt handle coming off and the triggers really are weird with that floating conmnector. The Winchester featherweights are nice too but lack the one piece bolt also. Granted, all of them have been dependable but I just wasn't happy with the composite bolts. The Ruger is a little heavier than the others but I'm happier with the action. The safety is hard to get off sometimes. Remember, most things are subjective....Good luck.

Deus Juvat

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by scotts94_z28
Kimber Montana 84L in 30-06 or 270
Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x40
Talley LW Lows

or

Kimber Montana 84M in 308 or 7mm-08
Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36
Talley LW Lows

This, except make it a ss and walnut (for me anyway). Also might look at the Conquest in 3-9x40 on the long action.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm not a big fan of Ruger rifles due to personal preferences but believe the stainless they use is very rust resistant. Rust resistance is one part of the equation regarding all-weather rifles in my mind.

I like Tikkas, but the stainless tends to freckle, same with the Kahr 9mm I had. I've seen posts/pics of Kimbers rusting easily too, but have never owned one. It just depends on the type of stainless used. For this reason, I think a stainless Ruger is a good choice if you're worried about rust plus you get a synthetic stock. Just make sure you like the stock, or save some money for an aftermarket... the ones I've looked at are very flimsy. Also, Rugers are heavy to begin with so watch out if you decide to add something like a Hogue and still want a "light" rifle.

You can always get a blued/synthetic too and hit the barrel and action with matte rattle can. Or do the same with stainless. Metal finish doesn't worry me too much but a stable stock does.

I like the Tikka T3 suggestions mentioned earlier above. I have a 270 & 300 Win. Both shoot lights-out with little fuss. I've had five Tikkas and each shot great. Some people seem to hate them but I think they are a good budget rifle. Lighter than a 77/700/70/etc., nice trigger, low bolt lift, two-position safety that locks the bolt ( I don't need 3-pos myself but insist on a locked bolt -- personal preference). Just throw the rings away and get something better (Talley, DNZ, Warne, etc.).

That said, most any major brand bolt action is pretty good today and you'd probably be better off getting the best binos you can and not worry about the rifle! I'd take Swaro binos and some beater rifle over a $1500 rifle and cheap binos! Binos are not as sexy as a rifle, I know, but something to think about if you don't have decent glass yet.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Get your favorite action (Rem700), a quality barrel (Pac-Nor), and a Mickey stock. Have it screwed together and spend some time with her. A .308win or .260rem won't kick like pissed off mule and it'll be your new favorite for everything. Keep it all simple and standard and you'll be a happy man.

***** .308 ***** win

[Linked Image]

This is 10 or 12 shots, I can't remember. Bout 7 came in under 1/2"

[Linked Image]

Filled several tags and dinner plates
wink

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunnut308
Get your favorite action (Rem700), a quality barrel (Pac-Nor), and a Mickey stock. Have it screwed together and spend some time with her. A .308win or .260rem won't kick like pissed off mule and it'll be your new favorite for everything. Keep it all simple and standard and you'll be a happy man.

***** .308 ***** win

[Linked Image]

This is 10 or 12 shots, I can't remember. Bout 7 came in under 1/2"

[Linked Image]

Filled several tags and dinner plates
wink

[Linked Image]

Nice gunnuts....Pretty fancy for a hunting rifle...... whistle

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ruger Hawkeye All Weather .308, and call it good.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Ed
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice Ruger. First one I've seen that was fluted. Special run or???

Thanks BSA. I could sell all my toys cept that .308 and be a happy fat boy grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It is too bad a tika is number one..

Time spent hunting is not deducted from one's lifetime.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It is too bad a tikka t3 is number one..

Time spent hunting is not deducted from one's lifetime.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jonathon -

It wasn't clear in my previous post but both Ruger .30-06s were purchased used and the .338 WM was built from used parts except for the stock. The point is there are a lot of very good used guns available, usually for much less than new, and often you can't tell the difference in how they look or shoot.

My wood/blue Ruger M77 in.257 Roberts is a case in point and has been my favorite rifle since I acquired it. Built in 1989, it became mine in January, 2004. At that time it didn't even have scratches in the bluing under the slide safety - something I "fixed" in the first couple trips to the range. Cost was $400 and included a Leupold M8 4x in the rings.
[Linked Image]

Another used bargain was a Remington BDL in .308 Win. It was 30 years old when I picked it up off the Gander Mountain used gun rack at a cost of $350. Except for the missing rear sight it looked like new. I replaced the sight only to find out it was removed to make room for the scope, so off it came again. The picture below is from the first load development I did with it. Every shot used a 0.5g increment in powder.
[Linked Image]

Here's another scope check target from the Remington M700 .308W:
[Linked Image]

Just saying, don't overlook the used rack - there are often bargains there waiting for a good home.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 07/04/12. Reason: spelnig

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Jonathon -

It wasn't clear in my previous post but both Ruger .30-06s wre purchased used and the .338 WM was built from used parts except for the stock. The point is there are a lot of very good used guns available, usually for much less than new, and often you can't tell the difference in how they look or shoot.

My wood/blue Ruger M77 in.257 Roberts is a case in point and has been my favorite rifle since I acquired it. Built in 1989, it became mine in January, 2004. At that time it didn't even have scratches in the bluing under the slide safety - something I "fixed" in the first couple trips to the range. Cost was $400 and included a Leupold M8 4x in the rings.
[Linked Image]

Another used bargain was a Remington BDL in .308 Win. It was 30 years old when I picked it up off the Gander Mountain used gun rack at a cost of $350. Except for the missing rear sight it looked like new. I replaced the sight only to find out it was removed to make room for the scope, so off it came again. The picture below is from the first load development I did with it. Every shot used a 0.5g increment in powder.
[Linked Image]

Here's another scope check target from the Remington M700 .308W:
[Linked Image]

Just saying, don't overlook the used rack - there are often bargains there waiting for a good home.

I agree with CH on this one and sometimes you get a used rife that may be better than new...Especially in a Ruger m77'S case.....If you get one from someone that knows what they are doing, the action will be slick, the trigger great, and if you are really lucky it will be bedded appropriately for excellent accuracy....but that takes a lot of fun out of owning a used rifle.... wink

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've really prefer a wood stock but also like the weather resistance of stainless since I spend a number of nights in tent each year...often wet. All my rifles have wood stocks and I've had the metal coated...cerakote, Black Ice, etc. Keeps the rust issue away and is actually better than stainless, and I don't have an ugly plastic stock in my hand. I also take time to make sure the stock is bedded and sealed as best as possible. They all work, go with what you like best.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gunnut308
Nice Ruger. First one I've seen that was fluted. Special run or???

I had the work done. Had the barrel fluted, bolt handle skeletonized, and trigger worked to 2.75lbs.

Last edited by 308ld; 07/04/12.

Ed
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (1minute, 16penny, 1234, 10gaugeman, 153, 1OntarioJim, 55 invisible), 2,357 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,534
Posts18,472,748
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.