Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
A friend of mine talked me into signing up for this thing called Warrior Dash. It's basically a three mile race through mud pits under barbed wire, over various obstacles and such. It seems like a lot of fun. Has anyone here done it yet? Warrior Dash

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
GB1

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I missed it this year but I will be doing it next time it comes around.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have done a couple of these types of races. They are fun and a good way to train for the mountains. Better yet, it you can do one in the mountains its even more training for your hunts. My advice is to start with the warrior dash or urban race series, which are 3 miles that will have plenty of participants, so when you get to the obstacles you will actually have time to catch your breath a little. Work up the spartan race!

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Irving-- Just did a 5K "Survive the Farm Race" in Easton NY. They are fun. I may be interested in this one-- I think they also have one similar on West Mountain in Glens Falls. Web

[Linked Image]
I
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
I've been doing the work force challenge which is just a 5k around washington park in albany for a few years. This sounds like a lot more fun. I'm stoked can't wait to give it a shot. I've read about the spartan race that seems even more bad ass thanks for the input

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Just completed the PacNW Spartan Sprint. Great motivation for training. Real fun race. One of my teammates is also a backpack hunter. Want to do a Tough Mudder, but the local one for me is 9/29--right after my elk season ends and don't know if I can get that weekend away after taking half of September to chase elk.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I ran the Tough Mudder in '11 and '12 at Mt. Snow. Does this count?

George

Last edited by NH K9; 07/01/12.

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
NH K9,

Not meaning to hijack the thread...

I have a friend running the TM in Wisconsin in early September and we've been comparing training regimes. I've watched the TM videos and read participants' accounts, but have not talked to anyone who has already run one. Any advice on training or, more important, the race, itself?

I'm old by obstacle race standards, 49, but in good shape. I finished my Spartan as no. 196 out of 4,036 finishers. Ran a half marathon the next weekend. I'll continue training and will have about 20 days in late-August and September of backpack hunting.

I know there are guys on here who are ultra-marathon-trail runners and have read their comments, but I think your advice might be different.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
FWIW, I do some form of run everyday; speed, distance or hills depending on the day. I also did a lot of "weighted" incline work because, after last year, I figured if I could pull off hills with weights, it would be "easier" without grin .

Then, again day-to-day dependent, I either lift or do Crossfit/Kettlebells.

The Mudder has a little of everything....pulling up over the walls, a bunch of core work during the crawls, etc.

I don't have creds to match many on here, but we finished this year in just under three hours. I find a lot of "fun" in "running" up/down the mountain several times. grin

George

Last edited by NH K9; 07/01/12. Reason: over 2, under three: my apologies

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Q
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Q
Did the PacNW Spartan sprint a couple weeks ago. Was a lot of fun and will definatly do it again next year. Think its a good off season activity to keep you training for hunting season. Also throwing in a couple half marathons this year.

I'm really starting to feel my age. Used to be I'd just go hunting and not worry about being in top shape for hunting season. I'd just stay active all year. Now I'm having to do specific training to cover the same ground I used to. Guess I should just be thankful I can still make it to the same backcountry I used to when I was in my early 20's.

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
NH K9,

Finishing a TM in under 2 hours is darn good.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
My apologies (I edited my original post). We were at 2:40ish, just under three hours. Too many things at once going on while typing.

I didn't pick up on it until I saw your post and thought "Holy schit.....2 hours is fast". FWIW, there was a group of Marine Recon guys (all mid-20s and ripped to schit) who did it in around 1:55. That was impressive.

George

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I did the Omaha Warrior Dash a few weeks back and had a great time. I've been doing P90x along with running and was in better shape than I thought I would be.

It wasn't bad. The obstacles break up the run and some of the volunteers gave helpful hints on getting over them. Just have fun, it's quite the rush.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
NH K9,

2:40 is still very impressive. 1:55 is amazing and one of the reasons why the jihadists don't mess up my day. God Bless America and the U.S. Marines.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I missed it here, so I will be competing in the Super Spartan Race

Keep the wind in your face!
Certified NASP & Explore Bowhunting Instructor
APA Archery, Victory Arrows, Hamskea, Stokerized ProStaff
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Ran the Windham NY Warrior Dash last year. Will be running it again this year. Very fun but first mile plus is up a pretty good hill, a lot of walkers out the gate so if you want to run and not get slowed up get to the front of the starting line.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The TM is a warrior dash on steriods! I completed the one in Albuquerque a few months ago. Just remember to roll threw as many obsticles as possible instead of crawling. It makes it alot easier.

Waiting in the lines at the obsticles is a great was to relax, but if you're going for a good time it'll make you mad. The mud is only at the very end, so you dont have to worry about running wet and dirty the entire race.

That beer they give you at the end sure does taste good!

Lifetime member: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers & Wild Sheep Foundation
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
The mud is only at the very end, so you dont have to worry about running wet and dirty the entire race.

I wish they had done that in Vermont grin ! They put up a wall in the middle of a mud pit prior to the starting line. One of the first obstacles they hit us with this year was the Arctic Enema. We spent damn near the entire race wet and muddy. Last year it was wet, muddy, and freezing grin .

I wouldn't trade last year's freezing cold for your heat, though.

George

I have run the Warrior Dash a couple times, but this year I stepped up to the Tough Mudder in Beaver Creek. The TM was more fun. I ran a fair amount in the months leading up. Then, starting 5 weeks before the run, I did a boot camp class 6 days a week. The boot camp helped a bunch. The only thing I struggled with in the run was the rings and monkey bars. The artic enema wasn't hard, but it sure sucked.

Overall these are fun events that keep me motivated to stay in shape throughout the year.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I will be running the NY Rebel race I believe it is the 21st of July. Course looks flat and easy but I am sure it will be fun anyways. Its in New Windsor NY might be close to you?

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 007FJ, 2500HD, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,250 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,670
Posts18,493,756
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.