Print Thread
Hop To
P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Ok guys, figured I'd post this thinking there might be a few who'd like to see it, and to maybe get a little insight from those more knowledgeable than I regarding these things. I guess I'm a Winchester fan, but more of a shooter than a collector, but I guess depending on who you ask, that is debatable, lol. I've got several Winny levers, as well as pre 64 model 70's, but I buy more for shooting pleasure than collecting.

Anyway, I bought this 86 as a project rifle from an estate. It came to me with a 26 inch new barrel of unknown manufacture, chambered in 45-70. It did have a plain jane buttstock in place, but no forearm. Rifle was completely in the white when I got it. Being a carbine fan, when it came time to do something, I took it too my gunsmith and told him it was to become a 20" short rifle. He cut the barrel back, and did all of the polishing. He also made the stock and forearm out of a matching blank. Once he had completed the metal work, the receiver, hammer, forearm cap, buttplate, lower tang, loading gate cover and lever, were all sent to Turnbull and it was case colored. The barrel was also sent and he roll stamped the Winchester address and caliber markings. Once I got it back, my gunsmith, rust blued all of the remaining parts, and he checkered the stock, trying to stay with a winchester style pattern.

I guess the intent of my post is to see what opinions others have, and since I have no idea what values are like for a Winchester of this type, I was curious to see what those that are maybe more knowledgeable think. I know what I have in it at this point, but I guess all in all, it really doesn't matter what the value is. It is my pride and joy, and a real pleasure to own it. I have no intention of selling it, and actually hope, one day to be able to give it to a deserving individual. Any comments you may have are appreciated.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Looks like a real quality job!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
By the way, I really like that you made a short rifle out of it.

IC B2

P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Thankyou much boltman. As far as I'm concerned, the configuration it is in now, is just about perfect, but that's my opinion. The guy that did the work agrees with that, but his partner thought we were both nuts thinking it should be left as a 26" rifle.

The gunsmith that did the work is also a rancher, but he is extremely meticulous, and he wants everything as close to perfect as he can get it. The only problem a guy has is getting him to take on work in his down time. Headed out now to put it on paper, and show it to a couple guys that have an interest in things like that. Got a hunch one of them will be dreaming up his own project as he's looking at it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hope it shoots as good as it looks!!

If you don't like Robert E. Lee, you won't like it on this ranch. JGM
P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Just got back from the range with it, and it shoots "almost" as good as it looks, lol. Got it dialed in, and then took it over to see what I could do on some steel with some of the regulars. Killed a turkey at 300 yards with a shot to the neck, lol.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
This appears to be a proper restoration to an upgraded factory rifle style. I appreciate the checkering patterns which seem true to those originally available as options. Altogether a very nice job that you can be proud to have commissioned.

P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Stocker,

Thanks, yeah, this would've been a special order rifle if new back in the day. You could order the short rifles, but I've very seldom seen a factory 86 short rifle. The only thing that I am second guessing myself about is whether or not I should've had it done with a pistol grip rather than the straight grip. I prefer the straight grips, but the wow factor might have been a little better with the pistol grip. The only other thing that I considered was punching the already chambered barrel out to 45-90, but just opted not too. Thanks again for the comments, they are appreciated.

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Your gun smith buddie, did a Great job on this rifle! love it, did good staying with the 45-70 cal. alot easier to get rounds and reloading stuff, wood and case colors look Great also! hard not to like a 86!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Looks like a labor of love to me!! but i doubt you would get out of it what you have in it for resale. Turnbulls case colors just ain't quite what the original Winchester ones are like , they have more orange and yellows in them, and are more of a rainbow effect. Its nice but i guess i'm just a onery old fart that likes the original ones. I have a restored 1886 deluxe rifle restored by Frank Pachmeyer back in the 50's it has the Turnbull style case hardening and it aint right either !!! frown frown Don

P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Saddlering, that was the biggest reason I stuck with the 45-70, figured if (god forbid) I did ever have to sell, the 45-70 would probably generate a little more interest just because it is cheaper to get into as far as loading, or even buying ammo. I would agree that it is hard not to like an 86.

Don, I too would have rather had a nice original one, but to find an original with good case colors and the original barrel, it's going to be priced way over the top of what I would be willing or able to pay, lol. I haven't paid enough attention to any restored guns that were selling to even guess what one will bring, and that was part of the reason for posting. I personally don't care what it would bring because she ain't for sale, but I guess on the other side of that, I was a bit curious how far one way or the other, I was off from what I had in her, if someone had an idea. Of course prices are always dictated by the economy, and this is a low time, lol.

Anyway, thanks for the comments, and chime in if you'd like.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
PSH, I'm lucky enough to have bought a nice deluxe 1886 in about 95%+ condition years ago ,its in a crappy caliber 38-56, but i have had really good offers but cant bring myself to sell it! smile heres a picture of it but it doesen't show the case colors very well.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Nice! now show one of the Dulux 405!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
grin John you know i hate to brag!! grin

P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
That is a nice deluxe. I'd sure as hell own one in a crappy caliber if the price was right, lol. Any of them are fun to shoot. Looking at the pic you can see some good color to the receiver yet. I think that I would have a tough time parting ways with it too. One thing about an offer, 99% of the time, they'll always be worth what you were offered, or more down the road.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Loggah,

I wish I had a .38-56. Not in a jewel like you have, but one I could seriously hunt with. I love the .38-55 and I enjoyed while I had it, a Marlin .375 and my dad still has a Winchester Big Bore in .375.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Your 45-70 is beautiful but it isn't for everyone who appreciates the 1886. It's YOUR idea of what an '86 should look like. Nothing wrong with that; but like customizing a '55 Chevy, you're appealing to a different type of admirer. I've got a "beater" 40-82 with that loooong octagon barrel and it hangs just right for me.

Last edited by LarryfromBend; 07/09/12.
P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I would have to agree, everyone's tastes are different. I've always been kind of a carbine guy, and the short rifle just appealed to me. Course, all in all, I find it hard to dislike any old Winny, they've all got a story behind them, and it's just fun to step back in time. My preference just comes from finding the carbines a little handier in the field.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

57 members (338Rules, AdventureBound, 406_SBC, 907brass, 9 invisible), 1,482 guests, and 782 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,449
Posts18,507,941
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.