Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
You should see the Patagonia store in Santa Cruz, CA. Total friggen hippies. I was shopping for some capiline and the unshaved sales chick with dreads asked what my activities would be.

When I told her a 12 day hunt in Northern BC for moose, elk and caribou she said "that's awesome, will you bring us some jerky". I'm sure there are plenty of anti-hunters that work at Patagonia, but there are also some that are just fine it.

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I never said they all were anti-hunting and guns. However the majority of the companies beliefs and foundation is anti-hunting and guns. The problem I have is that a company that big and with that much pull is a major problem to my beliefs.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I know Steve House. He came up here about two years ago. He was a very active elk hunter and would like to go again but they make their money climbing rock during the same time. He was talking to the management about making camo based gear.

Sincerely,
Thomas

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Patagonia is for me, expensive fishwrap. Screw their "holier than thou" environmental bullcrap.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 07/12/12.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
kaboku68 even if they made camo based gear I would not buy it. Bottomline for me is they give as a whole company way to much to non-profits that are strongly anti-gun/hunting. Weather or not that is one of Patagonia's core beliefs or not is irrelevent. Add to the fact that the company is very liberal based and I have zero reason to support anything of theirs. I realize boycotting all liberal based companies is hard to down right impossiable. However the larger more powerful companies such as Patagonia I steer clear of at all cost.

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
It's probably a good jacket. I still use a patagonia fleece coat I bought in '93. They make some of the best outdoor clothing on earth, and being "enviromental" is not the same as anti-hunting. Patagonia has helped me comfortably kill hundreds of big game animals.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not replying to any one in particular, I would just assume deal with each person individually then classify them as "something". Liberal, conservative, etc tags have lost all meaning for me.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Where did anyone say being environmental and anti-hunting were the same thing?

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I'm a hippie hunter. Elk hunting is one of my two favorite activities (well 3 I guess), and if I had my rather I'd live on a private piece of property in a homemade earthship, with a big old garden inside, a wood stove and easy access to the NF. I don't like ATV's instead I prefer the peace of being self powered. I pick up trash in the woods and I constantly scout game. I like to keep our world clean for future generations, so I ride bike if I can instead of drive.

Hunter / hippie , climber , what's it matter as long as you are responsible on the public land, and take game responsibly. IMO, if you eat meat, you should be ok with hunting. A lot of people have a weird disconnect with that. If your not ok with hunting that's ok, be a vegetarian and I'll respect your opinion.

We get to caught up in definitions. If company X supports environmental causes, but doesn't support anything specifically hunting related, that's ok. By supporting the environment, they are getting folks involved and supporting places where the game thrives. If no one gets involved, and no one cares, that's the end of it all -- for every group.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Must be tough to be so dumb.

I'll bet Patagonia's done more in real terms to protect wilderness than you and I.

Funny, was at a dinner with Chouinard a few weeks ago (Madison River Foundation) and got to chat with him a fair bit. I liked him. Our mutual friend there is a rabid hunter... trust me, he's a GOOD friend of Chouinard's. How is it that cHOINARD'S a good friend of a die-hard elk and grouse hunter?

Oh yeah, and they're doing something to preserve something of value.

What are you doing besides blowing a stream of BS on the internet?

If believing in preserving wilderness makes me a liberal then I'm guilty as charged.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

E
Ed_T Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by Brad
Must be tough to be so dumb.

I'll bet Patagonia's done more in real terms to protect wilderness than you and I.

Funny, was at a dinner with Chouinard a few weeks ago (Madison River Foundation) and got to chat with him a fair bit. I liked him. Our mutual friend there is a rabid hunter... trust me, he's a GOOD friend of Chouinard's. How is it that he's a good friend of a die-hard elk and grouse hunter?

Oh yeah, and they're doing something to preserve something of value.

What are you doing besides blowing a stream of BS on the internet?

Brad,

You must be talking about CM, founder of 1% for the planet and as you said one of the most ardent hunters around. I have also had the chance to visit with Chouinard a couple times and I like him as well. Had a nice vist with him last year at the Tenkara Summit in West.

Don't know if many know but Chounaid's son is a hunter and has killed many wild boar, starting with a crossbow, then a spear and finally a knife.

http://tenkarausa.com/attachments/SimpleGifts_YvonChouinard_FlyRod&Reel1009.pdf

Ed T

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yup. CM is a good friend.

Chouinard is the real deal and I like him.

I doubt he's an anti-hunter... more "urban legend."

However, I'm friends with all kinds of people, some of whom "think" they don't like hunting.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Jryoung, we have an identical type of store here in OK. While they have merchandise that I need from time-to-time, the people just seem to have no clue, especially about hunting. Last year I visited the store and asked if they had any backpacks with the ability to carry a rifle. You would have thought I was speaking a foreign language. A couple of weeks ago, I visited the store looking for molly straps for my backpack and I got a "deer in the middle of the road" look. One time I made the mistake of asking for mid-weight merino wool base layers and I was shown lightweight merino t-shirts and underwear. But, they did have ton's of polly stuff. I guess they have their niche, but it ain't for hunting enthusiasts.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Make no mistake about it, if you're a hunter that could use good clothing, for backcountry type hunting, don't overlook patagonia stuff.

As for the anti-hunting stuff.. pretty funny.

I live next to a great grocery store. Lots of dirty whacked out off the charts lefty hippies with piercings and tats covering themselves work there, and frequent the place. I'm sure they know nothing of hunting, and many are anti-hunting, but I still shop there.

As for hunting, Patagonia, and several other manufacturers are lightyears ahead of the camo-clad renditions of good clothing, sitka, kuiu, etc..

Them are the facts.

E
Ed_T Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by Greenhorn
Make no mistake about it, if you're a hunter that could use good clothing, for backcountry type hunting, don't overlook patagonia stuff.

As for the anti-hunting stuff.. pretty funny.

I live next to a great grocery store. Lots of dirty whacked out off the charts lefty hippies with piercings and tats covering themselves work there, and frequent the place. I'm sure they know nothing of hunting, and many are anti-hunting, but I still shop there.

As for hunting, Patagonia, and several other manufacturers are lightyears ahead of the camo-clad renditions of good clothing, sitka, kuiu, etc..

Them are the facts.

+1

Ed T

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by Greenhorn
...As for hunting, Patagonia, and several other manufacturers are lightyears ahead of the camo-clad renditions of good clothing, sitka, kuiu, etc..

Them are the facts.

Yup.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
One time I saw a hippie with dreads and Birkenstocks at Costco. I don't go there anymore as they obviously have an anti-hunting agenda.

My favorite part of the hunting forum world������ When in doubt, call them a liberal. Cause even if true, that stings!!

I got to go cash my welfare check so I can buy my 2012 elk license!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ed_T
Has anyone seen one of the Patagonia Nano Puff Hybrid Jackets in person?

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/mens-nano-puff-hybrid-jacket?p=83320-0-065

The hybrid of fleece and insulation look very interesting. This might replace my Mont-Bell Themawrap as my active insulation layer.

The Mont-Bell Thermawrap is still king o' the lightweight insulating layers, IMHO. As far as I'm concerned, if it ain't down (again, Mont-Bell down jackets rule!), it's gotta be Thermawrap.

Last edited by seattlesetters; 07/14/12.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by seattlesetters

The Mont-Bell Thermawrap is still king o' the lightweight insulating layers, IMHO. As far as I'm concerned, if it ain't down (again, Mont-Bell down jackets rule!), it's gotta be Thermawrap.

To each his own but I had the thermawrap and wasn't impressed, not warm enough for my uses.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
AL, I agree. A jacket that is really not fish or fowl. I'd sooner use a light fleece for the temps the Montbell works best in. If I'm gong to have a quilted, insulating layer I want it a bit warmer.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 68 invisible), 2,551 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,087
Posts18,482,855
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.