Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Has anyone else ever drew out for mcalester aap hunts before. Mine is second archery. Tips, pointers, suggestions, and do's and don'ts would be appreciated. Guess now I gotta start practicing with the ol recurve.

The .270 is the greatest hunting catridge ever designed. To dispute this fact is to only justify our loonieism in owning and hunting with inferior cartridges.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I got drawn 20 years or so ago. Didn't have any luck, but I was young, stupid and didn't know how to hunt anything at that age.

If you haven't already, check out [b][color:#3333FF]Oklahoma Shooter Forum.[/color][/b]

Do a search and send some PM's. There's a guy with a username DennisHoddy that I know has killed deer there, probably many others.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Don't over think it.
Those deer are not afraid of roads or the ammo bunkers so look for a shaded creek bed especially if it's a pinch point and hang a stand.
I shot my buck within 75 yards of an intersection and an ammo bunker.
I moved it there after walking back to some secluded spot where I didn't see a deer on the first morning.

I've got a digital copy of the hunt map that I can email to you.
You can use it with Google Earth or some other sat map site to get a feel for the area.

What area are you in?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LostArra
Don't over think it.
Those deer are not afraid of roads or the ammo bunkers so look for a shaded creek bed especially if it's a pinch point and hang a stand.
I moved it there after walking back to some secluded spot where I didn't see a deer on the first morning.

That's what I heard. Read of a guy who had success hunting behind one of the buildings. I think he hunted behind some leftover crates as a blind.

The deer were used to the crates and didn't pay them any attention. Deer apparently would come out in the evening to feed on the freshly mowed grass and bed up just inside the brush line.

I have also heard that the deer on that facility can hear a Ladybug fart at 50 paces and get EXTREMELY jumpy and nervous as the season goes on.....

Hope you have good luck.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Also be prepared for the demolition of the old bombs.
The earth will actually shake which is kind of exciting while sitting in a treestand.
Doesn't bother the deer a bit.

IC B2

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
I dont have any advice as its been over 20yrs since I was there. My wife killed a dandy and I killed a small buck. There were a lot of deer in there. They used to take you out and drop you off, on the way out and coming back in they would drive through areas that were closed to hunting and point out monster bucks that they had nick names for. That was then, I dont know how it works now, but have been told that there are still lots of really big bucks.
Back then you had to attend a meeting where this fellow who I thought was dressed up like Robin Hood basically chewed everyone out about things you could and couldnt do inside. Sorta pizzed me off at the time, but getting to see the big deer and getting to hunt in there was worth the "speech" the guy spouted.

Good Luck on your hunt!

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by LostArra
Don't over think it.

I've got a digital copy of the hunt map that I can email to you.
You can use it with Google Earth or some other sat map site to get a feel for the area.

What area are you in?

Not sure what area yet. When do they tell you your area? And do they let you set your own stad and drive or do they drop you off? The area map would be appreciated. Pm incoming.

The .270 is the greatest hunting catridge ever designed. To dispute this fact is to only justify our loonieism in owning and hunting with inferior cartridges.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
You should know your hunt area when drawn.

They limit the number of trucks in the hunting area so guys will get together who want to hunt in the same general area. On the scouting afternoon you get to hang your own stand(s). It's pretty easy to get matched up and it makes it more enjoyable.

It's a different kind of hunt with some strict rules but it's fun for a weekend especially knowing there are some monsters out there.

Check out last year's deer and some of the All Timers spotted on trail cams.
http://www.mcaapcontrolledhunts.com/

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Oh it's the boggy area!

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Clean out your truck when I got drawn the night I drive down there was a check point at the main gate and three wardens went through my entire truck. Everything was okay you just make sure you follow all the rules.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I hear that I've already checked in on the what you can't bring stuff. Thanks for the tip. So does anybody have any tips for the boggy area?

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
never been on that part that i recall, but i'm thinking if have a year anything like last year with an exceptionally dry summer, you may have drawn to a very good spot to be...

are you going to hand a stand when scouting? would your hunt area show up on a google earth search to look for any obvious terrain funnels, such as creeks, timber funnels, etc?

============================================================

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I did an image overlay of the hunt map on google. Lots of good looking choke points and water availiable in the area. It will be an early season bow hunt (second week of October) so food and water sources should be key. Also a small moon at night so hopefully they will move more in the daylight hours. I plan on hanging a stand or two depending on how my scouting turns out. I've been told bunkers make good stands. Should be interesting shooting recurve, I've picked up my grandpas for the trip and plan on putting in some serious pactice before the hunt.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Do they still offer kill a doe come back the next year? If so that would be my advice shoot the first doe you see!

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Not sure I think it's a year to year decision.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (1minute, 2500HD, 1badf350, 270cowboy, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 58 invisible), 2,347 guests, and 1,353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,168
Posts18,503,103
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.