Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
You should be required to have a guide in the Lee Metcalf Wilderness..

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
It would be safer that way. laugh

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Just messing with you Cocadori. I remember when you were a big backcountry guide in Wyoming, defending the WY wilderness hunting law, and saying that non-residents were foolish to hunt without an outfitter. laugh And now here you are...

You can't swing a dead cat without hitting an elk in all 4 directions of your house.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Greenhorn

You can't swing a dead cat without hitting an elk.

I stole that quote from one of my favorite Missoula treehugger buddies... who's now a WY resident.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I've occasionally fell off the wagon and given an undeserving "handout".. but I choose my hunting buddies carefully these days.

[Linked Image]

Is that a PBR in the backpack?

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Have always found places where game ends up by hunting where others don't. Greenhorn's method is quite effetive, but being 20 years older I've also found a few pockets that most people pass by, though quite so far back.

In the past few years I've occasionally been startled to find a few other folks in my "secret" places. But I keep finding more, so it all balances out--as long as I don't tell anybody....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Greenhorn is now cool since he drinks PBR cans...grin...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
The place we hunt in 360 has had ever-increasing wolf sign over the past 11 years since I started going, but it still holds a good resident elk herd.

I'm no expert...just 4 elk for me, 12 total for my group (average group size of 2.5)in the last 6 times drawn (drop camp, non-guided).

One of my buddies has been doing the MT thing for 25 years, and we've been befriended by a now retired senior USFWS game warden, an outfitter friend, former guides, a part time Hawaii/Montna rancher friend, etc.

All of this has greatly helped us extremely out-of-place non-residents from Hawaii.

NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
Hunter Education Master Instructor
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Cocadori

Correct as I've only been in Big Sky for a year.

Cacadori,

If I recall correctly, didn't Greenhorn shot his elk in your backyard when you were in Cody?

Now can shoot his goat in you backyard in Montana.

What are the odds?

smile

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Miss typed should have typed in the Big Sky state.

But I'm only less than 45 min. from all 4 units.

Old n slow.... If they was my back yards my last name would be Turner. Technically I'm in GH's back yard. He'd have to drive west to be in mine.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Just messing with you Cocadori. I remember when you were a big backcountry guide in Wyoming, defending the WY wilderness hunting law, and saying that non-residents were foolish to hunt without an outfitter. laugh And now here you are...

You can't swing a dead cat without hitting an elk in all 4 directions of your house.

I think it was more like non-residents shouldn't go it alone in the wilderness Kurt. Besides back then it was advantageous for me to recommend NR's to hire a guide.
The Wilderness areas I'm talking about where I pounded around in are over 5 X's the size of the one you're familiar with.
In fairness Kurt, I think you know I was mostly referring to people who aren't familiar with hunting the west.

jus' sayin'

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I think it was more like non-residents shouldn't go it alone in the wilderness Kurt. Besides back then it was advantageous for me to recommend NR's to hire a guide.
The Wilderness areas I'm talking about where I pounded around in are over 5 X's the size of the one you're familiar with.
In fairness Kurt, I think you know I was mostly referring to people who aren't familiar with hunting the west.

jus' sayin'
Too funny...advocate a silly rule because it's good for your pocket, but think nothing of doing exactly what makes that rule silly(NR can't hunt but can do anything else in a wilderness area). Well, at least you are straight forward about it. Good luck this year.

Last edited by pointer; 07/22/12.
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by pointer

jus' sayin'
Too funny...advocate a silly rule because it's good for your pocket, but think nothing of doing exactly what makes that rule silly(NR can't hunt but can do anything else in a wilderness area). Well, at least you are straight forward about it. Good luck this year.

While I can understand GH's stance coming from NM and MT regarding the silliness. Maybe there is a reasoning behind it though. I'm guessing the majority of the NR's are not as versed in the back country stuff as individuals who live out west.

I'm not the only one who see's these as a negative. I have a few ways I generated income to support the family back then. I enjoyed guiding which was one. So of course I would advocate NR's using a guide to hunt with.

I'm guessing most guides in WY would advocate this as well.

FYI, I'm not doing anything illegal. I am a resident of MT and have a couple hours here and there of experience in a wilderness already... after next week I'll have a few more... that seems to be enough, right wink so I'll give it a go this year. Seems to suit me.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Good luck Ric! laugh

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

675 members (160user, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 73 invisible), 3,091 guests, and 1,392 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,479
Posts18,471,757
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.