Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I received the Magnus Stinger plus sharpener and now ready to install inserts in my arrows was waiting for the heads so i could line up inserts with Cock Feather on my shafts. I also have a bunch of 5 gr brass washers and will tune the Broadheads by adding 5 gr at a time if needed.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I would like to hear how well they fly for you.Mine shot just like my 125 field points.

bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I shot around 40 shots today at around 15 yards and was bulleye 90% of the time. The Magnus fly just like Field Points . I can't wait until archery deer season to try one on a Whitetail. Bare shaft tuning really payed off and the arrows fly true with no yawning or wobble. I love this new bow and my instinct shooting is coming back faster than i anticipated after being out of the stick bow business since the 80's . The brass washers weren't needed.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I use the Magnus Stingers and the old greenie Bear Razorheads out of all my stickbows.

Both are extremely easy to sharpen and they fly great. They are of a real similar design with the lightweight 'bleeders'.

bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I used the Bear Heads back in the 70's and they shot decent but not as well as the Magnus do today

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Well, I'm partial to old Bear recurves, especially the 1959-65 era Kodiaks. It just wouldn't seem right shooting anything but a Bear greenie out of them. lol

Seriously, I like both heads about the same. Both are great imo.

bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
When i used the Bear Heads i hardly ever fool with the flimsy bleeder blade and just used the heads without them , just could tell the difference. I'm better at matching the shafts to the bow today , than back when i first started bowhunting and was broke 90% of the time and just couldn't afford the best in those days, but the Bear Razor Heads shot pretty well with my equipment then that i could afford then which was a Bear Recurve and it wasn't there top of the line , somewhere in the middle.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Probably a Grizzly. Bear recurves from the 70s in general lack the quality that they had in the 60s. They were all made from stained maple, the tips were crude and the limbs were 'chunky'. But a 1960 Kodiak is as nice as any custom bow made today. Brazilian Rosewood and REAL attention to detail. They are very collectable and very expensive today.

Most of the time I don't use the bleeders on the Bear heads either.

How's your shooting coming along?

bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Much better than i expected . I haven't gotten past 15 yards yet but can keep 90% in the bull at that distant. I will increase the distant until i get to 30 yards and won't shoot past that distant in the woods . I never take a shot past 30 even with my compounds. I have the patient to watch the deer until they feed into my 30 yard range or under . I can hit a deer past that distant but won't take a chance on crippling one.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The best way I've found to keep track of my shooting is to use the NFAA blue targets and shoot 300 rounds. Anything above 240 is outstanding trad shooting.

My limit in the deer woods is 25 yards. In the elk woods I push it up to 30 or so.

IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Hope they work out for ya Bea, a Bud of mine broke one of those damn things on a Elk, found the arrow with the broken end still screwed in but never found the bull sick

IIRC he was shooting a big Bowtech, think it was called a Samson or something.

He went back to the old tried and true Muzzy heads, same thing I shoot, I'm behind on new tech, but those old Muzzies have been good to me. wink

Gunner

And I can give ya his phone number if ya wanna talk to him about it.

This Dude is no lightweight hunter, he has lost five Wives due to hunting. eek he's very serious about it. LOL

Trump Won!
bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I tried the Muzzy's and could never get them to shoot as well as the NAP Thunderheads that i use in my Mathew Compound. Muzzy is a killing head tho. I just wanted a two blade cut on contact head for my Longbow and the Magnus had the best reviews of the two blade heads and after shooting them i now know why, how they kill , that has yet to be seen .

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
The Magnus Stinger Buzzcuts may do quite well at the lower speeds of your Longbow, but still, if ya ever have any concerns, I'll hook ya up with Buds cell#. wink

Gunner

Trump Won!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by gunner500
Hope they work out for ya Bea, a Bud of mine broke one of those damn things on a Elk, found the arrow with the broken end still screwed in but never found the bull sick

IIRC he was shooting a big Bowtech, think it was called a Samson or something.

He went back to the old tried and true Muzzy heads, same thing I shoot, I'm behind on new tech, but those old Muzzies have been good to me. wink

Gunner

And I can give ya his phone number if ya wanna talk to him about it.

This Dude is no lightweight hunter, he has lost five Wives due to hunting. eek he's very serious about it. LOL

I talked to the head of Magnus about this very issue, he posts on Bowsite very often. Mike Sohm is his name. There were many breakages with those heads due to a faulty design. They have since changed the head and it's sound now. They changed it about 5 years ago.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
10-Roger GITM, Thanks and I'll let my old Bud know, he may still be a bit spooked of the name though. laugh

Gunner

Trump Won!
bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
They are guaranteed for life if you break them they will replace them free of charge even if you shoot them into a brick wall.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My son made his first bow kill with an 85gr Magnus 4 blade Stinger out of his compound set at 40 lbs. At 20 yards, the arrow poked out the opposite side about 6". The sow weighed 110 pounds, and we saw it go down.

Great heads, but no where near sharp enough for me out of the package. I sharpned them with a Lansky and finished them on a very fine stone.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
10-4 Bea

And heck of a hunt for the young man there Sako, kudos to ya Bro for startin' 'em early. wink

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks brother gunner wink

The Magnus company is top notch. We are trying some new heads this year: Viper Tricks. Just sent off for some.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I'll pass this info on to my old Bud, he really liked the way Stinger Buzzcuts of old flew in his bow.

And yer boy looks like a young Chuck Adams smile he may well be ready to whack and stack BG animals for the next 80 years. wink

Gunner

Trump Won!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

654 members (06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1234, 79 invisible), 2,599 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,530
Posts18,530,824
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.