Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Right now gentlemen, I have received 3 applications to Pieter's generous offer for a complete hunting safari, All Expenses Paid, All the winner has to do is pay his airfare to and from Africa.!

Pieter has also graciously said that the winner can bring his spouse as an added bonus if so desired...

So right now we have 3 Contestants!

While wishing those 3 Gentlemen the best of luck on their entries, one would hope that this offer would receive a much better response....

so dust off the old keyboard, and submit a brief note as why you'd like to go to Africa to africanhuntcharter.net

I even set up a special email account exclusively for this endeavor....

cheers and best regards
seafire

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That is a very generous offer and I hope that guys fight to take him on it.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Doc: I sent them my views via email yesterday.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
It's a very generous offer and I hope more compete for the opportunity. Personally as vet (20+ years and now retired from active duty) I don't feel that I'm owed or entitled to anything other than what the government agreed to provide me in exchange for my service. I was always proud and honored to serve but I didn't do it for recognition or in order to be treated differently than any other citizen.

Maybe raffling off the Safaris and using the proceeds to help some wounded vets who could make such a trip would be a better way to go.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And that's great thanks atoms. The idea is to thank all who have served to ensure that we, the rest, can sleep safe at night. I served and I know it was not easy at best. It also felt like nobody (except your parents) ever cared what happened to you.

This is a gesture to say thanks, someone cares. If anyone entering feels they do not want to bring a spouse/girlfriend/boyfriend along then that's their choice and so be it.

And thanks to Seafire for his consistent help without ever having asked for anything in return.

IC B2

I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
I served in Vietnam 3 tours I served in both the USN enlisted and in the USMC as an officer. Glutton for punishment. LOL. I don't need for any special recognition for serving. I was injured in the CORPS and had to leave but serving was all the stroking I needed. I get my benefits from the VA, for now don't ya know with Obama who knows how much longer. I am 65 and my wife of 45 years and I would enjoy a trip to Africa but don't feel we deserve any thing special. She was with me through each of my 10 years and if and if anyone deserves recognition she as well as all military wives does. Thanks for everything just knowing that someone cares brings tears to my eyes. Thanks for that. We all gave expecting nothing in return so this bit of recognition is extremely heartwarming. Kinda dulls the memory of being called child killers, etc back when returning to the world.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I can only presume that those who claim to be veterans, and say they're don't need anything other than what they've already received, etc., just aren't interested in hunting, and/or specifically in Africa. No ones offering anything as a sop. If someone wants to do the trip/hunt, I'm sure Pieter will treat them with a lot of respect and want to get to know them and be a friend. You'd think some of these people think they're getting welfare or something, rather than a nice trip to Africa and some hunting. If folks like inpursuit, were real, they'd jump on this and stay a whole month, taking in the sites, etc., and consider it just a wonderful opportunity to got there with less expense. Pieter also does photo safaris, and am sure, guided tours to historical sites, etc.

I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
Tisha,

I understand your angst. It is really for those of us who served their country freely to now hold our hands out expecting something in return for which we feel no one is obligated to give us for our service. I would be thrilled to be a recipient. I just can think of so many who are just as qualified to receive recognition who don't . Not trying to defend my feelings. I am just humbled. Enough said I have nothing further to say regarding this subject. Have a wonderful day.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I served too, and only reason I haven't applied for this, as consider it a wonderful thing (I was in the Navy, which of course means volunteered), is because I've been to Africa 3 times already. So think this should be for someone who hasn't been there, and/or can't really afford a full blown trip, but might be able to swing the airfare. I don't see Pieters offer as being one he feels OBLIGATED to provide, but is a jesture of gratitude, which is a whole nother ball game.. but to each their own.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Agree totally....69, did about the same thing. Don`t feel the need for a reward. I also have all my original body parts...some guys do not.

I think you should pare it down to those folks.

I also think the cost of airfare a consideration.

IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Pieter deserves all our thanks for this great offer. I served 25 years active and reserve, have never been to Africa and would love to go BUT I was never in a war zone and, as stated above, have all my "parts". I think this needs to go to one of the recent guys who served multiple tours in the mid-east. They are the true heros.
LTC, MI, Ret.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by tisha
I can only presume that those who claim to be veterans, and say they're don't need anything other than what they've already received, etc., just aren't interested in hunting, and/or specifically in Africa. No ones offering anything as a sop. If someone wants to do the trip/hunt, I'm sure Pieter will treat them with a lot of respect and want to get to know them and be a friend. You'd think some of these people think they're getting welfare or something, rather than a nice trip to Africa and some hunting. If folks like inpursuit, were real, they'd jump on this and stay a whole month, taking in the sites, etc., and consider it just a wonderful opportunity to got there with less expense. Pieter also does photo safaris, and am sure, guided tours to historical sites, etc.

Tisha
I don't know you and you don't know me, but as a active duty soldier I found the wording of your post insulting to put it politely. I for one would love to hunt buffalo and kudu and if I ever get the chance Pieter will probably be at the top of the list to hunt with.
From the tone tone of your post I don't think that you have been exposed to all that many veterans. In general most are very humble guys who will always tell you that someone else deserves it more.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by dodgefan
Originally Posted by tisha

Tisha
I don't know you and you don't know me, but as a active duty soldier I found the wording of your post insulting to put it politely. I for one would love to hunt buffalo and kudu and if I ever get the chance Pieter will probably be at the top of the list to hunt with.
From the tone tone of your post I don't think that you have been exposed to all that many veterans. In general most are very humble guys who will always tell you that someone else deserves it more.

Agreed.

Would I like to hunt Africa? Yep but I can't afford it. Even as this is laid out. 2k in air fare and that doesn't count taxidermy fees. Just isn't in the cards. Why enter and take a spot when I can't go?

REAL people realize that not everyone wants to do the same things you want or believe that they deserve some sort of hunt over someone else.

As an ambulatory veteran with no issues I can't see taking that spot over someone else who has REAL issues arising from their service. They deserve it much more than I do. Has nothing to do with welfare.

Me

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
See these posts about letting the more recent vets have it or ones that were injured, etc. FINE, I'm sure Pieter wouldn't mind having those people. But when there are only 3 people even put their name in, in over a month, that tells me there are a lot of people out there implieing they're vets, and aren't or aren't really interested in going. There's no way, unless someones a section 8, that they can't come up with $2k in a year, to pay the airfare, and overnight at a motel going and coming. If someone's not interested, fine. Though quite frankly as a hunter, I find it hard to believe that somoeone doesn't want to go somewhere else to hunt. But, do know people like that, so.. I went to Africa the first time, and was a college graduation present to me, from me. I had put a deposit down, and when the company I was working for said, OH, we couldn't have told you we'd give you an unpaid leave to go on a trip, I told them to take the job and shove it, and borrowed the rest of the money and went.

IF, someone's a vet and not interested that's okay. But don't come on here and say, OH, I don't deserve anything but what I've got, etc. and see this as welfare or some crap. There has, obviously been NO other veterans apply. If they had, there was going to be a drawing, based on some criteria, and am sure "how deserving" someone is would be part of it. I actually see the non-applying as an insult to Pieter and his very generous offer.

See essentially none of the original bunch even over here looking at the new posting on the hunt. I'm also a vet and haven't applied, because I I've been to Africa, and wanted to leave it to someone else, but obviously no one else applying.

BTW: I was in the service, before a lot of you were born and do know a lot of veterans.

Ghost
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I would LOVE to apply. I'm a veteran of the Southeast Asia festivities. I've never been to Africa, and I would love to do so -- but my conscience will not let me apply for this. So many others are more deserving.

I've worked with/around quite a few of the current uniformed generation over the last 16 months or so, and I've met quite a few severely wounded young men who continually amaze me with their determination, commitment and patriotism. My heart swells with pride and breaks with each new one I meet, and I would put each and everyone of them through before I took one step in that direction myself. God bless them.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I ain't shy. I'll put my name in the hat.

Hunted there once already but would love to go again.
I've got an Argentina hunt already lined up for March 2013, hope this won't interfere with that time frame.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Email sent.

Thanks for such a great offer.

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Okay Boys... don't be shy.. we have FIVE contestants so far... only FIVE.. needless to say, we counted on more guys showing up for this once in a lifetime opportunity...

just put together a short essay or note to saying why you want to go to Africa... that's it...

even Corporal Klinger could come up with something...

the door's open until August 1...

just PM me, SEAFIRE with your entry...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Seafire, can you confirm you recieved my email?

Thanks.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ghost
IF, someone's a vet and not interested that's okay. But don't come on here and say, OH, I don't deserve anything but what I've got, etc. and see this as welfare or some crap. There has, obviously been NO other veterans apply. If they had, there was going to be a drawing, based on some criteria, and am sure "how deserving" someone is would be part of it. I actually see the non-applying as an insult to Pieter and his very generous offer.

Not applying as an insult - what a crock of $hit.

Not spending 5 grand on a hunt I don't want to do just so I don't "insult" someone? Riiiight. (flight, taxidermy and misc = 5k)

NOT INTERESTED BECAUSE I BELIEVE SOMEONE WHO'S GIVEN MORE DESERVES IT OVER ME.

Clear?

Me

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (1beaver_shooter, 117LBS, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1badf350, 59 invisible), 1,920 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,257
Posts18,525,226
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.