Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I needed a 270 WSM reamer for a customers rebarreling job. I called PTG first, they were out. Called JGS next, they were out. Manson reamers had one in stock, but it would need to be modified to accept JGS/PTG rotating bushings first. I was installing a Shilen #3 Stainless barrel on a CRPF Model 70 action. This reamer started chattering the moment it was deep enough to start the shoulder. So I borrowed a PTG reamer from another local Smith used the same bushing from the Manson reamer and the barrel then chambered normally. This is my first Manson reamer and probably is the last.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wanna sell that chattering Manson?

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Dustylongshot
This is my first Manson reamer and probably is the last.

Uuummm... OK.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
What is your offer?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
PM sent.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I needed a 270 WSM reamer for a customers rebarreling job. I called PTG first, they were out. Called JGS next, they were out. Manson reamers had one in stock, but it would need to be modified to accept JGS/PTG rotating bushings first. I was installing a Shilen #3 Stainless barrel on a CRPF Model 70 action. This reamer started chattering the moment it was deep enough to start the shoulder. So I borrowed a PTG reamer from another local Smith used the same bushing from the Manson reamer and the barrel then chambered normally. This is my first Manson reamer and probably is the last.
LMAO..

First barrel you chambered??? You'll be out of reamer manufacturers pretty soon once you actually get some experience..

laugh laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Once watched a 'smith in San Antonio, TX, deal with reamer chatter. His 'trick' was to cut an "X" in an oiled cleaning patch and slip it over the reamer at the chamber shoulder and proceed. Didn't stick around long enough to get the full explanation, but when I saw him a few days later I asked how the chambering ended he said 'just fine.'

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Redneck You need to read it again. No where did I say this is my first barrel job. I have been chambering barrels for 28 years and this is the first POS reamer I ever received. I have reamers made by Keith Francis, JGS, and PTG never a problem before now. One more thing I use a floating reamer holder.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I chambered my 7x57 with a Manson and didn't really care for the solid pilot, but the chamber came out fine using the Bald Eagle Reamer Holder. I really prefer the PTG reamers with bushing over the Manson and use them whenever i have a choice. Dustylongshot, just wondering what speed you run your lathe when cutting your chambers .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I have a variable speed so it is not exact setting, but it is 190 to 200 rpm's.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As in anything, there is no substitute for experience. If you have been chambering barrels long enough, you'll end up with an occasional reamer that chatters. It's knowing how to deal with and make corrections on the fly that sets the pro's apart from the amateurs. Most of the chatter problems I've experienced, yes, even on new reamers, could be solved with about a 5 minute workout with a stone. Imagine a working gunsmith having a barrel mounted up and dialed in, having to stop operations, effectively tying up the machine while waiting for another reamer to be made or corrected. Gunsmiths have to be able to solve problems on their feet. Of course if you break a reamer, midstream, and it happens, that's a whole other story. grin

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Malm
Not a gunsmith or machinist so go easy on me, but what typically causes reamer chatter? I would guess rpm, sharpness or maybe feedrate.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Speed, feed and sharpness all play a role, but on 99 percent of the reamers I have that exhibit a tendency to chatter, I find if I alter the lead angle slightly on the shoulder portion of the reamer, the chatter disappears. I have done everything from wrapping the reamer in pork soaked corn husks, to hopping on one leg while pissing into a Mason jar, but for me, nothing works faster than altering the attack angle of the cutter. And usually by reducing the angle a touch so it isn't as aggressive. Sometimes the other way. There's no hard and fast rule.

Once chatter is present, you sometimes have to carefully hand feed the reamer to get past the damage. But it works provided you caught it in time.

And for what it's worth, I have Dave Manson's reamers, and if one produced a little chatter, I certainly would not be ready to throw it away, or, publicly trash the company on an internet forum. I would contact Dave and talk with him. He's as anxious for your success as you are.

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Malm That is some funny [bleep]. I can and probably will stone the reamer to bring it chatter less. I made a rant because the maker should use better QC then me finding out. I know what your talking about having a lathe tied up. Luckily I have two lathes but i do like the variable one for chambering. Further info. I have 38-40 and 44-40 barrel reamers for relining the old lever guns. Both are Manson reamers and they both cut fine.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I chamber at a speed of 115 RPM's and have never had a problem . I have only chambered my own rifles and i don't do it for a living, so don't claim to be a Professional Smith, just someone cableable of doing his own work.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I can certainly see your frustration, but I have never been one to b!tch about a companies product without visiting with them first. I guess that you have never made a mistake and don't understand that it can happen.
I am sorry you had a problem and hopefully you can fix it. A couple times that I've had reamer chatter I wrapped wax paper around the flutes and changed my feed and speed. The same reamer didn't chatter on the next chamber for whatever reason.
Dave is a great guy and I know he will bend over backward for you.
Good Luck with it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have bought a number of reamers from Manson and they all seem perfect by my standards.

What kills me is how business like he is on the phone.

I am an amateur gunsmith building guns I do not really need, just doing it for fun.
So when i order a reamer, it is like I am ordering a case of Champagne, I expect a little levity.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Malm
Speed, feed and sharpness all play a role, but on 99 percent of the reamers I have that exhibit a tendency to chatter, I find if I alter the lead angle slightly on the shoulder portion of the reamer, the chatter disappears. I have done everything from wrapping the reamer in pork soaked corn husks, to hopping on one leg while pissing into a Mason jar, but for me, nothing works faster than altering the attack angle of the cutter. And usually by reducing the angle a touch so it isn't as aggressive. Sometimes the other way. There's no hard and fast rule.

Once chatter is present, you sometimes have to carefully hand feed the reamer to get past the damage. But it works provided you caught it in time.

And for what it's worth, I have Dave Manson's reamers, and if one produced a little chatter, I certainly would not be ready to throw it away, or, publicly trash the company on an internet forum. I would contact Dave and talk with him. He's as anxious for your success as you are.
Exactly.. And part of the reason a reamer can chatter is simply the selected chambering.. The .300H&H is famous for chattering reamers.. And yet the .375 rarely does..

I never go higher than 60 rpm when chambering..

Redneck You need to read it again. No where did I say this is my first barrel job. I have been chambering barrels for 28 years and this is the first POS reamer I ever received. I have reamers made by Keith Francis, JGS, and PTG never a problem before now. One more thing I use a floating reamer holder.
In 28 years this is your FIRST chattering experience??? Wow.. You should buy Lotto tix every week.. laugh

Ok, so you've done this a while. Fine, but I find it amazing you've never had one chatter before.... Nearly unheard of.

I gave up on any floating reamer holder.. I've got one - and used it from time to time early on in this biz but haven't touched it in 6-7 years.. If the barrel's set up properly in the lathe a floater's not needed. (IMVHO, of course)...

I remember talking to Dave Manson about the .300HH a couple years ago and asked him why this particular round is such a pita to chamber.. I asked what he might be doing differently and he said he did the .300HH only if he had to - his experience was that it was a pita also... I got a good laugh outta that one.. smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have a variable speed so it is not exact setting, but it is 190 to 200 rpm's.

Originally Posted by Redneck
I never go higher than 60 rpm when chambering..

Seems to be quite a difference.

I'm not a machinist, but I do trust Redneck's knowledge and abilities.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
The only time I've had issues with reamer chatter was quite a few years back on an Atlas lathe and working between center. Later after aquiring a much heavier Clausing and chambering in the headstock I have experienced chatter one time and I found the barrel steel at fault.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (907brass, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 300_savage, 10 invisible), 1,499 guests, and 876 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.