Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C
I've got a shotgun that needs a new pad, and figure I'll do the job myself. I have the pad already, but am wondering which jig to get to help me grind (sand...) it to fit.

B-Square, Miles Gilbert, B&R, all sorts come up when I do a search. All are relatively close in price, so I'm more interested in knowing which one will do the job the easiest and quickest for me.

So, for those of you that have done this a time or two, which one should I get?

Thanks!

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ColdBore
I've got a shotgun that needs a new pad, and figure I'll do the job myself. I have the pad already, but am wondering which jig to get to help me grind (sand...) it to fit.

B-Square, Miles Gilbert, B&R, all sorts come up when I do a search. All are relatively close in price, so I'm more interested in knowing which one will do the job the easiest and quickest for me.

So, for those of you that have done this a time or two, which one should I get?

Thanks!
I used the B-Square jig the first few times.. Never touch it now. Simply don't need it.. Once you do a few the 'touch' needed on the sanding disc will get you to .005 of the tape.. Then I finish up with it off the stock..

pm coming..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
C
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Redneck
Once you do a few the 'touch' needed on the sanding disc will get you to .005 of the tape..

Until I get to that point, my fear is that the "touch" will be the sanding belt to the wood! eek laugh

PM returned, and thanks!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Started installing my own recoil pads a few years ago using the Miles Gilbert jig. Nothing fancy, but it works. After I have the line scribed on the pad to be ground, I 'dust' the bottom of the pad with white chalk. The chalk fills the scribed line and is easier for these eyes to follow. I finish up the pad with it on the gun.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
R
RAN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I like the B&R jig. Since all grinding and finishing is done off the gun, there is no danger of marring the stock.

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by WiFowler
After I have the line scribed on the pad to be ground, I 'dust' the bottom of the pad with white chalk. The chalk fills the scribed line and is easier for these eyes to follow.

I had heard that before, but thanks for the reminder!

Thanks to Redneck's PM, I think I have what I need.

Thanks to all for the info!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (6mmbrfan, 907brass, BALLISTIK, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 8 invisible), 1,460 guests, and 919 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,219
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.