-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Last VHM, Mic admitted a mistake that turned out to be serendipitous for him, and I tried it myself today after a batch turned out poorly.
Basically, it's a new way to tumble moly. Instead of the balls and stuff, you take wet bullets and tumble them with powder, let them beat each other up.
Never seen such a color, and wow, are they SLICK. Doesn't rub off the metal much either. Seems much less finicky than the old method -- uses more moly but not enough to matter cost-wise.
So, if anyone is interested in how this works, write something and I'll keep posting as I go.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
You don't even need to use wet bullets, just use clean bullets. I've been moly'ing for years with no shot. Just dump the bullets from the box into a pan, add enough cold water to cover plus 1/2 inch, put in a squeeze of dishwashing soap, and bring to a boil; yes, I've boiled thousands of plastic tipped bullets with no harm. After it hits a boil dump the load into a colander and rinse with cold water. Dump the bullets onto a towel and grab the two short ends and pick it up; will look like a hammock. Alternately raise and lower the towel ends to roll the bullets and dry them. Dump the bullets in large pill bottle, big vitamin bottle, or whatever holds the bullets with enough room to let them tumble and fits your tumbler. Put in a pinch (~ 1/8 teaspoon) of moly, tape the top on so it doesn't come loose in the tumbler, and tumble for about 30 minutes. Take them out and dump them on a double layer of paper towels and do the hammock thing again to take off any excess moly. Bullets will come out a dark silver that doesn't scratch off, and so slick you can barely pick them up by the tips. I'm still on the same jar of moly I bought 20 years ago; a little goes a long way.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well, Mic is God because he wrote about it where I read it....
He wrote that the hydrophilic aspects of moly did some kind of voodoo with the jacket.
I do your prep routine already, with Dawn and hot, hot water. Not boiling, but plenty toasty.
One thing I'm dying to know, KC, do you wax them (I don't) and if so, is your method easy cheesy?

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I used to wax them, before I figured out how to get the moly to stick so well... Now I don't bother. I even tried teflon coating them by tumbling in powdered teflon after moly, but didn't see an advantage. I did get tired of picking tefloned bullets up off the floor; talk about slick...

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Dave,
McPherson use to rant about people "not" waxing..
Did he say anything about waxing in his article?
Does he still wax?
Thanks..

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
IC B2

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Nrut
Dave,
McPherson use to rant about people "not" waxing..
Did he say anything about waxing in his article?
Does he still wax?
Thanks..

Only his bikini line... wink

John

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The thread title is blasphemy!!

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

John Wayne
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Seriously?

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
God doesn't need bullets, so beware who you call God.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
By the way, I tumbled another batch with the new method and it really came out super. Couple hours with damp bullets, then about five minutes in another jar with paper towel strips to get the excess off.
Need to figure out a way to vent the moisture, the bullets get warm and I should make a vented lid with a "filter" of some kind. But this new way is way better. The tactility is "slippery."

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
...moly...some kind of voodoo...

The only two things in your post that need repeated.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I quit fooling with moly a while ago. Have found that Dyna Bore Coat is more effective in reducing bore-fouling of any sort. It only has to be put into the bore once, then last for the lifetime of the barrel, rather than having to be applied to every bullet.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 12 invisible), 1,526 guests, and 908 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.