Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
I am completely new to the rifle customization process. I am interested in buying a Kimber 84L Montana and replacing the synthetic stock with a laminate. My question is how much heavier should I expect the laminate to weigh compared to the standard walnut stock, assuming similar size and geometry? I am satisfied with the 6lb 2oz weight of the walnuts, and would be ok if the laminate weighed as much as 6 ounces heavier. I am trying to decide if this is possible, or if I should just go a different route.
Thanks,
CH

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am a lover of all things Laminate. They do add some weight, but are as stable as the best synthetics. Karnis will hopefully chime in as he would be the one to best address the weight issue.

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They can be made relatively light, but not as light as the synthetic or the wood. Under 30oz would be pushing it. Doesn't mean it can't be done but the amount of wood removal (contouring, drilling and grinding) would be extensive.

If you decide to go that route you need to start with a stock that is properly inletted along the barrel channel (it should match the barrel contour), start on the forend and progress to the butt stock, then hollow it out.

Here is one I contoured, removed cheek piece, drilled buttstock, hollowed out forend, recontoured grip and comb flutes and added a Decelerator and refinished. Came in at 37oz, down from 46 IIRC. For a Mauser in .35 Whelen.

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
That may be a real challenge. I haven't found anyone who makes a laminate for Kimber.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I can't resist: Why a laminate?

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CarolinaHunter
That may be a real challenge. I haven't found anyone who makes a laminate for Kimber.

I hate to say it but Richards Microfit inlets for the Kimber 84.

I hate to say it because Richards Lucky-if-it-fits can have some very serious issues with quality.

They do inlet for them though and they do offer laminates in many colors and styles.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman
I can't resist: Why a laminate?

Glad you asked because I was wondering the same thing.

I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
I like the look and feel of the laminates much better than synthetics. I have a hard time buying a nice piece of walnut to �hunt� with. I�m not overly hard on my equipment, but I don�t baby my rifles. Over the years I have noticed my rifles wearing nicer walnut stocks tend to stay in the house more. Therefore, I am looking to meet in the middle and buy/build a rifle I won�t hesitate to use in any condition.
I want a lighter rifle for deer size game, and if luck will have it, sheep or goat. I intend to use this rifle for at least 90% of my hunts. I am satisfied with the weight of the Kimber 84L Classic Select and was curious how close I can get to that with a laminate.
Plus, if I am going to turn into a loony, I figure I might as well be a little different.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd say your looking at up to a pound heavier with a laminate.

Your reasoning is as good as it needs to be to satisfy your desires.

I really like lightweight rifles and that makes me the odd man out over on the Savageshooter site since most of them tote truck axle barrels and massive stocks.
It's good to be different.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is a Micky Coleman built 280AI for sale in the classifieds. Trip the EDGE and put a Lam on it. If Micky built it, its a shooter. Remove as much excess wood as you can, put a decent weight scope and mounts on it and go kill schitt

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Any recommendations on cf members who specialize in making/fitting laminates??

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I love the laminates, have a flock of them.

Find someone that inlets for what you want or do not do the project!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 280Ackleyrized
There is a Micky Coleman built 280AI for sale in the classifieds. Trip the EDGE and put a Lam on it. If Micky built it, its a shooter. Remove as much excess wood as you can, put a decent weight scope and mounts on it and go kill schitt

It would be a shame to break up the combo that Micky put together.

But, if you wanted to, you could sell the Edge on the Fire, buy a laminate and have money in your pocket.

If you do your own finishing and bedding, check out the Boyd website and the Jon Sondra Sporter. They're much less expensive than a finished McM, etc.

I have a Boyd, Jon Sondra sporter on a pre-64/Krieger 6.5-284, pillared, free floated and glassed that shoots pretty well. In fact it's the gun I'm taking in two weeks to shoot speed goats in NE NM. Laminated stocks can be sculptured to fit, hard to do with synthetics. They're stable and work well. All that said, I'm a McM fan. The bottom rifle is an Ed Brown Damara with a McM stock of Ed's design. It now wears a Z3 4-12x50 with ballistic turret.

DF

Rifle on top is the 6.5-284, now wearing a Z5 3.5-18x44, also with an Outdoorsmans turret.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 08/11/12.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by setch

PM Karnis.

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by setch

PM Karnis.

DF

thnx...will do

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I am completely new to the rifle customization process. I am interested in buying a Kimber 84L Montana and replacing the synthetic stock with a laminate. My question is how much heavier should I expect the laminate to weigh compared to the standard walnut stock, assuming similar size and geometry? I am satisfied with the 6lb 2oz weight of the walnuts, and would be ok if the laminate weighed as much as 6 ounces heavier. I am trying to decide if this is possible, or if I should just go a different route.
Thanks,
CH

Don't do this.

See how easy that was?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why on Earth would you replace the MT stock?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by deflave
Thanks,
CH

Don't do this.

See how easy that was?

Travis

Travis,

He wants to build something, already has obtained a Mauser action. He's looking for help with his build.

Now, he could spend more than the cost of a Montana and have less. That's always a good possibility. But if he's intent on building a Mauser, he deserves a chance at success or a shot at a big mistake. If he learns from the experience, the cost is just tuition. If not, then it's all a dead expense.

DF

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Simply because I prefer the feel of a wood stock over synthetic. I have an itch for a light weight, all weather 280AI and would really like to have one with a laminate. I am not sure if buidling one on a Kimber action and getting it in the same weight range as the Select is even a possibility. My opinion is that a homerun would be a rifle scoped out under 7lbs.

However, I am tempted just to say the heck with it save up for a NULA.

Never claimed it to be the most logical thing to do. But if I based all my rifle decisions on logic I would have stopped buying rifles with my 30-06... Grin!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think you'd really like the feel of the MT stock. Most people do... laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

412 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 12savage, 17CalFan, 53 invisible), 1,861 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,089
Posts18,521,999
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.