Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Put a little 1899H Savage carbine with the straight wrist next to a M94 and look me in the eye and tell me which one is sexier! grin

[Linked Image]

As for the OP's question, given the pitting on the receiver, I too would opt for a full restoration (unless the pitting was a result of getting blood on it during a memorable hunting trip or somesuch, then I would leave it alone for nostalgia reasons).

Honestly, if I couldn't have a little Savage, then let it be a M64!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have a deluxe M64 here but I must say I am more partial to the M55's I have smile

To the original poster - it all makes sense now. I think having the receiver case colored would be something you would enjoy on your rifle and I see no reason not to do it. The pitting spoils it as a collectable and likely looks unsightly. Your plan would provide you something enjoyable to look at and share with others. It sounds like what would be best for you is to simply have the receiver case colored. There are likely those out there other than Turnbull who could do it much more reasonably. I know some of the Savage collectors have had some parts case colored and they looked darn nice. Gary (gnoahhh) likely knows who is doing it.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
there are people that might be able to fix that so no one would know...I've seen those after market case colors...pretty...but wrong....So many times look at some decent gun that got messed with....they shoulda left it alone...

if that is the gun in the first post pic...it is too nice to f it up.

Last edited by lauren; 08/21/12.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
It is in the nature of man to fiddle with guns, gadgets, cars...whatever. Your 64 is not unique or one of a kind and obviously you already have your mind made up.

You will never get back what you have paid into it. You will only make the next owner happy - unless you abuse it in the meantime. & if you don't restore it the next guy might. Or you croak and your wife gives it to your least favorite brother-in-law who shoots squirrels and beer cans in his back yard and leaves it out in the rain...so do it and then enjoy it and damn the purists!

I love the 64's, 71's, 94's, and 88's ...Winchesters, Marlins... Ahh heck...any and all lever rifles... but I REALLY love my Savage 99's the best!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The Winchester prevails in the popular contest for a couple reasons, one of which, is that, most people have not used a Savage.
One of the sayings amomgst us, is that Savage only made 1899's and 99's. The market doesn't much care for any other models they made. for me anyway.

we might consider that the 64 was W's crack at getting closer to what Savage was making. PG rifles, and you know they looked at that rotary mag, like drooling.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by lauren
there are people that might be able to fix that so no one would know...I've seen those after market case colors...pretty...but wrong....So many times look at some decent gun that got messed with....they shoulda left it alone...

if that is the gun in the first post pic...it is too nice to f it up.

I agree with Lauren - if it were mine I would try to get the blue on the left side of the receiver fixed. By the way, it would be helpful to see a picture of that side of the receiver.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by lauren

we might consider that the 64 was W's crack at getting closer to what Savage was making. PG rifles, and you know they looked at that rotary mag, like drooling.

I don't think Winchester was trying to get close to what Savage had in the 99. The Winchester model 1873 introduced more than 20 years before Savage Arms even existed, offered pistol gripped rifles.

The 99 is a nice gun. If you and lots of other people think that a gun that looks like someone took a belt sander to the side of it is "sexy or good looking" that is none of my concern. What bothers me is coming on to a Winchester Forum and smacking on Winchester's as second class to a Savage 99. I think the Savage Forum has plenty of traffic why play here?

In re: to the original post. Years ago at a K.C. gun show I saw a 64 at a really affordable price. Grabbed it turned it over and saw why. It looked as if it had been in a gun case that was wet on one side. A real heartbreaker. I vote to do what makes you happy with it.

Last edited by soybean; 08/22/12. Reason: math
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I just got rid of an 1894 src that was flat out new, except for one side that was all pitted. I mean new. I got 1200 because my friend needed the wood.

These guys know I smack the Savages too after 1 million.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
[Linked Image]Well I think there both cool! 25/35 and a 250-3000

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The 25-35 is worth more money, but, the 250 trounces the 25-35 for
killing.

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I think Turnbuls case colors are way too intense. I have never saw an original that way. if someone has a rifle with a original case colors on the receiver I would like to see it.post a picture please.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Does the Winchester .25/35 have both a saddle ring and a cresent butt? Has the buttstock been replaced? I look at everything with a collector eye wink

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
killed a mule deer doe with that 25/35 at 200yds one shot, bullet went threw both shoulders and exited she took about 15 steps and piled up! dont think I need anymore than that. also took out another doe with my 250 savage about 50 yds went down real quick! nothing funner than using some old shooting irons, sure beats the heck out of a scoped magnum

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
to boltman the 25/35 had a bad chamber and had to be set back and rechambered, so I had the barrel done half round and shorten to 21 5/8" from 26" and had the saddle ring put on my brother Bill did the work. I'd rather use it than just let it sit in the safe besides it still shoots good and will take any thing that I what to shoot at, besides it's fun

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Looks like a fine shooter and I am glad you are able to do just that with it. People often scoff at the power of the .25/35 but your experience with it at 200 yards speaks volumes. There's a reason our grandfathers and great-grandfathers didn't go hungry. And that reason had nothing to do with hyper-velocity, belted magnums, etc.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Since you guys are talking restorations, here is one done partly by an excellent gunsmith and partly by me. Family gun for many years or I would not have done it.
When I got it it had an empty rear barrel dovetail, dirty(!) bore, wood was sanded down(below the tangs even!), broken magazine spring, Western rubber recoil pad for length and a 1/8" wide x 1/8" cut through the bottom of the receiver. I located some parts and the gunsmith took care of the spring, receiver and most importantly he did an excellent job fitting the new replacement wood in my opinion.
I did restore the wood finish to what I felt it would look like on a gun from 1905 with 0-10% original finish. I think I got it close anyway. I found a missing nut for the Marbles tang, bought a sight elevator and found a filed down rear sight back home that was likely from that gun originally. This is the worst condition gun I own but that doesn't matter. I feel like I got it back to where it should be and am happy to be part of it's history while I am holding on to it.
Since I had the sights on and off a few times I recently shot up the last 60 year old ammo I was willing to sacrifice. I had one hang fire(shot 9)and at least one squib load I guess but shots 7 and 8 make me think it will be worth loading for.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by BradD; 09/01/12.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Hubert
I think Turnbuls case colors are way too intense. I have never saw an original that way. if someone has a rifle with a original case colors on the receiver I would like to see it.post a picture please.

I think the colors on case hardening weaken over the years even if not abused.

[Linked Image]

Here is a picture of my Marlin M1893 in 38/55 take down that is about as mint and well taken care of as can be and you can see the colors are fading and not as vibrant as they probably were when it was new.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Some pictures of it's other sides. The top seems to have kept it's color the best.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (1badf350, 06hunter59, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 51 invisible), 2,764 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,953
Posts18,519,323
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.