Print Thread
Hop To
S
sandpit Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
i was just given one,the wood is in great shape,the barrel has some pitting but the bore is clean as heck,im thinking it wasnt used much.im thinking about sending it in and have it reblued.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
sandpit,

You might want to borrow or buy the book "Winchester Slide-Action Rifles" by Ned Schwing. Vol. I covers models 1890 and 1906. Vol. II covers models 61 and 62. It is invaluable in determining what you have, though it won't provide anything relative to present value.

forepaw

"Only accurate rifles (that are light enough to be carried by a middle-aged man in rough country) are interesting"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If I had one like that, I'd have it charcoal blued and take it hunting.
They are collectible rifles, so the value will drop with a reblue, but do you care? I would plan on keeping it until I die, and leaving it to my nephew, a Mountie who loves hunting and shooting and would likewise think that was the coolest small-game rifle in the world.
If you have LOTS of money, get Turnbull Restorations to do the work.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
reblue is for amateurs, never, ever do that, buy another gun with the $$ you don't spend on.

S
sandpit Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by lauren
reblue is for amateurs, never, ever do that, buy another gun with the $$ you don't spend on.

thats your opinion,every gun i own is not going anywhere.i dont buy a weapon unless its a keeper,as far as being ameteurs thats your opinion.i have a rule that every weapon i own has to shoot,im not a collector snob that doesent shoot them.i have a 1938 es350b mauser (look it up)that is factory new and i use it all the time.i think ill send the mod 90 in and have the thing cleaned up so it will last longer.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by sandpit
Originally Posted by lauren

thats your opinion,every gun i own is not going anywhere.i dont buy a weapon unless its a keeper,as far as being ameteurs thats your opinion.i have a rule that every weapon i own has to shoot,im not a collector snob that doesent shoot them.i have a 1938 es350b mauser (look it up)that is factory new and i use it all the time.i think ill send the mod 90 in and have the thing cleaned up so it will last longer.

...and someday your children will inherit it and try to find out the value and then realize what you did! You are entitled to your opinion, but so is everyone else, in this case I agree with lauren. There is an old couple that are regulars at a show I attend, they are trying to sell off his life long collection now, they are not selling well, they have near book prices on all the guns but they all have either been drilled & tapped, re-blued or otherwise messed with. It�s your gun do what you want with it but if you post here you will get honest responses to your ideas.

Gene
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have an 1890 about that same year cause I think it has the March !908 catalog and ciphering they did on the cover to price the gun ivory bead, Lyman tang and abrick of shells, (that I am looking for) Mine is 22 long.

My gun is damn near new except for some pits on both sides of the reciever, it is what it is. Those things can be fixed so no one would know, or they can stay there. Never shot the gun probably never will, what good would that do? I bought an 1890 in long rifle one time to shoot, I only ever really loved 61's for shooting, magnums.

Last edited by lauren; 08/22/12.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (22kHornet, 160user, 1234, 19rabbit52, 1lessdog, 219 Wasp, 45 invisible), 2,357 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,858
Posts18,517,729
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.