Print Thread
Hop To
Page 18 of 22 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rattler
Originally Posted by dinsdale

Cool stuff in this thread always good when it gets kicked to the top.

definitely one of the top 20 threads of this site maybe top 10.....it should be bumped from time to time....great pics, great history....

Thanks for that. It, quite frankly, surprises me that this thread is still getting some attention after several years!

[Linked Image]

From earlier in 2011 from the Chanute, Kansas newspaper:

[Linked Image]

Cheers! [Linked Image]
-Bob F. smile

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why? It is the way most of us remember being introduced to Africa in our youths. They really were quite a remarkable coule.

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thing of beauty!

It's not the destination...
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by medicman
Why? It is the way most of us remember being introduced to Africa in our youths. They really were quite a remarkable coule.

Oh well.... You know how it is.... Things on the Internet have a way of being very temporary and transient. Quite frankly, it warms my old heart to see that some folks here are still interested in this thread and its topic.

Small update: Osa's Mauser rifle is still safely in my possession but, sadly, I haven't shot it yet even after all this time. frown I've just had other things on my mind such as the sorry economy and worries about my job. Such is life.... frown

Most sincerely,
-Bob F.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
SEPTEMBER 2011 WATER LEAK/FLOODING & COLLECTION RESTORATION PROJECT

"On Sept 24th the Safari Museum suffered water damage and flooding from the Santa Fe Depot's third floor humidification system. The first store-bought dress Osa ever owned, and the one that was purchased 100 years ago on her honeymoon with Martin Johnson, was damaged in this incident. Molly Winder, a Chanute native and gifted seamstress, had been making fine repairs to the dress. The plan had been that after Molly finished, the dress would be sent away for an archival cleaning and additional lace restoration. The dress has undergone archival cleaning now and has been assessed sound enough for Molly to continue her restoration efforts.

Funds for this initial restoration project and now for the cleaning of the artifact are provided by the interest from our museum endowment. Thank you to all the many donors and sponsors who have contributed to the operations of the museum to help us conserve the life story and legacy of Martin and Osa Johnson. Also thank you to all the volunteers who helped move artifacts and books out of harms way during this water leak and the subsequent flooding that followed it."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

http://www.safarimuseum.com/

Folks, please try to support the museum.... Thanks.

Most sincerely,
-Bob F.

IC B2

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Wow, first time I've seen this thread, also first time I've heard anything about the Johnson's; read through all 35 pages in one sitting. All I can say is very interesting & I am sincerely going to try & get my hands on their books (as funds allow).

Bob F, I don't recall you mentioning what work was done to the rifle? Was it just a cleanup?

Regards.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a rifle that has been rechambered to 9.3x338 which totally ruins the historic value but it has the exact writing on the barrel and same sights. Shoots very tight groups but I have no need for it since I have a 9.3x62 ,375 HH and several more heavy caliber rifles. To bad it was rechambered and drilled and tapped but it is what it is.

NOVIT EMIM DOMINUS QUI SUNT EUIS {Arnauld Amalric} "Kill them all,God will know His." Never trust Horses ,Women and very few Mules.A good rifle will let in lots of AIR AND LIGHT.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Redhawk75

Bob F, I don't recall you mentioning what work was done to the rifle? Was it just a cleanup?

Regards.

Yeah, that's basically it. Nothing was done that would detract from the collector value or historical importance / significance of the rifle. A good cleaning of the metal, repair of some oil damaged wood (in the internal stock inletting), the end cap was coming unglued and that was repaired, a good cleaning of the stock... those types of things.

Cheers!
-Bob F.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bob,

By the way, I haven't seen mention of it, but the story is in the 2012 edition of Gun Digest. If I missed it earlier, I apologize.

TT

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tsquare
Bob,

By the way, I haven't seen mention of it, but the story is in the 2012 edition of Gun Digest. If I missed it earlier, I apologize.

TT

Hey! Thank you very much for that heads up!! I had kind of forgotten that the article was supposed to be published in the 2012 edition of Gun Digest. I didn't realize the new edition was out. I'll have to get a copy.

Again, much thanks for that info! Most appreciated!!

Cheers!
-Bob F. smile

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bob
I will have to get the Digest too. Way too interesting a rifle and a life to let go unwritten or unremembered.

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Resurrecting this thread to say thanks again for the pictures.

I've been asking around for pictures of classic 'tween-the-wars Mauser sporting rifles and this Type A is about the most definitive one I've found.

I saved these pictures and am going to take them to a stockmaker to see how close he can come to this for stocking the left hand Zastava Mausers a bunch of us are getting. The finished product won't do full justice to this genuine Oberndorf but perhaps the use of it as a pattern will offer due homage to its memory. wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Without a doubt, this one of the finest threads in the history of the 'Fire.

Wonderful read, great rifle, amazing history.

THANK YOU!

Without a doubt..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yep this is prolly my favorite real hunting or rifle thread on the whole site, i bought the copy of Gun Digest especially cause i wanted the article on this rifle....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I enjoyed reading this thread. What a treasure that rifle is. I was aware of the Johnsons from my interest in photography and reading about safaris. I knew nothing about their origins or when they passed so this has been both educational and quite interesting. I agree with several who think this is the best thread on the whole site.

T
T
Great thread. I hope this rifle doesn't become a safe queen. Guns were made to be used, and there's nothing worse than seeing a fine rifle languish over worry if it might get a few dings and scratches.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Bob,

Don't forget about me if you decide to sell it. My daughter is a huge Osa fan and she'd love to shoot her first buff with that rifle!

Greg Rodriguez
Global Adventure Outfitters, Inc.
www.mbogo.net
(281) 494-4151
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Bob,

Thank you for this thread! I just finished Osa's book, "I Married Adventure" (first edition copy) and am still in awe of the things that she and Martin were able to accomplish.

As to the rifle, I am glad that you are keeping it "as is". From her book, it is not always clear which rifle she preferred, but there were several double rifles in .450 cal as well as magazine rifles mentioned.

She was evidently quite a good shot as she was responsible for obtaining quite a bit of the camp meat and stopped several charges of DG while Martin filmed.

A remarkable woman in a remarkable time.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
It truly warms my old heart that this thread is still being read and receiving a "bump" after I started this thread several years ago.

Thanks to all for your most kind remarks and comments! smile

The rifle is still safely in my possession although I have to very shamefully confess that I haven't shot it yet even after all these years. (Hanging my head in shame.)

Regardless, I'm very happy that folks are still enjoying this thread about Osa and one of her rifles.

Cheers!

Most sincerely,
-Bob F. smile

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BFaucett
The rifle is still safely in my possession although I have to very shamefully confess that I haven't shot it yet even after all these years. (Hanging my head in shame.)

Ye Gods, Bob!

Find out when Osa's next birthday is, then set aside this date to shoot that rifle!

Take pictures for us. Post them here! grin

John

Page 18 of 22 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (257_X_50, 222Sako, 1_deuce, 2500HD, 257 mag, 1minute, 62 invisible), 2,573 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,562
Posts18,473,169
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.