Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Gents I just purchased a very nice Sako (my first one) Deluxe in 300 Win Mag. It'a absolutely bootiful but I digress. Anyhow my gun shop tells me I can purchase Leupold rings made to fit the Sako WITHOUG having to buy the Sako base/ring kit which runs close to 200 bucks. I'm not looking to save money, I just want to do it right so if the Leupold rings work why not? jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Leupold does have ringmounts that will work, I have a set on my M75, .270 hunter Stainless. Been on it for 9 years, no problem. I would recommend you consider S&K mounts for that gun. They make a high gloss ring and sculpted base that is very attractive and will look great on that gun. They also have matte,if you prefer.I just put a set on an L61R Deluxe. Maybe I can post a pic later. They are not cheap, but I would not cut corners on a gun that nice.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I would go with the one piece Optilock Ringmounts(not the rings and bases) From Brownells for $125.I also use the Leupold ringmounts which will work, but the Optilocks are stronger,use a recoil lug,less prone to rust,have more adjustment on the front dovetail,and use a ring insert which will not mark a scope.They are worth the extra IMHO.
[Linked Image]

With the Deluxe you might want to go with Conetrol or S&K for a sleek look.The only thing I don't like about thoes mounts is that sometimes the base will be slightly over the ejection port.It will function fine but I don't like the look.

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks gents, I want to do this right and it is a gorgeous rifle.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Here are a few ideas you can use on scope mounting a Sako. I just got another Deluxe in 264 to go with the 222 mag pictured here and I put Sako rings on it, that I got from the campfire at great savings. There are not better made rings anywhere, it is a matter if you like the look or not.

The Sako 222 pictured is with Conetrol rings/bases, they are very nice and clean, but a pain to install

The bottom Deluxe is a 300 WBY with Leupold Rings.

I got a PM from Grand, here on the Campfire, he has some 1 inch high Sako rings. He let me know after I had already gotten a set.

bobkipper, also on the Campfire has a set of 1 inch medium rings.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I personally like the original Sako Rings like Shrapnel showed. Otherwise, I'd be all over the Optilock ringmounts that RH recommends. The Leupold's will work, but I'd go with the above, They're extremely durable, and have a recoil lug that fits right into the sako dovetail. Leupy doesn't.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Cruiser1
Leupold does have ringmounts that will work, I have a set

YES I do too !!!but they suck.. Best if you can find them are the Burris Dual Dovetail rings with loupy DD bases

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I like the original Sako Ringmounts too.The problem is finding some in the condition that an excellent condition rifle deserves.They are usually lacking finish,and slightly rusty with boggered screws.If you can find some in great shape go for them.

On the other hand,The title says a Sako 75 which might make the Optilocks more period correct,if that even matters.

If you can find any,Lynx made some excellent ringmounts for Sako.They have all the benefits of Optilocks with the weight of the Leupold mounts.These were about $55 new.They are now discontinued.
[Linked Image]

I personally always hated the idea of adding another base,as many options use, to a rifle with built in bases.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 08/23/12.
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Found these at the Beretta Website on sale for 69 bucks in kit form (rings and bases):

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The two piece Optilocks work well,they are just taller and heavier than necessary.They also had very soft screws untill just recently.

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

I've had no problems with two-piece Optilocks on my 75 .308.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 68 invisible), 2,778 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,200
Posts18,503,641
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.