Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I've gone through my magnum rifle, high magnification scope, heavy barrel, beanfield type rifle stage.

As of late I've been trending toward lighter rifles, low magnification scopes, with cartridges that have muzzle velocities between 2500 and 2800 fps. For some reason Mannlicher stocked rifles have really caught my attention.

Over the last several years I've lusted for a Merkel K1 stalking rifle. The problem is I have stringent parameters. Has to be no more than 70% of MSRP,either 7mm or 30, cal and it had to be the Jagd Stutzen (Mannlicher stock), had to have the money at the time to buy.

Finally,

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I just got back from a hunt in the Capitan Mountains chasing hounds and bears up, down and sideways, over burns, rocks and cricks. It now has several well earned character marks.

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/Bear%20Hunt/IMG_0150-1.jpg[/img]

I'm spoiled for sure. This little rifle is a joy to "tote" and shoot.

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 08/23/12.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That is a very nice looking rifle in a great caliber. I sold my Merkel shotguns many years ago but your rifle makes me kind of want to go with that brand again.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Good snag!

How does it shoot? My bet is very accurately--and I bet you like the trigger as well.

I've got a K1 standard rifle in .308, as well as a 47E 12-gauge side-by-side that's one of my favorite shotguns.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
That is a beautiful rifle and you've actually hunted with it. Good on you. I have a standard K1 in 270. Got it from Cabelas. I guess I paid about full price for the rifle but that included a nice new Sworo scope so I figure I got a pretty good deal. Essentially a free scope. The rifle is accurate. Likes 140 Accubonds. I like the mounting system. I can wrap my hand around the rifle at the balance point. Carrys real nice. Seems to weigh about 3 lbs! Well, actually less than 7 lbs with the big scope. I didn't get a dandy fitted hard case with mine though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great looking rifle and thanks for taking it hunting!! I could like one of those.

IC B2

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Awesome rifle!! There goes my champagne taste over riding my beer budget. cry

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The ONLY thing wrong with a Merkel is the price! Wish they'd make a "bare bones" model for those of us with modest means. Unlikely; they probably can't make the nice ones fast enough!

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Last edited by cmg; 08/24/12.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I like that... a lot.

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
cmg, do you have an importer/dealer for Haenel in the US? (My German is nonexistent, except for a few gun terms....).

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Darn nice rifle.

Them Germans know how to make a fine shootin' iron.

Nice photo's.

I sent you a PM with some questions.

Mitch

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer but how he hunted it.
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter

Geedubya,

That is a magnificent rifle in every possible way.

Congratulations.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very nice rifle. You are now spoiled forever. If I may offer a piece of advice that I do when hunting with my Blaser K95, Beartooth stock guards over the stock work fantastic for protection. Best $13.00 you will ever spend

http://www.beartooth-products.com/shop/stockguards-smoothskin/-stockguard-smoothskin-brown.html

G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Freedumb1,
I replied to your PM.

GWB

G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Good snag!

How does it shoot? My bet is very accurately--and I bet you like the trigger as well.

I've got a K1 standard rifle in .308, as well as a 47E 12-gauge side-by-side that's one of my favorite shotguns.

Sir,

I have not taken the opportunity to wring it out. As I stated, I've been on the prod for one of these for a couple years. I got this in hand two weeks before I was to leave on a bear hunt. My go to load in the 7mm-08 is the 140 gr. Accubond over 43 gr. of W 748.
This particular rifle is throated long, so I loaded my first rounds at 2.850 OAL.
I did my usual barrel break-in with 50 strokes down the barrel with a bronze brush and jb bore paste/kroil mix.

Took three shots to zero at 25 yds, then a couple more to get to get close at 100 yds.

Here are the first two 100 yd groups using the load mentioned above at an oal of 2.850�
[Linked Image]

It was +/- 95 degrees F the day these were shot. Needless to say it don�t take long for the barrel to heat up.

A couple days later I loaded up some 170 gr. Sierra Spitzers, thinking I might go heavy for caliber. The rifle didn�t like them much at all. At that second range session I also took my Browning Micro Medallion, also in 7mm-08 to check zero. I use the 43 gr. load in this also, but with book length rounds at 2.780 OAL. They tended to group better.

Here is the sequence I settled on for the hunt. My idea was that if a bear was treed, the shot would be 30 yds. or less. If I got set up on a running bear that would not tree, it would be 100 yds. or less.

First two rounds at 100 yds. are almost touching (7 O�clock).

[Linked Image]
Next I fired at 50. Dead zero

[Linked Image]

Next two shots at 25 yds. The low shot is with the scope. The high shot is with irons (scope removed)

[Linked Image]

The final shot would be the hole at 4 O�clock on the 100 yd. target. This sequence probably took 5 minutes as I had to move to three different benches with my rest. Once again it was hot and the barrel did not have time to cool. Whether it is a true sub inch gun I can�t say. But for me and the critters I hunt, I figure I�m good at 100 yds or less.

As to the trigger. I've several rifles with set triggers as well as varminters that break at under two pounds. This has a selectable trigger that breaks at 2.6, 2.4 and 2.1 lbs. IIRC. That's fine for a stalking rifle.

Best

GWB

As an aside, never one to let well enough alone, I did adjust the elevation two clicks up before I broke the rifle down to put in the case. grin

Last edited by geedubya; 08/26/12.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the ton of information.

I am officially bitten.

This is precisely why I love this website.

When gentlemen take great pictures and explain their latest purchases, chocked full of loading information, targets, hunting pictures.

What more can you ask for from others who share the same passion/obsession.

Thank you for sharing your experiences with your new rifle.

Mitch

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer but how he hunted it.
G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Be sure and do the same with yours. wink

Best

GWB

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
GWB,

Thanks for the info. It will be interesting to see how the rifle shoots in cooler weather.

Mine ia .308 with 24" barrel and standard forend, very short with a schnabel. It also has a long throat. I load it with 150 AccuBonds seated just shy of the lands and 46.5 grains of Varget, which gets just about 2900 fps and around 3/4" accuracy.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Two shots touching at 100 yards is about all the accuracy a fella needs for 95% of hunting, methinks. With a break-action single shot, that third shot tends to be just juvenile self-expression....

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Mesa
Two shots touching at 100 yards is about all the accuracy a fella needs for 95% of hunting, methinks. With a break-action single shot, that third shot tends to be just juvenile self-expression....

Sir,

Although I do quite a bit of load development and shooting at the bench, it is all done with the thought in mind of knowing within a 1/2" or so, say to 250 yds. of where the bullet will impact. I usually shoot 3 shot groups over a chrono to get a reasonable idea of velocity and which bullet and powder combo will give the velocity/accuracy combination that most pleases me. Believe it or not I often do one shot groups. I find that on most of the game I hunt one shot if placed correctly is all that is needed. I would posit that a good test of a hunting rifle would be to take and shoot 1 shot out of a cold barrel at the same target on three different occasions/days at the same distance. I do this with most of my hunting rifles. It's amazing what a difference absolute confidence makes.
In this particular instance I had removed the scope for the 25 yd. shot with irons and wanted to be sure that when I re-mounted the scope that it would return to zero. This being a new rifle that I was to take on a hunt two days later, I had not had the opportunity to test it before. It was close enough. The third shot was icing on the cake and a huge increase in the confidence factor. I once had an old insurance mentor that had a saying, "when you know you know, and you know you know, confidence replaces fear". I agree.

As an aside, here is an old Winchester I found years ago. It had set on a rack for six months or so at one of my favorite gun shops. Seems it had a hair line crack in the wrist of the stock and a heavy barrel, on top of that it was a push feed. Well I took one look. Lets see, Shilen barrel, crowned at 26", bedded and trigger job. No one seemed to want it, guess they wanted crf. I figured, what's not to like for 3 Benjamins.

[Linked Image]

anyway, it turned out that it shot pretty good. Here is a sequence that I fired a while back before I took it out to poke some hill country porkers.

Two shots fired (100 yds.) with about an hour or so in between to give the barrel time to return to ambient temp.

[Linked Image]

Two clicks right and we're ready to go

[Linked Image]

Best

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 08/27/12.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (160user, 1minute, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 58 invisible), 2,363 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,182
Posts18,503,266
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.