Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Just got my Geissele SSA-E installed and went out to fire a few rounds.I had a gunsmith friend of mine install it since I'm new to the AR platform.He seemed fairly impressed by the quality and ease of installation.

It is a world of difference from the stock trigger in my Colt 6720 and well worth the price to me.I like the fact that it gives a wonderful trigger pull while still using full strength springs and has no set screws to get out of adjustment.

I just wanted to let you guys who might be thinking of a trigger upgrade to know that the Geissele met my expectations and then some.It feels much better than a couple Rock River two stage triggers I have tried.I haven't tried the other top brands but I would be surprised if they were much better at the same pull weight.

Sorry if this sounds like a comercial.I have no interest in the company other than letting you know how well I liked the product.

GB1

68W Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Do you know about what pull weight you have? I'm thinking someday a nice single stage upgrade is in my M4's future. Thanks for the review.

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it." Thomas Paine
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Actually it's a two stage.The non adjustable advertised weight is 2.3 lbs first stage and 1.2 lbs second stage.I haven't had in anywhere that I can acurately confirm it yet but it is very close as I have other rifles in that range.

I thought at first I wanted a single stage,since that is what I have the most experience with but there are some safety benefits to the two stage in a weapon such as an AR.It is so smooth between the stages that folks not aquainted with good triggers might not even know it was two stage.It will pose no problem with a need to stage the trigger on a fast shot, yet a precision shot can be staged with the benefit of a lighter trigger than most single stages offer.The SSA-E uses full power springs so a light strike should not be an issue.

They are about $200 but worth looking into IMHO.I know that's about twice what a Rock River costs but $100 in today's economy really isn't much.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by 68W
Do you know about what pull weight you have? I'm thinking someday a nice single stage upgrade is in my M4's future. Thanks for the review.

Mine has the straight trigger. The Lyman digital, hooked on the very end of the trigger, read 2#8oz first stage and 4# 5oz total. Nice trigger, but it ain't no Gold.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by 68W

Mine has the straight trigger. The Lyman digital, hooked on the very end of the trigger, read 2#8oz first stage and 4# 5oz total. Nice trigger, but it ain't no Gold.

What do you mean by straight? What makes the AR Gold better to you? What is it's pull weight?

The Gold may be better,I don't have any experience with it.I didn't however want a gold colored trigger or a boxed unit and I don't think I would want anything lighter than this YMMV.I am very happy with the SSA-E.It's not what I would call a benchrest trigger but my AR isn't a benchrest gun.

IC B2

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What do you mean by straight?

His Geissele has a straight trigger shoe (where your fingure goes,) it's not curved like most triggers.

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I just had a bunch of Noveske parts put together in an AR rifle. I chose the Wilson trigger.

The Wilson I chose is perfect for rifle use, with a scope. I tested it this morning and the Wilson breaks cleanly at 3�-pounds.

My AR carbine, a Smith & Wesson M&P M-15TS had a horrible trigger. I put a four-pound Timney and it breaks crisply at 64-ounces every time. The Timney is absolutely perfect for up-close and personal work ... where you want no surprises and no ADs.

Having survived a few bad-nasties, I've learned that a trigger that is slightly heavy is way better than a too-light one.

By the way:

Steve's First Law clearly states that the trigger pull should never exceed the weight of the firearm. grin

God Bless,

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used a Timney for a few years. It worked very well for me.

Terry

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by dogzapper

I just had a bunch of Noveske parts put together in an AR rifle. I chose the Wilson trigger.

The Wilson I chose is perfect for rifle use, with a scope. I tested it this morning and the Wilson breaks cleanly at 3�-pounds.

My AR carbine, a Smith & Wesson M&P M-15TS had a horrible trigger. I put a four-pound Timney and it breaks crisply at 64-ounces every time. The Timney is absolutely perfect for up-close and personal work ... where you want no surprises and no ADs.

Having survived a few bad-nasties, I've learned that a trigger that is slightly heavy is way better than a too-light one.

By the way:

Steve's First Law clearly states that the trigger pull should never exceed the weight of the firearm. grin

God Bless,

Steve

Thoes bad-nasties was the reason I decided to go with the two stage.I think it will be nice for a precision shot also.I can easily feel the point of the second stage,then just as I think I am going to start applying a little more pressure,it breaks.I can't feel any creep or movement of any kind before the second stage breaks.

I am sure there are a bunch of great triggers on the market.I had no where to try even a few.I have shot rifles with good triggers all my life,including Anschutz position rifles.I say that just to qualify when I say that I think the SSA-E is a fine choice for an AR.I'm sure it isn't the only good choice but I am very happy with it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

And isn't it GREAT that we have so many excellent choices?

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The AR Gold is in another league, think highly tuned, 3.5# 1911 trigger, no BS, no exaggeration. It the primary sear fails, there is a backup. Boxed triggers shed blown primers, which, IME, is about the only thing that'll lock up an AR lower, unless it was assembled incorrectly. The Gold can be adjusted down to 2#. If you are building a prarrie dog/LR coy dog rifle, and are spending serious money on a barrel, get the gold. Having said that I have the same Geisselle as you do in my go-to carbine. It has been tested by the military quite thoroughly I understand.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
post some pictures of your groups with the new trigger, I have the same gun with the stock Colt trigger which I have learned to shoot but am interested in what type of groups you get with the new trigger.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Jimmyp
I don't mind doing that but I don't have my optic yet.I am still working with the BUIS that came with the Colt.I can shoot with them but I am not impressed with them at all.The aperature is designed in such a way that you get a lot of glare around the hole.My rear sight is also quite loose in it's parts.I can wiggle it back and forth a good bit.I haven't seen it changing groups yet though.

My front sight also seems to be ground slightly out of square.The FSB is not installed canted,the post it'self is slightly off.I'm looking for a good replacement now.

I can tell you that the off hand standing groups I shot yesterday were better than with the stock trigger and the speed at which I could accuratly shoot was nearly halfed.I was actually trying more to see how fast the trigger would reset and was very supprised at the groups I shot.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

650 members (160user, 1badf350, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,780 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,237
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.