Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Glad to see a few others like the idea. I just think that we need a 6.5 of some type to stick. I know the 6.5-284 does ok, the 264 win seems to be hanging on so there is a bit of a nitch. The older I get , the more I like the moderate recoiling efficant cartridges. They are easier for me to shoot well, kill great and usually are easy to load. I do think the creedmoor is a good design that deserves a spot in the market.....but so was the 260 Reminton. Just hoping the round is here to stay. savage 99.... That is one beautiful looking rifle. enjoy.......goodshot,

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
There are 23 types of factory ammunition on Midway for the .260. There are 4 for the Creedmore. While I like the Creedmore and every other 6.5 cartridge in existence, the .260 makes much more sense for the typical non-handloading guy if we're ever going to make a 6.5 cartridge stick. Federal Gold Medal Match .260 ammo is going to help with that effort tremendously if the street price will get right.

I think you'll be surprised at some of the positive things we'll see from the Kimber rifle line over the next couple years. I'm saving pennies again.

RLTW
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by greentimber
There are 23 types of factory ammunition on Midway for the .260. There are 4 for the Creedmore. While I like the Creedmore and every other 6.5 cartridge in existence, the .260 makes much more sense for the typical non-handloading guy if we're ever going to make a 6.5 cartridge stick. Federal Gold Medal Match .260 ammo is going to help with that effort tremendously if the street price will get right.

I think you'll be surprised at some of the positive things we'll see from the Kimber rifle line over the next couple years. I'm saving pennies again.
A fine argument,but once a rifle has proven to like a certain load,the other 22 offerings become moot....
The 4 loads for the Creedmoor have all shot under .75 in a Hawkeye hunting rifle....just sayin

Last edited by rifle; 08/31/12.

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I say no. Or at least not until they start making the MT in 260 again!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A 6.5 Creedmore Montana is only a barrel away...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Creed has some pretty badass factory ammo out there, for those concerned with that. They load a 140 A-Max and sell it really cheap. But, I know that wouldn't be of great benefit for a lot of folks uncomfortable using that bullet, which is understandable.

But, it'd be just about the perfect lightweight long range play/kill gun topped with a 3.5-10x40 with M1s. Damn!

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I'm pretty sure if I was to rebarrel I'd go 8" 22-250AI because they'll never do that. That said I'd buy a creed if they offered it!!!

I would also take Tanners scope recommendation. Either that or a 6.5-20x50....grin

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Kaleb, Ive been thinking .22-250 AI too. I have a .223 Montana, Im thinking the smith could rechamber the factory barrel, open the bolt/claw extractor and I could shove in a .22-250 follower all for a pretty cheap price tag.

75 Amaxs at light speed? It would be the perfect Bear gun.

Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

If I were smart enough, which apparently I'm not
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
6.5 "anything" has a small following in the us market. this doesn't means the 6.5 isn't good, just means the general buying public has never warmned up to them. i'd guess there is little chance kimber would put out a rifle in 6.5 creedmor. we all saw how well received the 260 was. certainly there is a place for the 6.5, but judging from past sales i'd be surprised if any 6.5 took off.

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I find it kind interesting that in the shooting sports certain nitches are hard to develop where as in the fishing industry guys and gals will try just about any new rod or concept. I realize there are major differences in pricing of products, but think about a typical bass fisherman today. Expensive boat with all kinds of toys screwed on to find , locate, troll........3-400.00 graphite rods are common, yet we can't make a 6.5 stick. Many writers have song the praises of various 6.5loads.....many great articles about the creedmoor ..... Even our own Mule Deer likes it I think. Maybe more companies need to push a bit harder. the 6.5 does work, and I think the creedmoor is a really sensible round much more versitle than a typical 25 caliber....yet the 25-06 and even the 257 Roberts are doing ok. Seems like it should work....but what do I know.....goodshot

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Could be wrong, have been b4 will be again. I feel that the Creed would sell some guns, but wouldn't become a top seller for them.

Personally, and this might sound kind of weird but remember who's saying it but....I'd much rather them offer the option of a barrel that goes .6" at the mzl in the cals that they already make.

Weird I know but that's how I roll.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Could be wrong, have been b4 will be again. I feel that the Creed would sell some guns, but wouldn't become a top seller for them.

Personally, and this might sound kind of weird but remember who's saying it but....I'd much rather them offer the option of a barrel that goes .6" at the mzl in the cals that they already make.

Weird I know but that's how I roll.

Dober

Agreed!

That and a LH option!

The old Kimber of Oregon M84's measure .600" at the muzzle and a better balanced rifle I have not felt.

Last edited by nsaqam; 08/31/12.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I think the guys at Kimber should look at what most guys are building.......I personally like a gun with a bit more meat as well. It would probably make their guns shoot better. Why not have some light versions, then a few that have a different barrel option like you are talking about. It is really fascinating to me that the market to a certain degree wants tactical stuff that weigh's a ton, or really lw rifles. What happened to the middle.......I'm talking about guns that fall in the 800-1500 range. Why ll of a sudden did we feel we need everything so light....I know it matters sheep hunting ...but most deer hunters stand hunt or spot and stalk out west . I agree, just offer a creedmoor. I really think this I a well thought out case ...I have. 250 improved that amazes .......creedmoor get a bunch out of that little case......I'm rambling now but I think your on to something Dober Kimber should listen, but chances are they will not. I'm a fishing industry guy...I'm sure thy will think I'm all wet.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I would absolutely buy one, seriously, but I would have to be relatively confident that it would shoot slow fired 3-shot groups well under MOA with the factory 140 AMAX load.

Basically the rifle needs to reliably hit 8" targets at 600 yards from a field position. If a rifle cannot do that and it's precision limits it to 300 yard reliable hits, I do not see a wind advantage of the high BC bullets and would rather be throwing a 150-165gr .308.

I have a .308 Montana and it shoots the factory Hornady 168 AMAX Superformance Match load reliably and well under MOA so I know the platform is capable.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tennessee-what kinds of groups do you get @ 600 yds from your .308 on a consistent basis? From a field position.

Thx
Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
"Field position" = a box stand equiped with a heavy/stable bench and range markers set at lasered distances out in the bean field. Piece of cake.

Jeff

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Buy a Ruger and help keep the guys at Pinetree Casting employed.

Jeff

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Tennessee-what kinds of groups do you get @ 600 yds from your .308 on a consistent basis? From a field position.

Thx
Dober

I have only shot my .308 out to 200. It is a reliable MOA or better from a solid position with a rear bag. I have enough confidence in that rifle to call it a "go-to". I have made a kill out to exactly 600 with a rifle close to the weight of the Montana, a Cooper Excalibur in 7-08. That was from a bipod using a rear bag with my body concealed in a drainage. For me that is the outer limit range with a rifle in this weight class.

Point being the 6.5s do start showing some wind advantage out at distance like 600 and beyond but rifles that are actually practical and precise enough to shoot at those distances are usually heavier than your typical flyweight rifle.

Last edited by Tennessee; 09/02/12.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

115 members (41rem, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 15 invisible), 1,892 guests, and 992 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,711
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.