Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
This article from Berger is a few years old but it does expose the marketing hype from Barnes Bullets.

Berger article...
Barnes� tests proves why Berger Hunting VLDs are so successful
Filed under: Hunting Bullets � Michelle Gallagher @ 1:56 pm

Barnes recently published test results on their website at the following url:

www.barnesbullets.com/information/bullet-talk/lab-tests/

*NOTE - In response to this article, Barnes rewrote the introduction of their report to address some of these points.

I encourage you to read their report before you continue reading this article. They shot Berger, Nosler and Barnes bullets into bone encased in ballistic gelatin at impact velocities consistent with (according to Barnes) 100 yard and 1,000 yard shots using a 7mm WSM and a 300 Weatherby. They also list accuracy results which I will address later.

Based on the opening text at the top of the report it seems that Barnes is working to provide the hunter with reasons why he should use Barnes instead of Berger or Nosler. The opening text says that �(Barnes is) finding that more hunters are choosing one bullet and discounting another simply because of a BC value. For hunting applications, frankly, this is unethical and careless for many reasons.�

Since Berger�s have the highest BCs among all bullets used for hunting we believe they are referring to hunters who are choosing Berger Hunting VLD and we couldn�t disagree more with their comment. In truth, Barnes� comments and test results have not been able to provide any factual evidence supporting their opinion that it is �unethical and careless� to choose the high BC, highly successful Berger Hunting VLD. Instead they have proven with their test results why Berger Hunting VLDs work so well on game. They also published some very unsafe information but I will get to that later.

Marketing Hype at Work

Regarding their opinion that it is �unethical and careless� to choose a bullet based on BC we disagree completely (of course) but not just because our bullets have high BCs. The fact is one of the most significant aspects of ethical hunting is the ability for a hunter to achieve proper shot placement. There is no arguing that terminal performance is important however if you can�t put the bullet in the right spot construction means very little.

A bullet with a high BC provides a hunter with less drop and drift along with higher impact velocity. Combine increased velocity retention (better drop and drift performance) with Match Grade quality (not Made for Match Shooting, which is different) and you get a bullet that is easier to put in the right spot. To ignore this important aspect of a hunting bullet�s performance is �unethical and careless�.

Another important consideration in choosing a bullet that is ethical for hunting is, of course, terminal performance (how the bullet performs upon impact with the animal). Barnes states that �not nearly enough focus is on the proper construction and function of the bullet.� The reality is most hunters don�t have the time, facilities or materials needed to focus their attention on the construction and function of hunting bullets. Hunters rely on bullet makers to provide products that work properly for their listed purpose. Hunters then use these bullets in the field and each product (like all products) develops a performance reputation.

Berger�s rapid growth as a popular game hunting bullet is due to producing consistently repeatable, successful results in the field. Why it works so well is hardly worth focusing on if you are a satisfied hunter with better things to do with your time. I believe that what Barnes wanted to say is �not nearly enough focus is on the proper construction and function of the (Barnes) bullet.�

Barnes marketing hype continues with the opinion that �a match bullet is designed to punch paper, NOT to take down big game at close or even longer distances.� To me this is one of the most ridiculous and insulting statements a bullet maker can say out loud to hunters. Has no one ever considered that you can make hunting bullets using Match Grade quality materials, procedures and tolerance!? Of course you can! Any bullet maker can if they want to but they choose not too because either they don�t know how or it is easier to make bullets of less than Match Grade quality.

Personally, I believe that bullet makers who believe that hunters don�t want Match Grade quality in their hunting bullets are out of touch with the advancements in hunting rifle manufacturing quality. With both improved factory hunting rifles and the ever increasing number of custom built hunting rifles we are seeing Match quality performance becoming the expected result. Many hunting rifles are capable of sub � MOA and even � MOA accuracy. This level of performance is unlikely with anything less than Match Grade quality hunting bullets.

I still shake my head when I hear someone say �Match Grade bullets are for punching paper�. Not anymore! To be clear, many Match Grade bullets are only for targets and not suitable for hunting. We make several bullets that are meant for target only. They say �Target� right on the label. What I am saying is that �Hunting� and �Match Grade� can and do coexist. Berger Hunting VLDs say �Hunting� on the label and the color of the box (blaze orange) makes the intended purpose of these bullets very clear even though the label also says Match Grade.

Important and Dangerous Science Based Inaccuracies

Barnes published test data in their report that is important to discuss in the interest of establishing science based fact. The first one I�ll comment on is less scientific than it seems but can�t be called marketing hype since it is printed test result data and not an opinion. They display two charts listing group size for five groups; each group is made with five shots (similar to benchrest competitions with which we are very familiar at Berger).

Bergers have been comparison tested for precision and accuracy against the best target and hunting bullets for decades by gun writers, at the range for personal enjoyment, in the field by hunters and in rifle competitions of every size. The results from these comparisons are well known by most serious rifle shooters. The result that Barnes publishes listing that their bullets shoot nearly half as small group sizes as Berger is an unusual result that many who have shot both brands will find hard to agree with. I am not saying their results are fictitious as I have no evidence to suggest they are. I am only saying that it is inconsistent with typical results.

Barnes does state under each chart that �Berger bullets typically produce better accuracy when shot in a throat designed for VLD style bullets.� This indicates that even Barnes knows that their results are very unusual although we are not sure what they mean by �throat designed for VLD style bullets.� There are no throat designs made specifically for the VLD that I am aware of in any hunting or competition rifles that have proven to be more successful than typical throat configurations.

Barnes goes further with science based inaccuracies with the velocities they publish. This may not have been intentional but the results are dangerous. I am referring specifically to the velocity shown for all the bullets listed under the 1,000 yard performance through bone into ballistic gelatin images. Before I get into that I must explain how I came to these conclusions. The chart below lists the data. Using the velocity Barnes listed for tests at 100 yards and the BC for each bullet you can determine the velocity from the muzzle all the way to 1,000 yards. I encourage others to do this with their own software.

For several years Bryan Litz has been fire testing nearly every popular long range bullet to establish true and comparable BC data. Bryan�s efforts have produced a wealth of information which will soon be available to all shooters in his book Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting. For this article I was able to use Bryan�s G1 BCs for all the bullets listed except for the Barnes 7mm 150 gr TTSX. For this bullet I used Barnes published BC of .450.

Bryan found through his extensive testing that Barnes published BCs are typically 5% higher than actual. This is likely due to the fact that Barnes� BCs are tested over 300 yards; Bryan�s are tested over 600 yards. In other words, Barnes published BCs may be perfectly accurate for the speed range they are tested, and the 5% discrepancy is likely due to the velocity dependence of BC. In this case I left the BC at .450 since I do not have scientific evidence that this particular BC is incorrect.

Using this data there are several facts that reveal themselves. The most important regarding hunter safety is Barnes� published 1,000 yard velocities. These velocities are not achievable using the velocities reported for the 100 yard gelatin test. More importantly, the muzzle velocities needed to achieve the reported 1,000 yard velocities are so high that they are at best not achievable at all and at worst extremely unsafe should a hunter attempt to achieve their published 1,000 yard velocities for any of the bullets listed.

Another fact that reveals itself related to down range velocity is Barnes� focus on 1,000 yards. If you achieve the muzzle velocities needed to match their 100 yard reported velocities (which are hotter than most manuals list but are not out of reach by those who work up their loads safely) the point at which the bullet�s velocity falls below 1,800 fps is at distances less than 1,000 yards.

All Berger Hunting VLDs perform effectively at 1,800 fps impact velocity or faster. On my chart, I list the yardage where each bullet�s velocity is slightly faster than 1,800 fps in the �Suggested Lethal Range� column. You can clearly see that none of the bullets listed are going 1,800 fps or faster at 1,000 yards. (I accept that the other brands may have slower velocities at which they can still work but if impact velocity is much slower than 1,800 fps kinetic energy falls below generally recommended levels)

Unethical and Careless?

Based on the results from their testing Barnes� focus on 1,000 yards is frankly confusing. First, they report impact velocities at 1,000 yards for all the bullets tested that are not safely achievable in the cartridges used. Then they ignore entirely that none of these bullets are suitable for 1,000 yard game hunting. They are all too light and are going too slow for this application. Berger Hunting VLDs are able to effectively reach farther than the other brands but even we don�t recommend game hunting at 1,000 yards.

I suggest that those who seriously consider trying to hit an animal with a Barnes bullet at 1,000 yards based on the provided data should reconsider this decision. Ask any serious 1,000 yard competitive target shooter if they would use any Barnes bullets in a match and see what they say. Keep in mind they are shooting at a known 1,000 yard range that will not change and on a target that won�t move and they still won�t do it during a match.

Highly experienced hunters who take shots at 1,000 yards do so fully aware of the risk and after much experience at that distance with the right gear that they know works. I am not suggesting above that hunting at 1,000 yards isn�t done successfully but those who do it are on the extreme edge of the game hunting bell curve. Long range hunting for most hunters is at a range less than 1,000 yards at which they know for sure they can make the shot. For some hunters, long range hunting is done at 300 yards. For others long range hunting is at 600 yards. Hunting at these long ranges is ethical if the hunter uses the right bullet, is practiced using their gear and certain they will make the shot. So I must ask the question, based entirely on what Barnes� report suggests, who is being unethical and careless?

Barnes Proves Why Berger Hunting VLDs Work on Game

Setting aside the �who is acting ethically� question for a moment the Barnes� bone in gelatin test is meant to show terminal performance on impact with bone and tissue. Barnes specializes in deep penetration and high weight retention bullets. This is something they have been doing for a long time. They don�t want to consider that there are other ways hunting bullets can be successful. Instead of evolving, Barnes will stay focused on convincing hunters that their way is the best and only way hunting bullets should work.

It is our position at Berger that an enhanced alternative option to this type of bullet is a bullet that penetrates the first inches of tissue and bone and then dumps its energy through fragmentation into the vital area of the animal. Barnes� tests prove that their bullets still work the same as they always have and that our bullets perform exactly as we describe.

You can clearly see from Barnes� images of their bone in ballistic gelatin that the Berger Hunting VLD penetrates through bone and then fragments into the area of the animal�s vital organs. This action cuts through tissue (internal organs) and transfers the bullets energy as this fragmentation occurs. This transfer of energy produces tremendous hydrostatic shock (much more so than a lower BC bullet that arrives on target with a reduced velocity). When the hydrostatic shock and the torn tissue (from the fragments) combine it creates a consistently lethal and larger wound cavity deep inside the animal�s vital organs area.

The extensive tissue and organ destruction along with higher levels of energy dumped into the internal tissue usually puts the animal immediately into shock which drops them in their tracks. They quickly succumb to blood pressure loss and/or multiple organ failure. Those animals that manage to stay on their feet after impact from a Berger Hunting VLD will not last long with this amount of internal destruction. This is why we say that �They won�t run away from a Berger.� Some might call this slogan marketing hype but it is in fact a brief description of the actual results you can depend on when using a Berger Hunting VLD.

From the beginning we have promoted Berger Hunting VLD as an alternative option. Bergers do not act like Barnes or Swift or any other deep penetrating and high weight retaining bullet. A Berger Hunting VLD does not dump its energy into the ground or tree on the other side of the animal. Our bullets do not create an exit wound (exit wounds can occur depending on animal size and impact velocity) for the specific purpose of creating a blood trail so a hunter can track their wounded game. We prefer that hunters enjoy their results immediately by watching the animal go to the ground when it is shot. We also prefer that the animal die quickly with a minimal amount of needless suffering.

Final Thoughts

Game hunting is done by an individual or with a few close friends. We understand that it is a very personal and frankly spiritual experience. Each hunter knows what type of experience they are looking for and each hunter should go into the field completely confident that their gear will get the job done the way they expect it to work. We understand that every hunt has the potential to be a once in a lifetime experience.

If you feel you need a deep penetrating, high weight retaining bullet to have the best experience then by all means please shoot Barnes or any of the many others brands that produce the same result. If you understand how the Bergers work differently and this performance appeals to you then give the Berger Hunting VLD a try. Based on the overwhelming number of positive feedback we are getting from hunters who already use them on game I can assure you that you will not be disappointed.

Eric Stecker
Master Bulletsmith

Randy claims to have invented the all copper bullet yet I've read an article from Jack Oconnor who knew and procured all copper bullets from Fred Barnes himself during WW2 when lead was not obtainable due to the war and high cost. Fred Barns was making them then. (Interesting that Randy bought the company from Barnes....)
Oconnor was no impressed by the bullet and doubt he would be today.

HR IC

N
ned Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
FWIW I have noticed a marked decrease in the number of posts/posters over the top about TSX/TTSX in the last year or so. Maybe the prices are a factor. I for one was never able to make them shoot extremely well. Orange box Bergers on the other had are tack drivers but I have never take game with one. This may be the year. Maybe it's just me smile

Ride well, shoot straight, and speak the truth.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by SU35
This article from Berger is a few years old but it does expose the marketing hype from Barnes Bullets...

Oh... you're gonna hurt some feelings around this place! shocked laugh

I expect the posse to be charging in to the rescue any time now!

Could be fun to watch this one... cool

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've shot lots of different bullets over the years and the majority of my success was with C/C stuff from a multitude of manufactures.Partitions have always been my #1 go to but recently the last few years have tried the X boolits in hunting scenarios and they do work quite well..no failures as of yet.

I have no beef with VLD's haven't tried em probably won't because their hype is all about BC..IMO BC to a point is "HYPE" itself and the holy grail of many shooters..average killing ranges and dead critters don't require high BC bullets to get the job done sleep.. I'll argue that till the cows come home until you prove me wrong..I'll take good penetration any day verses high BC and still keep on killin stuff as I have for many moons! wink

If anyone thinks they missed killig a critter for lack of BC then they don't know their gun or shoot enough..

Last edited by FlyboyFlem; 09/01/12.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
In some cartridges I shoot Barnes bullets with excellent results accuracy wise but have been unable to get them to shoot well in other cartridges even with a lot of effort expended. The only game I've taken with a Barnes bullet was a groundhog and it killed it well (big surprise).

I also use Berger VLDs in some cartridges. I've had less problems getting them to shoot well than I have with Barnes bullets and they did an excellent job on the 4 pronghorn antelope and the whitetail deer I've taken with them.

For some applications, Barnes bullets work very well and are a good option when lead free ammunition is required but they're expensive and don't kill any better than Berger VLDs.

IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like Barnes bullets.
Especially in cartridges and magazines which require shorter, lighter bullets to fit comfortably.
My example is my Kimber of Oregon M84 chambered for the 6x47. The magazine is only 2.340"ish long and the case is 1.850" long. The 80gr TTSX at 3000fps provides the length I need while still delivering great penetration.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
They make bullets in calibers I shoot that others do not (both Barnes and Berger).

Every bullet maker has their angle/strengths to pimp, and I don't think there are any who haven't.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem

If anyone thinks they missed killig a critter for lack of BC then they don't know their gun or shoot enough..

Because it's ok to gut shoot stuff..... as long as it's inside 'normal hunting ranges'?

Anybody who thinks BC is 'hype'.... don't shoot much in 15-20+ mph winds.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've shot lots of different bullets over the years and the majority of my success was with C/C stuff from a multitude of manufactures.Partitions have always been my #1 go to but recently the last few years have tried the X boolits in hunting scenarios and they do work quite well..no failures as of yet.

I have no beef with VLD's haven't tried em probably won't because their hype is all about BC..IMO BC to a point is "HYPE" itself and the holy grail of many shooters..average killing ranges and dead critters don't require high BC bullets to get the job done sleep.. I'll argue that till the cows come home until you prove me wrong..I'll take good penetration any day verses high BC and still keep on killin stuff as I have for many moons! wink

Good post.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've shot lots of both. I'm now monolithic only on big game (almost all Barnes) and Berger heavy in match bullets. They are both excellent products with strengths and weaknesses.

RLTW
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dogshooter

Because it's ok to gut shoot stuff..... as long as it's inside 'normal hunting ranges'?

For AVERAGE killing ranges, under 200 yards, the high BC bullets don't offer much even in 20 mph winds.
Comparing a flat based Barnes to the 168 Berger the difference at 200 is 2". 5" at 300.

I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dogshooter

You don't think we have wind issues in Nebraska?... whistle ..Like I said know your rifle, POI and adjust accordingly. smile

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
You don't think we have wind issues in Nebraska?

Let's see..... we have wind issues in Colorado.... and you have wind issues in Nebraska..... that must mean Kansas sucks. Agree on know rifle/load.... that's paramount. I'm just saying it's a lot easier.... if there's less to know...

Your average Partition(ish) drifts about 30% more than your equal caliber/weight Amax/Berger..... I recon you can decide if 30% is a lot....

nsaq..... I hear you on 'average hunting'... 'inside 200 yards'... etc. But, I challenge that all is moot if those are the criteria. None of us need a single thing other than a .308 and a 165 round nose if <200 yards and ,<10mph is all we're talking about.

But in the field.... 5" is enough to make a difference betwixt a paunch shot... and one that gets both lungs. If you don't have a 300ish/20ish club in your bag..... making pars on the prairie gets a lot tougher....

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm with you man.....this is what I think is going on. All of those recovered barnes bullets that performed flawlessly and all those one shot dead in there tracks critters that are shot with the barnes bullets is part of a worldwide conspiracy and everyone's in on it.

In fact last year when I hunted eastern Montana useing Berger bullets....out of seven critters many ran as much as 600 yds and not one animal was dirt. I finally figured out what had happened though. While I was sleeping in my motel a barnes agent had slipped in through the window and tampered with my Berger bullets to make them perform......well......like beetle dung.

Shod

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Can't even guess how many critters have died by Barnes via me and pards.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Barnes bullets do some things better than others - just like they were doing 20-something years ago. Just about any other hunting bullet these days can make an equivalent claim over more or less time. Some do more things better than others, and none of them are perfect in every way. Every individual needs to choose the bullet that does the things well that they expect of it and all will be good as long as they do their part. There will always be hype. When in doubt, a long, very successful track record might be the best way to err.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I like the way they hold together through heavy bones and they penetrate. Also found load development to be a snap in any of the cartridges I load for.

Partitions are good too. Hornady Interlocks have killed as much game for me as anything else, probably.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by the_shootist
I like the way they hold together through heavy bones and they penetrate. Also found load development to be a snap in any of the cartridges I load for.

Partitions are good too. Hornady Interlocks have killed as much game for me as anything else, probably.

Yep, yep, yep! (You must be doing something right, too! wink )

S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I'm sure not disputing the kills made by Barnes.

The article disputes the horse crap that Barnes says
about Berger and Nosler bullets.

fwiw, for distance shooting, I can shoot a Berger vld in
a 260 Rem and match the 264 Win mag shooting Barnes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Depends on which Barnes you're shooting.

Also, given the brute strength of a Barnes TTSX you can use a significantly light bullet and still be assured of complete penetration.

The lighter bullet at higher speed often more than makes up for any BC advantage of the VLD.

I love my Bergers and my Barnes and have a bunch of both.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
An article written by one company's marketing department criticizing another company's marketing department doesn't really do much for me.

If I was regularly shooting at over 500 yards, I'd maybe try Bergers. If not, I like the TTSX just fine.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Bergers are just the lasted fad some will drink the koolaid some won't.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Nosler Ballistic Tip is the best of both worlds IMO.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BWalker

You have wisdom beyond your years. See you in about 7 weeks or so?

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just read the whole article, I still think bullets like the Nosler Accubond and Partition offer the best of both worlds reliable expansion and penetration. In my new 35 Whelen I will be trying 200 gr bullets this year the Accubond for longer ranges and the TTSX for moose up close. I do question the TTSX's expansion at longer ranges but have liked what the Barnes bullets do at normal range. Not sure if I will try the Berger I want a bullet I can trust for the times we run into grizzlies at close range while hunting other stuff. I do agree Barnes article was definitely biased the Accubonds and Bergers can be very accurate, if they had been more objective in their testing they might actually find themselves selling more bullets, people can see right though that stuff.

Gerry.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
The thing that scares me is what happens to the berger if it hits a twig or even high grass before impact. Just cant warm up to a somewhat fragile hollow point hitting even light debris before having to do its penetrate then explode scenario.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

You have wisdom beyond your years. See you in about 7 weeks or so?

Dober

48 days and counting!
BTW I took a new 6mm Remington out the other day and tried three different powder charges of RL-22 in one grain increments and and 95gr BT's. All of them shot around a inch with the best one at a hair over .5". I loaded up 50 more of that charge and shot several more groups at the range and not one was over 3/4". I can sleep with that and load development is done on that rig...

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by kraky111
The thing that scares me is what happens to the berger if it hits a twig or even high grass before impact. Just cant warm up to a somewhat fragile hollow point hitting even light debris before having to do its penetrate then explode scenario.

If you hit an obstruction before the target there is a good chance your going to miss, unless the obstruction is right in front of the animal. Even then the pullet will likely not enter point on.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

If you hit an obstruction before the target there is a good chance your going to miss, unless the obstruction is right in front of the animal. Even then the pullet will likely not enter point on.

How big a bore do you need to shoot a pullet? Are Rhode Island Reds stout enough, or are one of the newer hybrids taht much better? grin

MAGA
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'm tired of all this election year blather. laugh
"I'm right and everybody else is wrong"
"Oh yeah, you're wrong and what I believe is the last word!!"
"Phoie, you're both wrong! Vote third party!" whistle

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K

Sometimes yes and sometimes no. This is the kind of statement that could start another big debate. You can't always catch an animal in perfect, sterile wide open tundras and fields. Hunting power lines or logging trails they are often standing in the "hairy edge".
Here in Wis I'd venture a guess that more bullets that kill animals have indeed hit some form of debris on it's way to a target than not.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Then your sending lead down range and hoping for the best IMO.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

How big a bore do you need to shoot a pullet? Are Rhode Island Reds stout enough, or are one of the newer hybrids taht much better? grin

Now thats funny! smirk

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
.277 130 gr. Barnes TSX @ 3,000 FPS = 59.8" drift (30mph) at 500yds
.277 130 gr. Berger @ 3,000 FPS = 56.5" drift (30mph) at 500yds

Wow, there are some wind reading [bleep] here. Pick one that gets your rocks off and shoot it. The rest is bullshcit, as per usual.....

S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Wow, there are some wind reading [bleep] here. Pick one that gets your rocks off and shoot it. The rest is bullshcit, as per usual.....

Wow, learn a lesson here bud.

Due to the 25 and 27 caliber rifles having slower twist Berger only produces bullets that will fit those twist in those calibers which btw, are not competition calibers as 22,24,26,28,30, calibers.
But due to the fact that many hunters like Berger bullet performance in their hunting rifles Berger produces them.

Take a look at some real stats...

.264 130 Barnes TSX @ 3,300 FPS= 63.2" drift (30mph) at 500 yds.
.264 120 Barnes TSX @ 3,400 FPS=57.5" drift (30mph) at 500 yds.

.264 130 Berger VLD @ 2,900 FPS=46.4" drift (30mph) at 500 yds.

That is a lot of drift difference for the 6.5's.

Basically, I can take a 260 Rem 130 Berger at 2,900 mv and best a 264 Win mag shooting a 120 or 130 Barnes at its higher velocity.

Also you need to take into account impact velocities.

The Barnes will require higher speeds to open them up. Shooting a 264 win mag to 650 yds the Barnes 130 is (and to be generous here) is spent at 1,776 fps for a hardly ample impact speed

Shooting the Berger 130 out of a 260 Rem at 2,900 mv the bullet is spent at 750 yds with a minimum impact speed of 1,787 fps.

That's a full 100 yds difference.
I can take a cartridge that fills 45 grains of powder and best a cartridge that holds 70 grains of powder due to the superior BC's of Berger bullets.

And that ain't no bull.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I perfer not to shoot 500 yds in a 30mph wind myself...

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge

AMEN!

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I like what one person said about one marketing department criticizing another. Sounds like something from a Dilbert comic involving happy hour-like office environs.

I've killed a bunch of stuff with Interlocks & ballistic tips and plan to continue in spite of their ho-hum marketing. Never seen much need for premiums, although I am getting fantastic accuracy from TTSXs & ETips in my 257 Roy and plan to try 'em out this fall.

These threads are always rather amusing. Can't wait to see the fireworks over the holiday weekend!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Isn't HYPE a synonym for MARKETING?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm waiting for the brown truck arrive. The box will contain:

200 .30 168 Hunting VLD
100 .30 180 Barnes TTSX
100 .30 180 Nosler BT
100 .243 80 TTSX

I don't discriminate.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wadevb1
I'm waiting for the brown truck arrive. The box will contain:

200 .30 168 Hunting VLD
100 .30 180 Barnes TTSX
100 .30 180 Nosler BT
100 .243 80 TTSX

I don't discriminate.

Neither do I as I have all those bullets on my shelf. Particularly liking the 80 TTSX out of my 6x47.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
The only "Bergers" that interest me have bacon and jalapenos on 'em grin, I'll continue to hunt with Swifts, Noslers, and Barnes bullets.

Gunner

Trump Won!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The only 'Barnes' that interest me have my boat, quad, and shop in them. I'll continue to shoot whichever bullet ends up where it's supposed to most often.....

S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S

And I either.

I only used 30 mph as that is what the poster used for comparison.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll never spend a ton of money to hunt trophies at extreme ranges and I haven't been asked to produce any hunting shows portraying that. So I'll be one of the few it appears to stay grounded and shoot game at reasonably short ranges so I know for sure what I'm shooting and so I'll have almost a 100% chance at a quick ethical kill.

My wild-azz guess would be that 95% of all table meat is shot inside of 200 yards. At those ranges, I like speed..... And I prefer to shoot lighter bullets at those fast speeds that deliver energy like big bullets.

I also don't shoot a 6.5. Never warmed up to them. I shoot 25's and will not change that. Way too much invested.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Speed is good and a light Barnes TTSX will give you max speed and tough construction.
To me that's a primary benefit of Barnes bullets, lighter weight, higher speed, and tough+ construction.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Barnes does state under each chart that �Berger bullets typically produce better accuracy when shot in a throat designed for VLD style bullets.� This indicates that even Barnes knows that their results are very unusual although we are not sure what they mean by �throat designed for VLD style bullets.� There are no throat designs made specifically for the VLD that I am aware of in any hunting or competition rifles that have proven to be more successful than typical throat configurations.

I'm not going to go so far as the author to proclaim "BS" on everything, but I have had reamers made to profile the ogives on certain bullets, especially long secant ogives. Being benchrest bullet makers, Berger has made bullets and ogive R to allow better, consistent groups in certain types of throats and leades.

They just hyped (or did they "BS"?) a bullet called the Hybrid for just that purpose.

Like I said; they all like to pimp and call the other guy the hater.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No hollow point blow up bullets for me!
I shoot mostly Barnes bullets and haven't been let down yet. Even an 80 grain ttsx at 550 yards out of a Roberts.
An oryx is gonna catch a 140 ttsx out of my 280ai this year.
My back up rifle, IF needed, is a 338 rum and 250 grain swifts.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by nsaqam
Speed is good and a light Barnes TTSX will give you max speed and tough construction.
To me that's a primary benefit of Barnes bullets, lighter weight, higher speed, and tough+ construction.

I also agree with you post regarding Barnes and the jump. My RUM has a lot of free bore and the 180 Barnes made finding the sweet spot easy. I loaded to magazine length and dropped in the usual max charge. Presto, four rounds into .637 bug hole.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
One may calculate the proper leade angle for a particular bullet's ogive design and have the leade cut to match-Bryan Litz

Litz also goes on to describe the sometimes finicky nature of seating and alignment issues that can be encountered with VLD, secant ogive bullets.

I'm pretty confident Bryan Litz isn't running an oversize improved ball seat without the ability to kiss lands that are cut at an abrupt angle......but the guy from Berger can get more mileage by playing stupid.

Last edited by HawkI; 09/02/12.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had my 300WM chamber cut for the 180 TTSX. I made the mistake of running the 168 VLD through her and never looked back.

Yesterday's 200 yard four round group is the norm. 10x10 steel plate at 600 is no longer a challenge

Impressive results on whitetails too.

[Linked Image][/img]

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Not a bad mistake, since the leade angle will be pretty close, since they are both secant ogive profiles.

But according to the anti-hype piece, I'm just marketing and hyping, and now you are too!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I reckon Remington who owns Barnes will find a way to ruin it..
[Linked Image]

Last edited by 7 STW; 09/02/12.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Remington doesnt own barnes any more than barnes owns remington. Remington was simply earlier on a takeover list of firearm related companies.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My bad under the impression Remmy bought them...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 16bore

You may wish to recheck those numbers as I came up with something slightly different. That or I should recheck my numbers....grin

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
And Bryan Litz says neither B.C. is correct....

Liars, all of them! (grins)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bryan Litz bases his BC off of a better and more accurate form factor.
Not a lot of bullet makers have the balls to start posting G7 BC numbers even if they're more accurate simply because the G7 number is nearly half what the G1 number is. They don't trust the buying public to make the distinction and I'd say their mistrust is well founded.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Litz also actually shoots the bullets.

His G1 figures don't jive with Barnes or Noslers, either.

Yet apparently Eric Stecker doesn't talk to Litz about throat geometry and VLD's, even though they work for the same company, and Barnes is just making stuff up.

I pimp batteries for a living, and people would rather believe BS and hype over reality and real use any day. Bullet companies are no different...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 16bore

You may wish to recheck those numbers as I came up with something slightly different. That or I should recheck my numbers....grin

Dober

blush

How about 71.3 for the TSX and 56.5 for the Berger....[bleep], guess I can't read the wind or a ballistics table. I ended up with 52.2 for the 130 6.5 Barnes at 3,300 not 63.2. Regardless, I ain't shooting in a 30mph crosswind either...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Who cares, there's the T/TSX and then there's the rest. There just isn't a better HUNTING bullet, except maybe the North Forks or the new Comined Technology CEBs.

Last edited by jorgeI; 09/02/12.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's your opinion and experience based on how you hunt and where. (And they do work well under certain specific conditions). Obviously "best" is not easily quantified in an objective sense, which is why not everyone agrees with your opinion. Thankfully there are more ways to do things right than not, so we can all be happy, hype or not. Now if Barnes ever decides to add grooves and a tip some of their old profiles they used with the earlier XFBs, they might be onto something. whistle (I doubt that their BCs will look as good, but they sure opened nice as long as they opened.)

S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Who cares, there's the T/TSX and then there's the rest. There just isn't a better HUNTING bullet, except maybe the North Forks or the new Comined Technology CEBs.

Hey, nice post. I feel honored jorge would add input here. Lots of different tools and methods to kill animals.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'm stickin with Nosler BT's...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Who cares, there's the T/TSX and then there's the rest. There just isn't a better HUNTING bullet

Good grief...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Long been my love as well, though this year may just be the year of the Berger... wink

Dober

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Long been my love as well, though this year may just be the year of the Berger... wink

Dober

I'm still of the opinion the NBT is a high water mark for C&C bullets... nothing I've seen yet, including the Bergers (albeit limited exposure), has changed my mind.

But I wish you well in your Grail Quest my good friend!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Mark, bought some 130 Bergers yesterday and shot some today.
A-c-c-u-r-a-t-e they are! Thinking they're going to get the call in two weeks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think it's hilarious comparing the TTSX to the VLD. They are totally opposite bullets, designed for totally opposite objectives! The TTSX is designed to expand and hold together at high-speed impacts, and to penetrate through the center of the earth and hit some chinese panda, or something. It's strength lies in short to medium range impacts where speed is high. The VLD is designed to be a sleek missile that grenades in the chest cavity, even at extended range impacts where the velocity has fallen off a good bit. It's strength lies in cheating the wind and killing well at long range.

They're at the opposite ends of the spectrum, and were never designed to compete for the same application, nor the same wallets.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Funny that you are so firm in your convictions, yet second guess yourself, twice, in the same sentence! blush

If forced to only have one "hunting" bullet, I'd go with that boring old fashioned Partition, and never look back...

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Mark, bought some 130 Bergers yesterday and shot some today.
A-c-c-u-r-a-t-e they are! Thinking they're going to get the call in two weeks.

What's your favorite powder with 130's in the .260, if you don't mind me asking?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ColdBore
Who cares, there's the T/TSX and then there's the rest. There just isn't a better HUNTING bullet, except maybe the North Forks or the new Combined Technology CEBs.

Funny that you are so firm in your convictions, yet second guess yourself, twice, in the same sentence! blush

If forced to only have one "hunting" bullet, I'd go with that boring old fashioned Partition, and never look back...

Actually there was no second guessing at all, I know some folks don't care for monometals so I threw in the North Forks which are excellent bullets. And I agree there are many, many other good bullets out there, Swift AFrames did yeoman work for me on several hunts including two buffalo, and of course MV also plays a factor. Partitions worked GREAT out of my 300 too. As for BTs, I know some of you guys swear by them but if you are shooting high-stepping magnums, they just don't hold up. A friend of mine last year had them penetrate poorly on a moose out of a 30/378 Weatherby whilst the TTSXs performed very well. If I was limited to ONE bullet brand the Barnes' would be my choice, but thankfully none of us are, I still hunt deer with Hornady Interlocks without issue, at >2700 fps they are a great bullet just as I'm sure the BT is.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
North Forks ARE essentially monolithic bullets, but with a tiny sliver of lead in the tip that assures expansion without the rare disadvantages of a hollow-point or plastic-tip. I've used them some, and they shoot well, expand nicely and penetrate deeply. But they don't have the fanciest BC (for those that care about or need it) and damned if I understand why they cost twice as much as monolithics.

I do find it interesting that Barnes chose to tear down Bergers, which work excellently, rather than accept the fact that different bullets work well within their parameters.

In my experience Berger Hunting VLD's have at least one more advantage than accuracy and BC: They also kill the quickest of any hunting bullet I've ever used. Would I use them on Cape buffalo? No. But they work great for lots of hunting, which is why I continue to use them for quite a bit of my hunting--and have yet to see one "fail" yet.

What exactly is a Combined Technology CEB?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sorry John, mis-spoke:
http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.c...-%20Handloader%20280%20-%20201210-11.pdf

Meant to say Cutting Edge (CEB). I;ve used them in my 450NE double with great results accuracy-wise. They also generate considerably less barrel strain than conventional bullets (like Woodleighs and Hornadys) and superb penetration. There's quite a bit of research over on AR forums as well as lots of reports from the field. I use them exclusively on the 450 now. BTW, my friend John (whom you know) loves those Bergers as well, according to him they are the most accurate hunting bullet he's used.

Last edited by jorgeI; 09/03/12.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
jorge,

Thanks for the extra info.

I have been fooling with the CEB's for a while now, but all in calibers from .25 to .33. Haven't come to any firm conclusions yet.

Did get some of their new plastic-tipped bullets in 9.3mm recently and haven't had a chance to try them.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I look forward to your report (just like I'm looking forward to your NEXT Optics book smile ). Over on AR there's a guy who goes by Michael 458 (also build custom rifles) has done extensive tests on them on and off the field and the Non-Cons (Non-Conventional)have performed very well on game. Their flat nosed solids have also done extremely well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Might as well throw these copper dogs in the fight. A .460 BC in 130/.277 can't be bad.
[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
I think it's hilarious comparing the TTSX to the VLD. They are totally opposite bullets, designed for totally opposite objectives! The TTSX is designed to expand and hold together at high-speed impacts, and to penetrate through the center of the earth and hit some chinese panda, or something. It's strength lies in short to medium range impacts where speed is high. The VLD is designed to be a sleek missile that grenades in the chest cavity, even at extended range impacts where the velocity has fallen off a good bit. It's strength lies in cheating the wind and killing well at long range.

They're at the opposite ends of the spectrum, and were never designed to compete for the same application, nor the same wallets.

Agreed...well said.They are tools for different application and nothing more.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by ColdBore
Who cares, there's the T/TSX and then there's the rest. There just isn't a better HUNTING bullet, except maybe the North Forks or the new Combined Technology CEBs.

As for BTs, I know some of you guys swear by them but if you are shooting high-stepping magnums, they just don't hold up.

I dunno about that. I have used the 30 caliber, 180gr version of the BT out of my 300 RUM enough to know I trust it completely. Given the very robust jackets of this bullet penetration isnt a issue even at close range, hitting bone and RUM velocity levels. They are also so easy to get to shoot handloading for them is a dream.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I look forward to your report (just like I'm looking forward to your NEXT Optics book smile ). Over on AR there's a guy who goes by Michael 458 (also build custom rifles) has done extensive tests on them on and off the field and the Non-Cons (Non-Conventional)have performed very well on game. Their flat nosed solids have also done extremely well.

Here ya go, Non-Con's @ AR. Somewhere buried in that thread is a pic of little brother at his shop. Says Michael is one hell of a guy and his shop is crazy with toys...

S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
What's your favorite powder with 130's in the .260, if you don't mind me asking?

Superformance.........in the Ackley version.

H4350 in the parent 260 Rem case.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Accubonds also

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Superformance.........in the Ackley version.

H4350 in the parent 260 Rem case.

Gracias. Mine will be delivered in 5 months or so.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by HawkI
Litz also actually shoots the bullets.

His G1 figures don't jive with Barnes or Noslers, either.

Yet apparently Eric Stecker doesn't talk to Litz about throat geometry and VLD's, even though they work for the same company, and Barnes is just making stuff up.

I pimp batteries for a living, and people would rather believe BS and hype over reality and real use any day. Bullet companies are no different...

I'll say........ the Berger guy completely lost me with the "energy dump" stuff,and more of the endless preaching like we see on here about shooters who don't use the highest possible BC bullet bordering on "unethical conduct" because excessive wind drift will cause them to gut shoot animals.Or that the only bullet capable of hitting an animal's vitals is a Berger.

That relegates everyone who uses anything else to some nether world of nebulous conduct.....I can do without the preaching. They sound like anyone else pontificating to others from the bully pulpit on liquor and sex....LOL! grin

Get tired of reading that stupid crap.

For the record I could care less about either Bergers or Barnes.I'll hunt with a mono when the greenie whackos legislatively jam them down my throat.

Last edited by BobinNH; 09/04/12.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BobinNH

For the record I could care less about either Bergers or Barnes.I'll hunt with a mono when the greenie whackos legislatively jam them down my throat.

Count me in the same camp...

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Fotis

Accubonds also

The Accubonds are a bit tougher to get to shoot IME. I have used them a fair bit, mostly the 30 cal 200 and 165gr versions. But anymore I don't bother with them as the BT will do anything they will with less cost and fuss.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Count me in the same camp...

I feel the same way.

Last edited by BWalker; 09/04/12.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T

Boy, am I glad we cleared THAT up! laugh

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S

For the record,
I'll continue to shoot lead.

Bob, what are you going to do with your 22 rifles? Shoot all copper in them?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
SU I have no idea! Keep shooting till they shut me down! grin

S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Can you imagine trying to shut down the 22 market! With all those millions of rounds already out there.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Jordan dont go dragging common [bleep] sense into this argument.

TSXs are the best because they crush bone and make two holes.

No, TSXs are unethical because they pencil through and have poor BCs.

VLDs are the best because they grenade vitals instantly and slip atmospheric like a mo-fo.

No, VLDs are explosive and unethical because they cant touch bone.

Good fckin' grief guys.

Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

If I were smart enough, which apparently I'm not
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The "green movement" is a success story with their marketing techniques. They never ever give up, they convince big biz, they convince politicians, they get legislation, the media buys it, teachers indoctrinate & society doesn't question. They sell it really well and here we are..............

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Barnes Triple shocks have not let me down. Longest shot was an antelope at 460yds and she ran about 50 yards and dropped. I like them because you don't get the blood shot meat loss you do with other bullets.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Who is this Ducky woman? smile

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
The tripple shocks that I shoot Grenade the shoulders and guts on deer, might as well throw away the side the bullet hits on, and perhaps the off side...120 & 140 out of 7 Mag

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Let me sum it all up for you fellas, if the bullet you use, no matter what brand, killed the animal you shot with it quickly without a lot of suffering, whether it didn't penetrate all the way through, penciled through with little expansion, didn't retain much weight, retained all it's weight, lost a petal, grenaded inside, lost it's core, lost it's jacket, had a high b.c., had a low b.c., had a high SD, had a low SD, way overpenetrated, dumped it's energy inside, outside, or all over the animal, it's a good bullet, regardless of what name is on the box it came in.

Every bullet company has their own bullschit story to sell more bullets, that's what marketing does, that's it's sole purpose, any product you buy is the same way, be it hunting stuff, cleaning supplies, or whatever, the only real way to know if it works for you is to use the product in the scenario you want to use it in, if you don't like that one, chose a different one 'til you find what you're lookin' for, end of story.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought some TSXs this year to give my 223 a try deer hunting,and because they were the lightest available for my 450 marlin.
I bought some ftx hornady to try in my 30-30.
I still have a few boxes of Nosler 95 gr BT for my 243 I loaded last year.
Im pretty sure all of them will work just fine.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I am not surevaboutball the wind drift numbers as I think the wind changes speeds so fast you have no idea what speed it is when the bullet arrives at long distance.I hunt all over but mostly Africa and just returned from Tanzania where I shot lion, 3 buffalo, sable,roan,eland,kudu,reedbuck,warthog and duiker with my 375 RUM loaded wit 300 grain north fork softs. This was my first time using these in Africa and I was shocked how well they performed. This was my 32 safari and I have never had so many animals DRT.I have been happy with Barnes TSX also and nosler partitions on plains game but not buff.With the cost of trophy fees and if you wound you pay I am not willing to shoot at long range. My longest shot was 277 yards on eland bull in a major crosswind, I did not even consider wind and the bullet hit within an inch of where I aimed strange with what tables say about drift. I am sure the Berger bullets work great but I honestly don't think any bullet could have outperformed the north forks maybe as good but no better. As for marketing, that's what companies do Ram trucks say the are the best and Chevy says they are and ford says they are better than both hey they are trying to sell trucks.barnes hype is no worse than nosler, hornady or Berger. Pick what you like shoot some game with them and pick.best thing is pick and go hunting as life is short and the longer you wait the bigger chance you will never do it.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Anyone setting himself up to "expose" marketing hype has a chore on his hands. I no of nothing that advertises itself as 'the 3rd best product of it's type on the market'!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by boomtube
Anyone setting himself up to "expose" marketing hype has a chore on his hands. I no of nothing that advertises itself as 'the 3rd best product of it's type on the market'!
laugh! Ain't that the truth.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

265 members (06hunter59, 160user, 1Longbow, 222Sako, 12344mag, 007FJ, 23 invisible), 10,182 guests, and 1,089 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,340
Posts18,546,391
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.