Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Enrique Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
AZ has unlimited harvest of these dove and open all year around. They are bigger atleast by looking at them.
I am wondering if they are any good or how they compare to mourning and whitewing dove.
Anyone fixed them?

Kique

Last edited by Enrique; 09/01/12. Reason: fix spelling of collard to collared

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I didn't even know that they grew collards in that part of the world.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Enrique Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Sorry for the spelling but yep we have the Eurasian and African Collared Dove in AZ according the the game and fish http://www.azgfd.gov/h_f/game_mourning_dove.shtml
I have seen bigger than normal dove with a black collar around the neck. Glad they are fair game year around. Give me and dad something to do and I bet they make good catfish bait.

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
I have,to me they taste a little like liver,but I may have overcooked them. They are in between a Whitewing and a pigeon in size. In NM the is no limit on them,but,once you limit out on Morning/Whitewing your day is done.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We eat them. They have a stronger flavor than the Mourning and White-winged doves, but are certainly edible. We either do ours in casseroles baked in the oven or I marinade them overnight and grill them with barbecue sauce to keep them from drying out.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
IC B2

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
I fry them along with the other birds.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My college wildlife professer went to school in AZ and he said on top of the dorm they sat traps for them and ate them all the time. I've never tried them but he said they were good. Of course he's kinda like me and will eat anything.

Otto is my co-pilot.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The collared doves I have seen in the SE appeared to be smaller or equally sized with local doves. Tn does not count them against the bag limit, but I have yet to see one here. Those I have seen were in Mobile AL.
Wrap breast halves in bacon, grill over charcoal and I bet they are good.

Last edited by LouisB; 09/02/12.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have eaten them and all dove tastes like liver to me! My favorite way to eat dark meat birds is to marinate in zesty italian dressing and bottled jalepenos then grill.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My place is INFESTED with em' wink.

Roger on the strongish flavor, but Chili powder and Turmeric seem to smarten em' up.

Gracie LOVES the fledgling chicks, eats em' whole........they fall out of the STUPIDEST and most half azzed "Nests" I've ever seen any bird build.

NOISY, in the daytime, thankfully they shut up in the dark.

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 09/02/12.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Never noticed a difference expcept for the size. They are considerably larger. We either fry them or grill them in a baking pan, wrapped in bacon with a jalepeno slice in the middle. We sometimes add cream cheese if we're feeling frisky. Perfect with jalepeno poppers.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
They smell more like a pigeon than a dove and have a stronger taste which can be mitigated by soaking in cold water a day or two with a pinch of baking soda.

Dove always tasted like liver to me until I was shown to cook until barely done, whether fried or grilled (with a slice of jalepenos stuck in the breast, marinated in teriyaki, wrapped in bacon). If pink juices run out the meat will then be tender and delicious.

Last edited by eyeball; 09/02/12.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
i eat them, and will have some for dinner tomorrow. pluck 6-10 of em', put in a baking dish, sprinkle with cavenders, add one can cream of mushroom soup, cover and bake at 350 for an hour. make some rice too. very good meal imo.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
How about hash? Thats all my 204 leaves from Eurasian and feral pigeons.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
we have lots of them here but they have a habit of hanging out in areas where there are too many buildings to shoot them. There's no closed season or limit on them if you can shoot them safely.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
they like to steal my dogs food, he's manage to catch and kill a few.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Have never ate these birds but for the comments about the wild taste. Soak them overnight in cold coffee, works for ducks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They taste fine. I like the dark meated birds in general, and the collared doves seem a lot like mourning doves, maybe a bit more flavorful. I was raised on wild game, and I don't mind some flavor, so I don't do things to change, disguise or hide it.

One way all doves are good is in spaghetti sauce. I bone off the two sides of the skinned breasts and use them as the meat in a marinara sauce.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What bad taste? How can you even taste anything that small? Theres nothing there

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by 19352012
What bad taste? How can you even taste anything that small? Theres nothing there

Dog turds are small, reckon how many you want?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (12344mag, 1234, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 160user, 1minute, 57 invisible), 2,510 guests, and 1,432 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,175
Posts18,484,632
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.