Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
375HH Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I'm looking at the Schnee's Granite boots or and Crispi HTG GTX boots for high-elevation Rocky Mountain backpack elk hunting.

For those of you that have them, how many miles does it take to break them in for such a hunt?

http://www.schnees.com/product/Schnees-Granite-Mountain-Boot/boots-shoes

http://www.crispiusa.com/new-hunter-htg-gtx-insulated.html

Last edited by 375HH; 07/09/12.
GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Might check this out for your boots

http://www.camofire.com/
Camofire.com
� CRISPI YUKON GORETEX HTG HUNTING BOOT (46% off) 189.00

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
25-50 miles or 2 weeks of wearing around, thats just a guesstimate when comparing them to my Lowa Hunters or Tibets.

BTW, there is not a right answer and I am sure somebody will say they dont take anytime at all to break in. I like the ankle support of these types of mountain boots but they can be very stiff at first. That could lead to blisters on the backs of your ankles/heels, atleast for me. Thus my recommendation but its for yourself to find out.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
One to two weeks of wear for the Crispis on my feet, depending on how much you wear them. I wear mine on the weekends for a day or two, takes about a month before I'd be comfortable wearing them 24/7 up and down the hills.

Agreed on the stiffness, they tend to hold the original lines well, and the heels can slip a bunch if not fitted right.

375HH Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks to Big W and to AH64guy. Reading your thoughts raises the this question in my mind: are you breaking in the boots, or your feet?

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Apparently just me, but my foot breaks into the boot instead of the other way around.

My Sheep Hunters fit my foot immediately. Can't speak for the Crispi.

My bad, I guess I am not the first with the "theory". crazy

Last edited by mtmiller; 07/10/12.
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
No - most boots break my feet in, and toughen up the soft spots. I'd say the Crispis were easy to break in, more in line with getting the boots to bend and flex with the way I walk and hike, no real hot spots or blisters. But that's the advantage of wearing them for a day or two swapping out. smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had to put about 15-20 miles on my Lowa Tibets and Kenetrek Hardscrabbles before they felt really good. My Crispi Nevada's and Laponia's felt good from the get go and after logging some miles in them I didn't notice any difference in fit and feel and I felt they were "broken in" at that time.

Lee

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I have 2 pair of Crispi's, Nevadas and Kanhada?,Nevadas felt great since the first time I put them on.I put alot of miles on them last winter in AZ.They have a softer sole.They are the best boot I have owned for comfort,have a wider toe box then others I have owned.
Kanhada were alittle stiffer but comfy,I wear them everyday for work.

I'm gonna order another pair of Nevadas and leave them in the closet,just in case they change them.

375HH Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Excellent feedback!

The Crispi's sound interesting. I'm having trouble getting confirmation of their durability under sheep hunting conditions from the few Alaskan guides I know -- "Not seen anyone show up in camp with them," etc.

Have any of you really put then to the test in sheep or goat hunting? In granite scree, heavy pack, side-hilling etc?

I'm open to new products, while respecting those that are proven...

IC B3

375HH Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by coues32
I'm gonna order another pair of Nevadas and leave them in the closet,just in case they change them.

That sounds wise - just as soon as boot makers make something that works they seem to go and change it!!!

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I started leaning towards a more comfortable boot due to knee problems.It has worked out great for me.I sheep hunted the last 8 years up here and will be wearing them if I can break away from work.I went through about every type of mountaineering boots without finding one that fit good.I'm done looking now.

I've been wearing the Kanadas for a couple months now with few skuffs, working road construction.
Miles @ Crispi is great to deal with also.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by 375HH
Excellent feedback!

The Crispi's sound interesting. I'm having trouble getting confirmation of their durability under sheep hunting conditions from the few Alaskan guides I know -- "Not seen anyone show up in camp with them," etc.

Have any of you really put then to the test in sheep or goat hunting? In granite scree, heavy pack, side-hilling etc?

I'm open to new products, while respecting those that are proven...

Crispi's are an Italian boot company, been in Europe for years, but only in the US market in the last few. They get a lot of use in the Italian Alps, I've worn them hiking in simliar areas, but not sheep "hunting" in Europe. You probably won't see much in reviews for them for a bit longer, they are still breaking into the American market IMO. Camofire.com has some reviews by users there, I'd wear them in the rockiest/steep terrain I could find with no reservations. I'd say it's similiar to White's boots out of Spokane, WA, the Northwest guys/gals known them well, but the East Coast has not heard of them. Maybe not the best example, but you can get an idea of how new they are here.

375HH Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Excellent feedback guys! I'll give them a call.

375HH Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Called and talked with Miles who was very helpful. We'll see how they fit. Also ordered Schenee's Granite to compare.

S
S
Had a chance to test the Schnees out yet? Looking at them as well. Have a pair of hanwags that may have to go back as I think they are a little too roomy in the ankle

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 375HH
Called and talked with Miles who was very helpful. We'll see how they fit. Also ordered Schenee's Granite to compare.

I'm curious...I cannot find a phone number to call Crispis customer service. What number you guys calling to get 'Miles'??

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have the Schnees Beartooth, which is a lighter version of the Granite. They fit my feet like a dream and were broken in within a week or less of just taking short hikes around the house. It may take longer for different foot types. I really like them and would highly recommend them.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I just got some Crispi Nevada GTX and have done 3 5 mile hikes with a 50 pound pack and they feel great. No break in for me. The fit my feet great and have had mi blisters or hotspots in them. First time I put them on was a 5 mile hike with 50 pounds and they felt great. I'm happy with the crispi.

S
S
Are the beartooth stout and stiff enough for high country hunts? Need something for late archery mule deer and elk out west.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (16penny, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 17Hunter, 163bc, 1234, 71 invisible), 2,041 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,829
Posts18,496,613
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.