Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn

Winchester-ers,

Have a question for you, please.

Old man here.
Long history with firearms (BB gun to M16 and all in between).
But I woke up recently and realized I was "rifle poor" (beaucoup handguns, sufficient shotguns, but no rifles! shocked , at least beyond my and my grandfather's old .22s, and... maybe a few military artifacts)
And rifle-less is not a good way to be.

So after thinking it over, I decided that my first (current) rifle just HAD to be a Winchester 94.
Practical, historical, universally useful. Right?

And me being old, I figured I'd get an old gun and we'd get along together.
(Me personally, I don't want no black plastic rifles, to each his own, but not for me, just give me old wood and blued steel.)
And so as long as I was going after a model 94, I figured I just ought to get me a pre '64 94.
And so I did.

This one is from the '40s. Just like me!
[Linked Image]
[I've taken better pictures frown but this one will have to do for now.]

Which brings me to the subject of my post.

I'd like to have some work done on old Betsy here.

It's just a habit I've gotten into.
I just sort of build a little gunsmithing $ into the price of the gun.
I really like taking something OLD and returning it to first class, top notch condition, like new, or better!

My worklist would be something like:
- thorough inspection and necessary work for 100% function and reliability - the gun's gotta run!
- some trigger and lever work (springs, polishing, etc.) for silky s-m-o-o-t-h operation
- if $ permits, maybe forestock and buttstock bedding

Do y'all have any really fine lever-smiths whom you would recommend for the kind of work I have laid out?

Much obliged for any leads or recommendations.

James

Last edited by JamesRJr; 09/01/12.

"Trouble was, I'd grown partial to the place, that sudden smell of fear, and the thrill of waiting up for the end of the world."

- Billy the Kid about the town of Riddle
- - - - from the movie "I'm Not There"

GB1

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Send it to Doug Turnbull for all the work you listed as well as a nice color case job on the lever and action. wink

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gostomski's in western Maryland has a good rep on Savage 99's. I haven't had a need yet so have no direct experience with them. They have a website.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Just shoot it...

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The actions on these guns get smoother and slicker with use. Is there any aspect of the gun that is not functioning well? I've never heard of forend or buttstock bedding on one of these. I've got to agree with Lauren unless there is some known problem with the gun.

IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks everyone.

Sorry for being "absent" for a while. Stuff, you know.

Was looking around for the smiths mentioned in thread here.

Came across... does anyone know anything about a "Mic McPherson"?

Much obliged,

James

"Trouble was, I'd grown partial to the place, that sudden smell of fear, and the thrill of waiting up for the end of the world."

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Mic worked over a Marlin for me, and he seems to know his stuff. He's written and published a lot, in addition to his gunsmithing. Pretty firm in his convictions, but willing to inform and educate. and he doesn't mince words.

FWIW, his turnaround was really quick, much faster than most smiths.

If you send him an e-mail, use a big font, like 18 point. Says he doesn't see too well, but it doesn't seem to affect his work.

All that said, I'm inclined to agree with the poster who said if it isn't broke, just shoot it. Also, I may be wrong, but I don't believe Mic does finishing work, just the functional mechanical stuff. You'd just have to ask him, and maybe he can recommend somebody to make it look nice.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn

I am glad to have gotten a few gunsmith comments.
Thank y'all for them.
I'll set about following them up.
James

Last edited by JamesRJr; 09/08/12.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (10gaugemag, 1badf350, 12344mag, 22250rem, 219DW, 204guy, 59 invisible), 2,463 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,871
Posts18,518,012
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.