Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I took for granted for a good many years the talk about minimum foot pounds of energy being required to kill such and such animals;I said "took for granted",not "believed" smile Really I paid very little attention to energy figures over the years, relying more on what I saw "work".And sort of concluded that bullet action had more to do with wounding capability than energy tables.The two are not the same near as I can tell.Energy figures do not take bullet construction and action into consideration.

Since then LR hunting has become more prevalent, and the big question in my mind was..."Gee...those bullets are really slowing down....they can't have much punch way out there".But I think the LR hunters have taught us a thing or two if we think about it.

I think the answers lies in the ability today to make bullets that (a) retain as much velocity as possible,and (b)can penetrate enough to reach vitals, and still (c)expand reliably at low impact velocity.

Because it is the expansion (mushrooming, fragmentation, call it what you want) that is the mechanism that destroys soft gooey stuff like hearts and lungs,not energy figures.

So that if a 180 gr 7mm bullet is lazing along at a paltry 1200 fps,penetrates to vitals and expands properly to induce trauma to the right soft gooey stuff,it is still a terrible shock to an animals vitals system,because that 180 grains of bullet has to go somewhere and destroy something....not much different really than if a surgeon went in there with a scalpel and made a hole in these vitals which would induce severe hemorage,a drop in blood pressure and swift death, which we all know can happen.

And apparently animals are more vulnerable to this kind of trauma than we previously realized,even at long distance....there seems to be enough empirical data (dead animals killed at 600,700,1000 yards?)) out there today to determine that such bullets fired from 7mm and 30 caliber magnums retain enough velocity to cause this kind of trauma inducing bullet action.I don't know how to integrate energy numbers into this, but they are for comparitive purposes only and my view is there is not much correlation between energy numbers and killing effect anyway.JMHO.

The one caveat in all this(really true at any range) is that you have to hit the vitals....and under some circumstances you may have to hit bone before you reach the vitals.Nevertheless,these LR bullets today, striking at modest velocity, are very long and have a lot of bullet material for their caliber and maybe retain just enough length to penetrate reasonably well at low impact velocities.Seems to be enough to do the killing.

I hit a 300 pound black bear with a 140 gr Bitterroot @3100 fps from a 280 Remington,and a bit above where the heart is located in the photo above....he collapsed to the shot,never rose and died within seconds while I watched.

Would a 180 gr 7mm Berger have killed him as neatly if he were hit in the same spot at 700 yards? I dunno, I never did it,but I think he would. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shot a bigger bear with an arrow and he went about 15 yds then collapsed. The arrow went in his gut through his lung and got a piece of his heart. Mostly luck I believe, since if I would have shot while he was facing me I couldn't have penetrated to his heart. He was running away from me in a left direction. I still can't support shooting animals at those distances talked about in this post. Do we need to hope on luck to pull off the shot.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by 378Canuck
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
What is knockdown power?

Like I said in previous post, I'm not a scientist but if you check the ballistic charts you would see that a 168 SMK fired from a 7mm magnum at 2950 ft/sec will have only 982 ft/lbs energy left at 800 yds. Some pistols have more energy than that. Would you shoot a large bear with a small caliber pistol? This is probably why the USA military never adopted this round in sniper circles. I mean they must know something about knockdown power and the energy required to pierce body armor. Of course I can see some idiotic comments coming like "Dude -Bears don't wear body armor" Please leave the stupid comments out of a serious discussion, have a good day.

Using FPE to rate lethality is an exercise in futility

Here is the exit in the rib cage of a 6X7 bull Elk. The exit was created by a 180 grain bullet with an impact velocity of aproximately 2600 FPS which calculates to 2700 FPE

[Linked Image]

This exit in the the same elk's rib cage and was produced by a 440 grain flat point hard cast fired from a 500 JRH revolver at 850 FPS for 888 FPS

[Linked Image]

Ths most destruction was created by the round with the least amount of kinetic energy

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
... Do we need to hope on luck to pull off the shot.

Of course not...we shouldn't shoot at those distances unless we are "sure".

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
If you go to www.longrangehunter.com, the owner of the site, is also a LR hunting rifle builder, and I'm sure can give you a lot of well founded advise.

Ghost
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Get the 300 RUM and put a good scope and mts on it and pickup some brass and ammo. Good Luck! Randy

US Army Ft Carson, Co 1976 to 1979
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Hell! .338 Lapua or a .300 Win Mag. otta do ya.

Why, I have not yet begun to defile myself.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
This thread is totally predictable, because it is just like every other that involves "long range" hunting. I remember when long range was 500 yards, the argument was the same, only about shorter distances. There is always the "stupid stunt that can't be done, irresponsible to try" contingent, and then this other group who have been doing it long enough to know it can be done, and is no stunt for the capable long range rifleman.
As for the 7 rem mag, it has proven itself many times over, for several decades, as both a heavy game and long range round.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Brad, shooting at animals past 300 yards is not ethical. You know that.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'm an old boy, but a bad boy. What can I say?
I don't think those 1100 yard marmots cared if I was being unethical, they were dead anyway.
I managed to pop a couple at 560 up on Hagerman Pass sunday... with my lowly 8 lb 270 WSM.
No bears and too many hunters in Lime Park.

Last edited by cobrad; 09/10/12.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dang, we oughta' get both 270 WSMs rocking on the marmots up there soon! I've never been to Hagerman.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What is knockdown power?

Would you shoot a large bear with a small caliber pistol?

Well I have shot a few small bears with a large pistol. grin grin
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I often wonder at how quick some are to offer advice in endeavors they have no experience.

The big trick in killing bears at distance is hitting places that are really important to the bear in the very near future. No amount of horsepower will fix bad shooting but stout recoil will sure add to the marksmanship problem.

Bears at distance are also more of a challenge than most game because they tend to not stand still out in open areas and there is always a little more adrenalin in the hunter when the quarry has teeth and claws.

Shooting bears at distance is never something to take lightly but if you are worried about your ability to hit them right with a 7mm Remington then you have no business taking that shot with something that is even harder to shoot well.

378�s story of losing a bear at 600yds with a 378 should dispel the myth that shot placement is not just as critical with the big bruisers as it is with a more moderate cartridge.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
JB, that third pic down is one for the magazines.. laugh

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Ths most destruction was created by the round with the least amount of kinetic energy

thx for chiming in John laugh how's that 28gu Browning M12 doing expanding on doves? LMAO! is 9 shot better or is it 8's? :)7 1/2 and at what range smile

frontal area does have something to do with it?

too freakin bad we cant shoot bowling balls at them cry

oh yeah, a 7mm kicks the 30's ASS! out to 1k (i might add?)
but after that to 1200? well, 30cal 208Amax3200 will do it but i want a 338 smile it makes the steel bounce!!! damn that 300SMK hits hard! live through that!

Last edited by rem06; 09/11/12.

is that extra 25fps worth detonation?
NRA life member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Like I said I've killed bears with bow and arrow and they don't have much in the kinetic energy department, that's why you need to wait for the shot or pass it up if you can't place well.
Not everyone is ready to do that especially if they came 3000 miles to hunt bear with you and it's the last day of hunting.
Sometimes horsepower doesn't make up for bad shot placement but no horsepower will certainly not help either. I also note that most of JB bears are in wide open areas, which you don't find much of where we hunt, so most time your shooting through brush and trees on most of the game we hunt here in northern Canada. They are not canned hunts on private land and 7mm do poorly going through even a few branches. Nice bears by the way.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Let me understand this correctly, most of your comments in this thread have been directed towards long range shooting and now your advising that most of your shots involve close range and shooting through brush? "Brush busting" and long range ability seem to be at odds with each other.

To get back to the original post it was mentioned 500lb animals were a possible target, when did that require more than a 7mm or 30cal? Bullet construction and placement will be far more important than extra weight. I can appreciate a desire for an exit wound but a bullet placed through the pump or pipes will lead to a dead animal.

Now on the other hand if someone wants to pick a big boomer just because they like it then have at it and let your personal desires lead the way. I have a .35 Whelen that is one of my favorite rifles and loading fat bullets brings a certain level of confidence but I also accept the reality that a properly placed bullet from my .270 will give exactly the same results.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Small bushes and twigs grow at all ranges.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
This thread has taken a turn toward stupid. Canuck, sounds like you are a short range brush buster and a big rifle is just what is needed for your hunting conditions. This thread isn't about that.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Here you go....338LM. This bear was 570 meters, across a canyon with plenty of wind. I'd seen a nice brown boar the night before in the same place. I was packing my .308 and didn't want to risk a poor hit due to the fickle wind in that canyon. I've taken a few nice black bears with the .308 at those ranges(450-600M)but there was little or zero wind.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
It's late, I'm tired but I just couldn't help myself.....

So the requirements are for 450 yards out to 750 yards on medium/big game. $3,500 budget. The op has a 308win with a 2-7x redfield. Says that 750 yards falls within his comfort zone yet has no LR rifles, but he shoots with buddies a bit and uses their rifles so he's good for half mile cross canyon shots...... right?

Given those parameters we have posters suggesting, 7lb 7mm RUM's, 300 RUM's, and 338 RUM's. 338/378 Weatherby's, 340 Weatherby's, 28in barrels, 225gr Barnes TTSX's (really????), and Ziess scopes.

Can we get a reality check please.

Seems to me we have a bunch of guys suggesting the latest gun they bought, or their cooked up fantasy LR dream gun without a whole lot of busted caps at LR to base that suggestion on. Tanner and BSA seem to be the only ones in reality land.

From the info provided I am 99.99999% sure we have an individual with very little long range experience. Given that anyone that shoots LR a lot has at least one rifle and scope capable of LR shots (not a 2-7x Redfield) and would know what calibers, cartridges, rifle type, and scopes are suitable for 750 yard shots. Don't you think? You guys really think a 7lb 338 RUM with a Ziess scope and launching 225gr Barnes bullets is the best answer for 800 yard animals for someone with little experience? Heck for someone extremely experienced?

Why don't we come back to reality. Minimally experienced shooter? 800 yard cross canyon shots? (probably the toughest winds to deal with and the hardest to call). So not only have we crossed into true long range shooting, but added the most difficult shooting conditions as well. Then we add a lightweight 300 or 338 super magnum rifle shooting bullets that will barely expand or fail to expand at the distance required? On top of it he's going to mount a Ziess hunting scope? Really?

What his needs tell me is that he has crossed over from general hunting rifles into dedicated LR rifles. He didn't say bear hunting with the occasional 5 or 600 yard shot, he said his shots will be from 450 out 750 yards as a general thing.

I am a big fan of lightweight and normal hunting rifles. I.E. under 10lbs. They can be used exceptionally well out to 600+/- yards and if I have a very good spotter I might push one out to 800yds or so. Past that 600 yard zone I do not expect 1st round hits in anything but the most perfect conditions on deer size targets. I would guess 70-80% at 800 with my general hunting rifles and a trained spotter from field positions. That's with 300 Win Mags. 7mm RM's and WSM's, 243win's, etc. Not guns with truly big recoil- a la Reminton Ultra Mags and 338/378 Weatherbys.

For 800 yard shooting I'll skip right over my hunting rifles and go straight to my dedicated guns. I personally would start and stop in on the 7mm Remington Magnum or the 7mm WSM and like cartridges. Why? Because with good bullets they offer good terminal performance at LR and will match or beat the big .338 guns in drop and drift to 1K or so while having half the recoil. The medium 30 caliber rounds such as the 300WM, Weatherby, WSM, etc work well too. Keep in mind though, given the same level of recoil and the same amount of powder burnt, the 7mm's crush the 30 cals in drop/drift.

For under 1k rifles I'm not talking about 18-20lb behemoths. My sniper competition partners rifle (which I actually shoot the comps with) is about model perfecto. 7WSM, 24in barrel, Manners carbon fiber stock, Bushnell HDMR 3.5-21x50mm scope, shooting 162gr Hornady AMAX's or HPBT bullets. With loaded 5 round mag and short bipod it weighs about 12-13 pounds I believe. It shoots extremely well and most importantly is consistent enough for true 800 yard work.

I am not a fan of hunting scopes for dedicated LR use. 800 yards is well past the "close enough" range, and no regular scope from Zeiss, Leupold, Bushnell, Swarovski, etc. has the precision, durability and reliability for true LR use. SWFA's SS, Nightforce, [u]some[u] Leupolds, Bushnell's HDMR, Hensoldt, March, possibly the Ziess Diavari, and the S&B PM series offer the precision and consistency that is needed.

If I were the OP I would do a couple of things. First I would buy an SWFA SS 3-9x42 scope- Located here and mount it to the 308win he has. Then I would take a thousand dollars of his budget and buy reloading components. I would pick any bullet suitable for LR, i.e. Berger 155gr VLD, Lapua Scenar 155gr, 155gr Sierra MatchKing Palma, 175gr SMK, Hornady 168gr or 178gr AMAX or BTHP, buy Varget and find a load that will average under 1.5 MOA for 5 round groups and then quit worrying about loads and take those 1,000 to 2,000 rounds he loaded and shoot all of it this year from field positions learning how to make wind calls, dial the scope correctly and quickly and find out what he is really capable of. If he is really smart he would attend a LR hunting/shooting course that is at least 2 days long taught by someone that honestly knows what they are doing, thereby cutting the frustration and learning time dramatically.

In addition on the absolute lightest side I would buy a Winchester Extreme Weather in 7mm RM or 7WSM or even better a Coyote Light in 7WSM, or on the heavy side a Tikka T3 Varmint in 7mm RM, a Savage LRH or 110 Tactical or whatever they call the heavy barrel version these days, a Remington Sendero, etc., all in either the 7mm Remington Mag or 7mm WSM. Then either put another SWFA SS 3-9x42 on it, or if he just has to have more power get the 5-20x50 version of the same scope. Find a load with 162gr Hornady AMAX's or BTHP's, with around 70gr of H1000, that will consistently group 5 rounds at 1 MOA or under, and then shoot it just enough to get a feel for the difference in wind holds between it and the 308win.

There is your $3,500 budget with guns and scopes that are setup for success. Basically I just described a light LR Tactical/Sniper competition rifle because that is exactly what it is. If the op has a Rangefinder capable of ranging animals at 1k, a good spotting scope and does the above he will be smoking things at LR by next year. If he follows some of the advice given above he will have an expensive, painful toy and will probably be another "hunter" talking about killing at LR rather then actually doing it.......

I agree with this, especially the practice and training part. I've seen a lot of hunters miss entire antelope with very expensive rifles and scopes, and these were animals they'd ranged with a laser range finder. The vast majority can't reliably hit vital zones at 500 yards and miss entire animals past that because the haven't spent much time reading wind and shooting at long ranges, and what little they have done was off a bench under no pressure.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

349 members (16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 47 invisible), 2,597 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,419
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.