Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
53k on gravel is dang good.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Thanks for all the replies. I currently have 53,000 on my General Grabbers. P265/70R 17 I really liked the look of this tire. They are similar to BFG AT's in appearance but cheaper to buy.

They are wore pretty good but I also drive A LOT of gravel each day.

What is a good tire for gravel roads with the occasional sharp rock? Or is 53,000 pretty good?
coopers.......a gravel road in the states is consiterd a fine paved road in these parts. period.

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
These are very popular around here.

[Linked Image]

Cooper ST/Maxx(?).

I have a set on the farm pickup. They are susposed to have a harder or long wearing thread compound. At least that what Bob the tire master told me. He said alot of oil field are using them.

My cowboy buddy has a set on his brand new 1-ton Chevy and he drives more gravel than anyone.
They are a little stiff and might get squirrely with a half ton, maybe they make one with less plies. Work great on heavier pickups though. We will see how they last.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
It seems the BFG AT's rule in the west Texas mesquite country and on caliche rock roads with oil field pumpers. A 20% price reduction would make them the perfect tire.

Last edited by eyeball; 09/12/12.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Keep the tires, look for a new truck.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was basically a life long fan of BFG Long trails,

With my truck getting up in age I decided to save a little money and I went the Coopers. Seems to be an OK tire, but noisier than I prefer.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I think I have AT-3 on a Tahoe now, but will have to look. It's the the second set of Cooper shoes the 'Hoe has worn. Also have Coopers on a 87 Chevy 4WD and had 2 sets on a '99 Mercury Grand Marquis. 0 problems.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Am about 30K miles into my first set of Coopers on the 2001 Dodge 3/4 ton Cummins, which works hard on differing surfaces and so far, so good with the Coopers.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Rooster7

They are wore pretty good but I also drive A LOT of gravel each day.

What is a good tire for gravel roads with the occasional sharp rock? Or is 53,000 pretty good?

Rooster that's actually pretty good.

BFG All Terrain's are good for your purposes. On my Tundra I had Yokohama Geolander AT/S. Uncle Dusty told me they're a good tire too, and I've never know Uncle Dusty to be wrong.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I picked up a set for my 2004 2500 just last week. I was really only looking for a new set to get me through this winter till I order a new truck next spring. So far they seem decent enough, but we'll see how they hold up.

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Not the AT3, but have had mixed results from ATR and HTR's. We had a set of the HT's on a 2wd Grand Cherokee that performed great. Had some ATR's on a F-150 that never gave me any issues, but sold the truck when they had about 30,000 on the tires.

I put a set of ATR's on my Tacoma that were about perfect for 20,000 miles. After that I had to have them re-balanced at each rotation and they got slipperey on wet pavement even though they still had tread. I probably could have gotten at least 50,000 out of them, but ran over something and ruined 1 tire at 45,000. I just bought 4 new ones. I ALMOST went with the Firestone Destination AT, but would have had to order them. Found a set of BFG Rugged Terrain's. Not to be confused with the Rugged Trails that come from the factory. No compliants, but they were about $250 more for the set.

While the Coopers might not last quite as long, they are cheaper. My truck will be at about 130,000 next time I need tires. I may decide to go with a less expensive tire at that time.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by shootem
I think I have AT-3 on a Tahoe now, but will have to look. It's the the second set of Cooper shoes the 'Hoe has worn. Also have Coopers on a 87 Chevy 4WD and had 2 sets on a '99 Mercury Grand Marquis. 0 problems.

Turned out to be HT on it now. Had AT previously. I like the HT.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I brought a tire down to get fixed at the station here by work and the guy was really bragging up the Dynapro Hankook ATm 10 ply tires. They look BA. Did a small amount of research and they seem to get good reviews for traction, treadlife and noise. Also reasonable price.

Another one to consider.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've used several sets on different trucks. All good.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SamOlson
These are very popular around here.

[Linked Image]

Cooper ST/Maxx(?).

I have a set on the farm pickup. They are susposed to have a harder or long wearing thread compound. At least that what Bob the tire master told me. He said alot of oil field are using them.

My cowboy buddy has a set on his brand new 1-ton Chevy and he drives more gravel than anyone.
They are a little stiff and might get squirrely with a half ton, maybe they make one with less plies. Work great on heavier pickups though. We will see how they last.

Those are the tires I've got on my 06 Chevy 1/2 ton. So far (maybe 15,000) they've been great! Before this set I had Cooper Discoverer ST's on there and got 60,000 out of them. The BFG's on my Dodge are wearing fast, and I'll likely put a set of the ST Maxx's on there.

MAGA
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Don't know about the AT3, but have had a set of LSX on my truck for over a year.
Smooth, quiet, good wear(so far), no issues

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I put four on my 2000 Tundra last year and they are providing good service with no drama. They are a bit noisier than my last Goodyear's, but not terrible.

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Get the Firestones. The Destination is an excellent tire. Way better than any Cooper made. Nice, soft and excellent mileage tire. You won't be disatisfied. A little pricey but you'll be rewarded.

The things that come to those that wait may be the things left by those who got there first.

Unk
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 61 invisible), 2,415 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,423
Posts18,470,678
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.