Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
My dad bought me a nice little Winchester 9422 in the mid to late 70's. I LOVED that gun. In 1992, some bastards broke into my parents house while I was in college. They stole several guns, and jewelry. The thieves were eventually caught (former students of my mom's, and one of my own classmates). Never heard anything about the whereabouts of the guns. Fast fore-ward to about 2010. My dad called me at work and told me he had just received a phone call from the police dept. in Searcy Arkansas (approx. 200 miles away) explaining that they had recovered my Winchester 9422 on a routine traffic stop. They told him that if we wanted the gun we could come get it. Mom and Dad made a road trip the next day and brought the gun home. '
My dad passed away 2 months ago. I was at my mom's house today and decided to get the little 22 out and look it over again. It was in much rougher condition than when the thieves took it. I remembered how me and my dad went to the gun store to buy it and how much I loved it. I began the think about having it restored. What do you guys think of me sending it to Turnbull and having them do an all out restoration. Kinda pricey I know, but this gun has some real sentimental value and I would like it to be nice again. May even consider having the action case colored. thanks for listening.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Glad the rifle made it back to the rightful owner. As for as the cost of the restoration, its only money, it has sentimental value to you so you will not be selling it.
Tim

"I hate rude behaviour in a man .....I won't tolerate it." Capt. Woodrow F. Call (Tommy Lee Jones) The Movie "Lonesome Dove"

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Glad to hear you got one back. My Grandfather's 30-30 was stolen that way, and odds are we'll never see it again.

I'd send it to Turnbull's, it's what you want to carry/remember that matters, we only have opinions on the topic. Turnbull will do it right.

I may end up with a Colt .357 that I bought my Grandfather as a "farm truck-under the seat" pistol when he asked for one. It's faded, pitted, well-carried, and probably needs a tune-up on the timing, but it will always be a reminder of a bond shared in tough times, and of his love and caring for a knucklehead young man. Hard to put a price on it, but I'll most likely have it redone as you are thinking.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would absolutely have it redone especially with all the memories
that it holds for you.I may have to do the same with my great grandfathers 20g LeFever side by side that is now with my father.
-Sorry to hear of your loss

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by cnyarcher
I would absolutely have it redone especially with all the memories
that it holds for you.I may have to do the same with my great grandfathers 20g LeFever side by side that is now with my father.
-Sorry to hear of your loss

Ditto from me! smile

I had a stainless revolver stolen several years ago and every so often I think that I will get one of those phone calls too..

You will never regret having the gun done-up proud for your Dad. wink Next generation will have something to look at and talk about too, to make a connection to the past.

my .02,
dave

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Turnbull does great work but, as you said, is rather pricey because of his reputation. If you shop around a bit, you'll be able to find a 'smith who does comparable work for less $$.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Maybe it will help wash away some of the bad memory and bring back the new gun memory. If it's not a financial hardship, go for it.

Winnies do look nice with color...

The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sorry for your great loss.

I bought a Cynergy for my son when he graduated college. He was broken into and the gun is gone. We know who did it and basically proved it, but the evidence is no where to be found. Sickening.

If you're thinking of restoring, your mind is probably made up to go that direction and I would encourage you to do so. The memories of your father will be present every time you pick the rifle up. That means more than anything. Additionally, it can be passed down when the time comes, an heirloom. Restore it! You won't regret it....

Last edited by 7025Jack; 09/17/12.

"I will remain what I am until the day I die- A HUNTER"......Sitting Bull

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

467 members (10gaugeman, 222Sako, 160user, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 10ring1, 40 invisible), 2,390 guests, and 1,115 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,761
Posts18,515,204
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.