Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Valsdad Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Do any of the writers on the �fire believe this gun will sell? Some of the gun magazines seem to be making a big fuss about it. It looks to me like a good idea, but so did the Sigarms SHR 970, of which I purchased one in 2000-2001. I bought it with the idea of obtaining a few barrels in other calibers after using the 30-06 that came installed. I have the synthetic stocked version which cost me a whopping $400 at the time. A few years later (2005?), I about had to pull teeth to get another barrel in 6.5x55 from Sig as it seems they were no longer importing the rifles and not really providing a lot of support for ordering barrels. I ran across the receipt for the barrel the other day; it took over 8 months to get one over here and it cost as much as the rifle. (I sure wish I had purchased a barrel in 9.3x62 back then, I know Sig had them as it�s one of the calibers marked on the magazine.) However, the rifle does shoot, which is why I�m interested in the �professionals�� opinions of the new T/C rifle.(As an aside, professional writers, can I use the possessive apostrophe within quotes like that? It looks funny to me).

The last groups with the two calibers were 0.78� with the 6.5 and +/- 1.4� with the �06 in a 10-20mph wind. I�m still trying to find a brand of ammo the �06 likes.

Now, if a $400, accurate, rifle that was available in .308, 30�06, 300WM, 7MM Rem. and other popular American calibers, with the capability of adding calibers later, didn�t sell 10-12 years ago, why would T/C think they�ll sell now? I personally like the idea of one gun many barrels in the safe. It might save a person money and space, not a real �loony� mind you as I might have to buy one of those T/C Dimensions to go along with my SHR 970. Especially if T/C ends up offering a 9.3 barrel!

Does anyone else have experience with the SHR 970 and if so, did you get any extra barrels and what calibers. If you have a barrel in 9.3 and wish to put a �reasonable� price on it, let me know (yeah, right, like someone would let that one go if they liked their rifle!).

I hope everyone is having fun as hunting season gets rolling.
Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The SHR 970 looked like a rifle at least.

That unbelievable abomination of a TC looks like a bad acid trip.

Horrible, I hope the designers of that hideous thing never work in the gun industry again and I hope TC loses their ass on it so they aren't tempted to foist such a disgrace on the public again.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Got to agree, looks like they were high when they designed that stock. Whats wrong with stocking it like the CDL or the new M70 Fwt. Super Grade?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by nsaqam
Horrible, I hope the designers of that hideous thing never work in the gun industry again and I hope TC S&W loses their ass on it so they aren't tempted to foist such a disgrace on the public again.

"TC" isn't hardly making barrels for Contenders and Encores anymore, compared to the days before the Smith & Wesson takeover. Caliber offerings are maybe half what they used to be. If you buy a Dimension, buy every barrel you want for it now. (It's still fugly.)

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Let's be honest ... T/C has always designed weird looking stuff. We're (sort of) used to the encores at this point, but when they came out, nothing had ever looked anything like that before. Even some of their M/L's when they first came out didn't look like any M/L's that had ever been produced before. The Icon/venture is the most normal looking rifle they have produced, and even that looks peculiar compared to a 700 or a 70.

I must admit that this dimension takes the cake, though. Hands-down the worst looking rifle I've seen. I really have no idea how they came up with it unless they were purposefully trying to design something that looked as awful as possible.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Seems to me the "ugly" rifle/firearm thing has been around for a long time. I wonder what our predecessors thought of the Henry rifle as compared to a fine curly maple stocked longrifle? Maybe something like "yeah, there's some utility to it, but it sure ain't very purty". And I'd be willing to bet some folks said the Browning A5 was (still is?) ugly but they sure sold a bunch. Don't want to forget about the Weatherby look, certainly not popular at the time (or even today) with a segment of the gun buying public. Let's not even get into the beginning of the AR craze. I'm of an age that started into "outdoors" interests shortly after that one came about and can still remember the outcry over "plastic" guns. Now they're pretty well established.

I wasn't particularly impressed with the "synthetic" stock on my SHR, after all it's no "McSwirly" or whatever they call those things. It's certainly anything but pretty. But it seemed "Serviceable" at the time, it was my first non-sporterized hunting rifle, and the price was right. Now there's a thought, start with a $400 rifle, buy a $400 barrel for it, then maybe I can get a $400+ McMillan for it and now what do I have ? A $1200 dollar rifle. Why didn't I just buy one of those in the first place? What fun would there be in that? (loonies know better than to ask that question)

With a new generation of rifle buyers, who seem to have no problem with "ugly" plastic stocks and forearms on their rifles, I'm not sure the looks of the Dimention will throw all that many folks off, especially the younger ones. But will they buy a rifle type that seems to be popular in other parts of the world but not here? SUV's are popular here, some of the AR crowd are taking advantage of being able to switch uppers, why not sport utility bolt actions? Especially at reasonable prices with reasonable accuracy?

Good advice about buying all the barrels you can now for those folks buying Dimentions, they may not be available when you want them. Same thing goes for magazines (my experience with SHR's, they're pricy now!), an extra "torque" wrench tool, and any other accessories you desire. If S&W group or T/C quits supporting those rifles, they will come dearly in the future. (investment opportunity here? hmmmm?)

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm with you. I remember the first time I saw a Contender and I thought what an "ugly" rifle. Now I see it as a means to an end where function outweighs aesthetics. AR's and matte finished bolt actions with black stocks don't look good to me. I own them, but I didn't buy them for their looks. There is no real "art" or maybe a better word would be craftsmanship in making them. I guess it's like driving a Pinto or a Corvette. They will both get you where you are going, but you look better riding in one.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not only is the Dumbension horrible asthetically but its so ineptly designed that you need to remove the BA from the stock to remove the bolt!

There is not one redeeming feature of that monstrosity.

I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Actually the bolt release is on the side of the receiver like the Icon and Venture.

http://dimensionrifle.tcarms.com/wp-content/uploads/TC_QuickStartGUTSwebX.pdf

I do agree with you the stock looks strange. It reminds me of the first time I saw the Contender's pointy looking trigger guard. It grew on me over time, maybe the Dimension will too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The comb of the stock prevents the bolt from being withdrawn from the receiver far enough to remove it.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Really??? That would be a serious flaw. Did you get to handle one?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
This doesn't really answer your questions but.. about 1996, after reading about them for several years, I came across a new-in-the-box, TCR '87 with some NICE looking wood for sale in a gunshop. Unfortunately it was "only" in a .223. I had no real intrest in a single-shot .223, but no problem because I was seriously thinking of selling off my other guns and buying a: 10 guage, .416 Rem Mag, and 45-70 barrel for it.

At that time, my education on guns wasn't the instantaneous stuff available from the internet; it was what little I could learn from the few people I personally knew who owned guns (which was essentially nothing), from reading old books in the library, reading magazines (all I could get ahold of), and whatever guns I personally bought and traded. Thus my penchant for BIG guns. Since then I've found that my recoil tolerance stops before the 10 guage and .375 H&H, having owned a couple of them.

At any rate, just months later, TC had their factory fire and I learned that they were no longer honoring their lifetime warranty on the TCR. Kinda soured me on that whole deal and because I wasn't aware of the whole rifle looney world of aftermarket parts & repairs being available... I was saddened, awakened from my naviete on "lifetime warranties", and sold the rifle.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
bhemry, I had to look that one up as I had completely forgotten about it. Thanks for the reminder of another switch barrel made in the USA.

Did you like the rifle while you owned it?

Geno

In it is contentment

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Sig still makes and sells the 970 in europe, a buddy still has one it is a hammer and looks good as well. Switch barrels don't sell well here.

That being said that TC is beyond ugly, even it shoots well, with the looks and goofy wrench takedwon I would not be seen in the woods with one if they gave me one, really.

Just wait and watch CDNN for them on the cheap.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Valsdad,

Sorry, I hope we didn't side track your thread too much.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by spence1875
Sig still makes and sells the 970 in europe, a buddy still has one it is a hammer and looks good as well. Switch barrels don't sell well here.

I only wish I could find a good source/importer as I had heard they were still selling them over there. You know, I think I'm going to shoot an email to Sig USA or whateverthey're calling themselves nowadays. Maybe things have changed in the last few years and the can get me a barrel from the "home office" without having to jump through too many hoops.

10-4 on the wrench goody for the T/C. The SHR uses a simple hex key. If you misplace it (I have) you can use one from your auto tool box (I have).

In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by barm
Valsdad,

Sorry, I hope we didn't side track your thread too much.

No problem with me, examples of other switch barrels that failed or made it here in the USA only help to inform us.

In it is contentment

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Valsdad,

I like the idea of a switch barrel myself. I go through calibers too much and it would be nice to have a single platform to be able try a bunch of stuff for a little bit of money.

For those who are interested:

I also found a video on YouTube which shows how to remove the bolt from a Dimension without removing the stock. Go to 1:25 in the video. The bolt has to be turned to the left when removing from the rear of the receiver.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUa68KBuBeY&feature=related

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
For those so interested here's a possible way to contact SigSauer, found on the FAQ's at Sigarms

I own a SHR or STR Swiss Arms rifle � where do I go for parts or service?
We have not imported the SHR/STR rifles in many years. We no longer have parts or accessories available. You can contact Swiss Arms directly: Swiss Arms Industrieplatz CH-8212 Neuhausen am Rheinfall, Switzerland Telephone: +41 (52) 674-6111 Fax: +41 (52) 674-6601 Fax: +41 (52) 674-6418 www.swissarms.ch

I just sent off an email to infoswissarms.ch Hopefully someone there reads English. I'll let everyone know how it works out.

Last edited by Valsdad; 09/20/12. Reason: email to Sig/swissarms

In it is contentment

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Valsdad,

Yes I did like the TCR while I owned it.

Brent

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (10gaugeman, 2500HD, 22250rem, 06hunter59, 1234, 222Sako, 53 invisible), 3,346 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,705
Posts18,534,770
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.