Print Thread
Hop To
S
stocker Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Some one enquired about soups so here's my version of Navy Bean soup for your testing and it's best to cook it over 2 days:
<br>
<br>Ingredients
<br>
<br>3 smoked ham hocks
<br>4 cups dry navy beans
<br>2 large white onions
<br>4 sticks diced celery
<br>3 large carrots, grated
<br>1 14 oz can diced stewed Italian herbed tomatoes
<br>2 - 4 cloves garlic crushed
<br>1 tablespoon molasses
<br>small handful each of chopped chives and parsley
<br>spices as noted below.
<br>
<br>Day 1; In an 18 litre stock pot put hocks and 10 litres of water. Bring to a boil and then simmer until meat falls from the bone. Set aside to cool and then remove bones and skin from the pot. Break meat into small portions and refrigerate meat separately from stock. Place pot in fridge over night and skim the fats off the top next day. Soak beans overnight
<br>Day 2: Return the meat to skimmed stock and add presoaked and rinsed beans, diced onions, grated carrots, celery, tomatoes , garlic, molasses, chives, parsley and 1/2 tsp ground oregano, 1/2 teaspoon crushed chili, 1 tsp mustard seed to liquid in pot. In a cheescloth bag or one of those little gadgets used to contain tea leaves in a teapot (I think they are called tea balls) put 5 crushed bay leaves, about 15 cracked black peppercorns.
<br> Add water to a comfortable full level in the pot. Bring to a boil and then simmer for several hours. Salt to taste after nearly completed cooking as the hocks bring quite a bit of salt to the stock and you are only adjusting. Remove and discard the spice bag at completion. I really recommend the teaball trick guys as it gets rid of those pesky bay leaves and hot spots when you bite a peppercorn and of course it's reuasable.
<br>This soup freezes well and we usually end up with several containers each large enough for a meal even after we've had the first meal. Serve with good rolls or crusty bread (hot sauces on the side for those who want a bit of fire to their soup).

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That looks good. I got a recipe for Senate bean soup but yours looks better.
<br>BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
S
stocker Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
BCR: It tastes real good to me. Enough so I make it evry couple of months. I should have mentioned the molasses is optional. It's still good without it just a bit different. best.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

382 members (1beaver_shooter, 117LBS, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 43 invisible), 2,814 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,445
Posts18,528,740
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.