Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Salmonella - took this photo a few weeks ago, not far from Cordova, AK. Curious bear trying to get a look at a bunch of us fly fishermen after the silvers. Sorry for the photo quality - I didn't feel like sneaking closer for a better shot, armed with my 8wt rod...

[Linked Image]

Very natural pose - I've seen it many times. They stand up to look and scent. What is that over there? Your bear mount reflects that well.

Regards, Guy

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Just to clarify, should it be needed, my "natural" comment wasn't directed at Harry's bear or bears in general, just in context of what my bear was doing at the time....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Definitely not uncommon for them to scurry through a willow patch or cross a small rise and then raise up on their 'hind legs' to get a last look at the bothersome troublemakers that have challenged their space. They're dominant, but not dumb; and they're never pretentious like some poses suggest. (And their threatening postures certainly appear much more fearsome than snarling mouths and raised paws!)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ironbender
Real, not meaner.

[Linked Image]

That cartoon hits the mark! I have no clue why folks want aggressive mounts typically... used to hear it all the time, want my bobcat walking through the woods snarling mouth open. How many have you seen like that?

Lifelike is how I"d want my stuff done. Boars are about the only thing that I can deal with, mouth open, unless it fits the scene. Rugs I even feel are much better off closed mouth.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I agree, but he can't be so cute that I get grief for shooting Yogi from every woman that comes in the house lol

Last edited by colorado; 10/12/12.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If it was my bear, I would full mount it....beautiful animals.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I decided to, thank you. I'm having my bear sent to Animal Artistry

Regards,

Chuck

Ghost And The Darkness

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by ironbender
Real, not meaner.

[Linked Image]

That cartoon hits the mark! I have no clue why folks want aggressive mounts typically... used to hear it all the time, want my bobcat walking through the woods snarling mouth open. How many have you seen like that?

Lifelike is how I"d want my stuff done. Boars are about the only thing that I can deal with, mouth open, unless it fits the scene. Rugs I even feel are much better off closed mouth.

Funny how this trend came along of bashing open mouth aggressive mounts, like the more docile you make it the better you are????
I've seen as many horrible (smiling) closed mouth mounts as I have open/aggresive mounts.

[Linked Image]

I'm cool with any natural pose as long as the taxidermy is of HIGH quality., and who says open mouth poses aren't natural?

To my way of thinking, jaws and claws are what makes a predator in the first place, so why not show those features off if you want?

What the animal is doing don't dictate the quality of the mount as long as it is anatomically correct.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Salmonella

[Linked Image]

Power.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I think your mount is gorgeous sal as is your bear, I'm just trying to figue out what's right for my bear.

When I shot my bear at 13 yards (he was walking towards out of sight along the lake shore), we saw each other at the same instant. He rolled twice then tore off into the willows. I couldn't get a second shot in without blowing my guide's left ear drum out (the bear moved from my left to my right towards us, but my guide was two feet ahead of me to my right) out so I held fire. I'm sure his mouth was open at one point but I couldn't see him at that instant because my guide was between me and the bear. I wish I could've seen him, because I would've dropped him there and saved a lot of grief dragging him out of the willows (though going into the willows after him was exciting). I was going to have my rug closed mouth, but I definitely want the standing mount with his mouth open. You guys have been a great help so keep it coming ... smile

So far for the taxidermy I've seen, I like this pose for my bear

[Linked Image]

Last edited by colorado; 10/13/12.

Regards,

Chuck

Ghost And The Darkness

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have you see the selection of bear poses on Animal Artistry's web page?

http://www.animalartistry.com/pb/bears-b.php

Proud NRA Life Member
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I have, of all of the standing ones, I like number 5 best ... They do beautiful work.

Thanks

Last edited by colorado; 10/13/12.

Regards,

Chuck

Ghost And The Darkness

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The subject of Animal Artistry pose #17 above used to live on Chicagof Island, but he now resides in my greatroom.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I can like #17 real easy...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The bear is actually much darker/less red "in person" than the picture. It was done with a walnut base, and it still looks good 11 years later.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Perhaps you might consider a chest mount. I did this with my 2nd brownie I took. It clearly shows the size of the animal, takes up little space on the wall, is less expensive than a rug, far less expensive than a full mount. I have a ceiling spot lite on it; hard to miss it when folks walk into the room and I enjoy it every day/Chaz

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

625 members (19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 76 invisible), 3,031 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,620
Posts18,533,112
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.