Print Thread
Hop To
R
rodwha Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I have a Big Agnes Copper Spur tent and would like to make my own footprint that includes the vestibule area as well, as well as make a summer rainfly that allows more air to pass through.

Where is a good place to find quality lightweight materials for this?

Will a standard cheapy sewing machine be able to handle the sewing? SWMBO thinks not.

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of truth and of life You hold." - Third Day
GB1

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Tyvek makes a great footprint - and you can get it in smaller quantities on ebay. As for the fly, you might look into silnylon or cuben, but I don't have experience with sewing those materials. Good luck!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
+1 on the Tyvek foot print.
Try Rockywoods for the fabric.

http://www.rockywoods.com/

Just down the road from The City of Lost Souls in the Land of the Blind.
Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Here is another source with good prices.
backwoodsdaydreamer.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
rodwha, a standard sewing machine should handle it no problem. try to run a heavier thread like the 69 pound "upholstery thread" sold in every fabric store.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Use tape for tyvek though. Sewing tends to make perforated tear lines...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use tyvek cut a bit small and make the tabs for the poles out of duct tape. I add grommets for the poles.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Here are a couple more sources for fabric plus all the hardware & accessories you might need.
SEATTLE FABRIC
QUEST OUTFITTERS

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
rodwha Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Thanks fellas!
I've e-mailed Big Agnes to see if I can purchase the attachments for the footprint that you would set the tent poles in and hook the fly to. Not a big deal, but I'd like to be able to set it up without the actual tent as you can with the footprint & fly.

I've been told by others to just use a painter's drop cloth, but I wonder about it's durability. I enjoy figuring this kind of stuff out, but I don't care to do it over and over and over again.

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of truth and of life You hold." - Third Day
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't think the drop cloth would last at all. They're only about 4 mil at the heaviest. The Tyvec is much stronger for it's thickness. Go to ebay and search 'tyvec sheet'. You'll get a bunch of hits for both large sheets and also precut sheets just for tents. Those will often come with grommets or loops you can install as needed. I looked at a 9x10 that will fit our car camping tent. I can get one for about $15.

― George Orwell

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
With my tyvek, gorilla tape/grommet setup......you can pitch just the fly.....unless it was Texas hot out.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
R
rodwha Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I contacted Big Agnes and was surprised that they would sell me the attachments for the tent poles/rainfly clips.

Out of curiosity what is Tyvek precisely? I've looked at the links I've been given here and don't see it listed as Tyvek. I did ask what they thought would suffice for my intended purpose and got a few answers.

Guess it's time... $70 for a small piece of tarp just seems ridiculous.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Tyvek is a waterproof membrane that's used for lots of stuff. You'll see it as house wrap on new buildings to stop moisture from getting through the walls. It's used for coveralls for handling chemicals and asbestos because it prevents contamination. It's even used for mailing envelopes. Have you ever ordered an item of clothing that came in a plastic mailing bag that needed scissors to open because it's too tough for your teeth? That's Tyvek.
While it's very thin and light, it's also very tough.

― George Orwell

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (1badf350, 219 Wasp, 1minute, 270cowboy, 2500HD, 60 invisible), 2,386 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,170
Posts18,503,147
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.