Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's a Noveske 8" barrel, 1:7" twist.

He never did. I think what I told him was jiving with what he had found online, so like you said, he just did it.

Sure don't.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just an FYI for anyone interested, the latest American Rifleman has an excellent article comparing the Blackout and the Whisper. Several guns and factory loads tested, detailed chamber dimension diagrams, and comments from the "originators" of the cartridges (Jones/Whisper and Silvers/AAC). It's a very good, detailed, informative article.

I won't give away the conclusions, but they pretty much echo my experience and opinions.... Which may be why I liked the article.

Worth a look.

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Noveske is probably Pac Nor which could mean awful good or sometimes so so quality wise... otoh... factory into 2 moa indicates it has promise.

Mesabi... thats probably on my kitchen table, will have to remember to look at the article.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
PMC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I will be hunting with my whisper this weekend using 247 gr lead bullets from a NOE mold. If I get a shot I will try to remember to get pics and update you on the results.

shhh. be vewy vewy quiet. i'm hunting deer. uhhh uhhh uhhhh.
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
appreciated, even if you don't post pics, a link to a photo site would be helpful.

Good luck!

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Has anyone tried a short heavyweight roundnose like the Sierra 220gr ProHunter in the .300 Blackout or Whisper?
It's shorter than the match kings so it should be pretty stable through a suppressor, and has a relatively far forward ogive (relative to length) that should work in almost every throat configuration.
I wonder if it would expand properly at subsonic velocity?

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Poodleshooter, I don't know but I'll guarantee Sierra does - and the minimum velocity for expansion of any of their bullets. Why don't you call the number on their web site and ask for a recommendation?

As I understand the concept of the Whisper, the idea is to hunt big game with supersonic, light bullets in high pressure cartridges, and to shoot low pressure, heavy, subsonic bullets for quiet, low recoil practice, and for discreet shooting. The subsonic round is essentially a pistol bullet, and you'll need to be pretty close to use it.

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Close is relative, 100 yards is going to be real easy. 150 to 200 might be wondering about expansion and energy, but in reality if the projectile works, and you put it in the right place, it doesn't take much to kill a deer or pig.

I'm way new into this theory of subsonic 300whisper type round useage now, but the one link to a forum has given good information so far. But there evidently is not a lot of it yet. Info that is.

PMC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Poodleshooter
Has anyone tried a short heavyweight roundnose like the Sierra 220gr ProHunter in the .300 Blackout or Whisper?
It's shorter than the match kings so it should be pretty stable through a suppressor, and has a relatively far forward ogive (relative to length) that should work in almost every throat configuration.
I wonder if it would expand properly at subsonic velocity?

Yes, did that. It does not expand.

shhh. be vewy vewy quiet. i'm hunting deer. uhhh uhhh uhhhh.
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
I don't trust sierra much these days anyway. after a test on moly years ago, where they used only 4 barrels and I'd shot way more than that out using moly, their results did not mirror mine at all.
Then I've run some of their bullets at the speed parameters they need to expand and get no expansion. Then the next time you go bang the bullet comes apart totally....

I"ve had the most reliable expansion with their SMKs over the years.

Such that these days the best way for me, run the bullet I want at the speed I want and then take it down to the berm and shoot it into something that I think resembles a deer... a number of theories on what that might be, but something... and see if it opens or not.

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 1badf350, 64 invisible), 3,027 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,195
Posts18,503,558
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.