Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Hotload Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Got the Autumn 2012 issue of Sporting Classics this weekend.
Very interesting story about Nash Buckingham and a SxS 12 ga.
A.H.Fox shotgun he called Bo Whoop. The shotgun was made during
the Roaring Twenties. Nash was kind of the John Barsness back in the day.

Anyone see the story or remember Nash Buckingham ?

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
GB1

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Those stories are legendary.....a lot like "whats his name" and the 270 Winchester back in the 50s...

gunut
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
In the back of my mind I was thinking that Bo Whoop went missing, so looked it up.

http://gardenandgun.com/article/legend-bo-whoop

laissez les bons temps rouler
Hotload Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
To me this story alone was worth the price of the magazine. As part of the story,
they talk about the barrels being regulated by Burt Becker.

What does it mean to regulate a shotgun barrel ?

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Start with the choke you desire, then shoot it for pattern. If it is not what you want you hone the barrel with a knowing hand, then shoot and pattern again. Repeat until you arrive at the desired even pattern with no holes. The old standard was at least one pellet in every square inch of pattern.

Fellow by the name of Ken Eyster used to do it and many competition shooters would let no other work on their barrel. His son carries on the business today. When you had a barrel done by him, you could claim your barrel was "Eysterized".

It was a process that was individualized for one specific loading or brand of shell.

http://jimeyster.com/choking/choking.htm

Last edited by battue; 10/16/12.

IC B2

Hotload Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
battue -
The story does say that the barrels had been regulated for the then new - 3" 12ga mag.
Thank You

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Nash was a great shotgunner..I have quite a few of his books, when one reads of some of the old hunts he was on it makes me want to sit down and cry..In one of his duck clubs I think they imposed a limit on the members of 50 ducks a day and maybe 25 geese,, I am not sure about the goose part..He truely lived in the golden age of shotgunning..He and Major Charles Askins wrote some fine stuff..

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nash was of a moneyed family and you can still google on some property holdings out of Memphis.

I read all of Nash's work and just loaned my leatherbound set to a young waterfowl hunter. Much of his hunting was in the flooded timber and the duck camp and boats were operated by black employees.. Much of his writing included their dialect.

Nash would travel to Memphis from his East Coast home by train and his special order Winchester 1-3/8 oz load ammo preceded him by rail.

Bo Whoop was back bored which was an entirely unheard of process back then thus creating the bo-whoop noise as the wads went up the barrel. I have a Stan Baker Big Bore barrel that makes a similar sound.

Bo Whoop was made without a safety as it wasn't considered a requirement for his type of hunting.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
"De Shootinest Gent'man" by Nash Buckingham: A time gone by, never to be revisited by mortals.

Addition: I stand corrected. Once upon a time a man of more than a little means-and one who had a true hunters heart-invited me on two different occasions to shoot all wild Quail at his place in Georgia. He spent a fortune on making it like the old days. 15-20 coveys morning and the same evening. Mule drawn wagons and bird dogs that snapped on point. He even let me use my Springer Abby to flush a few coveys and do pick-up work. I doubt if Mr. Nash had it any better when it came to Quail.

His Daughter was a jewel also, but it wasn't meant to be. blush frown

Last edited by battue; 10/16/12.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
for those that don't know, the story goes something like this...

Nash's orginal Bo Whoop was an XE engraved, HE Fox. The HE Fox was an "over built" Fox made specifically for long range shooting. Early Fox advertisements indicated a "guarantee" on its tight patterns. The HE Fox was built to use the "new" Winchester Super-X 3" shells and while there are some exceptions, most would measure out as having an 11 gauge bore and a TON of choke. Many a claim exist of 70-80 yard waterfowling shots.

Anyways, Bo Whoop was lost in Arkansas after Nash was checked by a game warden. He and his hunting partner went back shortly after realizing it was left behind but it was never found. A second gun was made for Nash, commonly called Bo Whoop 2. The "original" Bo Whoop was "discovered" a few years ago, restocked and then auctioned at James Julia. As I recall, it was the most expensive American made SxS ever to sell publicly at that time... topped a short time later by another Fox made for Teddy Roosevelt. I put original in ""'s b/c there is a good bit of speculation about whether the one that recently came to light is actually the original gun or not.

Both Bo Whoops are on display at the DU museum in Memphis.

Andrew
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Those original Super-X 3" shells were not loaded as hot as our modern 3" magnums, more like what we expect out of current 2 3/4" heavy field loads. If one encounters one of those early 3" guns (ie: Super Fox, L.C.Smith Longrange, etc.) don't assume that 3" shells off the shelf at WalMart are hunkey-dorey in them. Aside from barrel/choke issues related to steel shot in modern magnum loads, there is the equally destructive nature of the violent recoil associated with them- stock heads tend to crack/split in pretty short order, and I wouldn't guarantee them not to come off face sooner than later.

The non-standard boring techniques employed at the time by both Fox and Hunter Arms (Smith) truly made for some astonishingly tight patterns, as I'm here to attest to. But it's best to stick with lead or a similarly soft non-toxic shot.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Nash was a great shotgunner..I have quite a few of his books, when one reads of some of the old hunts he was on it makes me want to sit down and cry..In one of his duck clubs I think they imposed a limit on the members of 50 ducks a day and maybe 25 geese,, I am not sure about the goose part..He truely lived in the golden age of shotgunning. He and Major Charles Askins wrote some fine stuff..

By chance, I ended up with Charles Askins Senior's personal Browning Superposed 12 ga., built to his specs by Browning and delivered in 1932 to his address at Ames, OK.

I'm in New Orleans and will post the link when I get back to my home computer. Bo Whoop was mentioned by posters on that forum. There have been over 32,000 hits on that site since Nov., '07.

DF

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Dirtfarmer, what a buy..I would be awesome to have something of the great shooters of the past..the Major was certainly one of the finest shotguns to comedown the shooting trails..

Molon Labe
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
He was the highest paid gun writer of his era. I've able to acquire some old, vintage books by the Major. It's amazing how advanced those guys were regarding scattergun ballistics and such. You'll see when you get onto the link, how far we were able to take this thing and all the info that was uncovered. Pretty amazing stuff on the Major and the Askins family, including the Col and his son, Bill, now living in San Antonio. Bill was able to add a good bit of otherwise unknown info about his Grandfather. I learned a lot about Col. Askins, good and not so good. He sure was a polarizing force, but that's what made him what he was and for sure, sold copy. The Major was a much easier going guy than his son. The Colonel's mother was a " cantankerous Irish woman" by his own account. Like they say, opposites attract. Seems Charlie Junior was more like his Mom, from whom he was estranged most of his life. He adored his Dad.

DF

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Dirtfarmer, any of this stuff you would be willing to share about the Askins, either the Major or the Col. I would love to read..both were very interesting men..The Major always seemed like a very kind human being..I think in one of my old books it says he also wrote childrens' books..In one of his old books he mentions a dog he trained for some wealthy owner..He had the dog had been inseprable from the time the dog was a puppy..I believe his name was Doc Hicks..anyway the owner ordered the Major to ship the dog to Washington, as the owner had sold him..The Major, who had been the dogs trainer, was pretty broken up over it..I felt the dog was also, for it seemed he did not live long.The Major said he never trained another dog..
The Col. on the other hand was a pretty tough customer..I have his Autobiography, and I also think there was a discussion of him on this site..The Col. killed something like 27 men..and seemed to enjoy it..But he sure was a darned interesting man..
A good friend of mine met the Col. several times..A gentleman who knew the Col. very well ask my pal how he liked the Col..He replied something like we got along well..He was told to remember the Col. is a very dangerous man..
I read several of Bill Askins articles in Gun World, but it seemed he dropped out of the writing game after a short time..

Molon Labe
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Bill has done well, selling real estate and airplanes in San Antonio. Although raised in the shooting/writing business, he's more interested in fancy horses and dressage. He's had some health issues and lost his wife this year. So, he's been through tough times, but being an Askins, is a pretty tough hombre, himself.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Dirtfarmer, any of this stuff you would be willing to share about the Askins, either the Major or the Col. I would love to read..both were very interesting men..The Major always seemed like a very kind human being..I think in one of my old books it says he also wrote childrens' books..In one of his old books he mentions a dog he trained for some wealthy owner..He had the dog had been inseprable from the time the dog was a puppy..I believe his name was Doc Hicks..anyway the owner ordered the Major to ship the dog to Washington, as the owner had sold him..The Major, who had been the dogs trainer, was pretty broken up over it..I felt the dog was also, for it seemed he did not live long.The Major said he never trained another dog..
The Col. on the other hand was a pretty tough customer..I have his Autobiography, and I also think there was a discussion of him on this site..The Col. killed something like 27 men..and seemed to enjoy it..But he sure was a darned interesting man..
A good friend of mine met the Col. several times..A gentleman who knew the Col. very well ask my pal how he liked the Col..He replied something like we got along well..He was told to remember the Col. is a very dangerous man..
I read several of Bill Askins articles in Gun World, but it seemed he dropped out of the writing game after a short time..

Seems that we're hijacking the OP's thread about Nash Buckingham and Bo Whoop, although this topic is somewhat related.

We can start a separate thread if he wishes.

In the meantime, answering your request, here are links to the Shotgunworld 1933 Superposed link and to James Flynn, Gunsmith.

When I got this old Super, the finish was caked, was beginning to orange peel and needed to be re-done. The metal showed honest wear, but was OK. I was in the process of stripping the old finish, as I do a lot of that type work myself. When I found out who had owned this gun, I immediately took it to a high grade gun restoration expert, James Flynn. His link and a link to a piece about him by Terry Wieland are listed below.

I chose to go with a leather covered pad, as it's vintage and period correct. I hate white line recoil pads. Photos show the Major with a period pad and this gun obviously didn't have the original one. It had probably been through several pads since 1932. Instead of an ugly Hawkins or other reproduction pad, I chose what you see. Otherwise, I tried to stay with the spirit of what the Major would have chosen. Besides, James Flynn is one of the best in the country for leather covered pads.

DF

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/vie...amp;sid=102bc88fa4e0be3742b3fa9a18d44556

http://www.doublegunshop.com/flynns_custom_guns.htm

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Thanks, I will check this out..thanks again..

Molon Labe
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I have been reading some of the info. on these sites..great stuff thanks a bunch..Hope you are enjoying that shotgun..I cannot imagine what it would be like to make a find like this..best wishes with the gun and hunting..

Molon Labe
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

69 members (6mmbrfan, 907brass, BALLISTIK, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 8 invisible), 1,468 guests, and 922 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,218
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.