Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have often read that shorter barrels will have more Muzzle flash because the smokeless powder is still burning as the bullet exits the barrel. Therefore, shorter barrels require a faster burning powder for complete combustion of the powder.

I always thought that the powder was completely burned within the first few inches of the bore and barrel length had nothing to do with complete combustion.

Question, how does smokeless powder burn in a rifle barrel? All the way down the bore or within the first few inches of the bore?

Thanks

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
First few inches. Muzzle flash is due to an entirely different thing: flammable gasses igniting in the presence of atmospheric oxygen. Gun propellants "burn rich" and there is fuel left over after all the oxygen in the powder is consumed.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
+2..........More gas is what you get from the muzzle with shorter barrels.

Whether using faster burning powders or slower burning powders, the powder granules are all burned up within the first few inches down the bore.

Regardless of barrel length, load for your particular round the same.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
There are lots of guys who are convinced that shorter barrels require faster powder. It makes perfect sense, but I've read from several on various internet forums that this is not true. That the same powders that give the best speed from longer barrels will also give the best speeds from shorter barrels. From my somewhat limited loading and chronograph work this certainly seems to be the case.

My question is this. Can someone offer some documentation to back this up. I've discussed this with several others in the past and telling them "I read it on the internet" just doesn't seem to convince them. A little proof would be helpful.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Have them look at Hodgdon's data for a few rifle cartridges that were also tested in 15" barrels for the pistol data section. There isn't any significant rearrangement of powders vs. performance.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Several years ago, I had a TC in .30-30. It had a 10 inch barrel.

I thought the same thing, that I needed a faster powder than what would be used in a .30-30 rifle. I contacted Sierra, and their reply was, after the results of much testing and chronographing, the same as the comments above. If it is a rifle cartridge, use a rifle powder, regardless of barrel length.

I did not see the documentation that would back this up, but I trust Sierra's testing and results.

Rocky's explanation for this is about the best I have ever read.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JMR40
There are lots of guys who are convinced that shorter barrels require faster powder. It makes perfect sense, but I've read from several on various internet forums that this is not true. That the same powders that give the best speed from longer barrels will also give the best speeds from shorter barrels. From my somewhat limited loading and chronograph work this certainly seems to be the case.

My question is this. Can someone offer some documentation to back this up. I've discussed this with several others in the past and telling them "I read it on the internet" just doesn't seem to convince them. A little proof would be helpful.

I don't know about the "best speed", but I've got custom X-P 100's in 223, 6 BR, and 6.5-284, all using the same powders in them as in their long barreled counterparts, accuracy being the more important aspect .

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Hi all,

Some time ago I read a book about "Interior Ballistics of Bullets" or what they do while still in the barrel and factors related to performance(or something like that, I am out and about and not sitting in my house where the book is) and the explaination of the increased muzzle speed from longer barrels is because the expanding gas from the gun powder has a longer time to push the bullet down the bore, so the speed increases. In addition, I think JB did an article on this subject as well in Handloader.

Rick

Life is not a spectator sport, get out and have fun.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Twelve years ago when I got my 15" barreled T/C Encore handgun in 7mm-08 I heard some of that "use a faster powder" school of thinking. After a few years of experimentation, chronographing, reading HANDLOADER, and consulting folks who know a lot more than me, that gun now runs on IMR-4064 and mostly with 139 gr. Hornadys. Seems to me that faster powder for shorter barrels stuff is another one of those myths that seem to hang on in spite of tons of evidence to the contrary.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Question, how does smokeless powder burn in a rifle barrel? All the way down the bore or within the first few inches of the bore?

There is a calculator available that shows the point at which the powder is all burned. There are cases you can contrive where it requires 12" or so for the powder to completely burn. But those situations are few (really heavy load of very slow powder). "All burned in the first few inches" isn't always correct, but more often so than not. Download NABM here. Scroll down.

Be not weary in well doing.
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (1minute, 160user, 10Glocks, 22250rem, 1936M71, 007FJ, 66 invisible), 2,592 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,480
Posts18,490,058
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.