Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
I have a 350 Rem mag rifle I bought more for the Brown pounder it was in than anything, and as usual purchased brass/ dies to reload for it before realizing my 35 Whelen and 358 win ruger 77 replace the need for a 350 rem mag. It is my lightest hunting rifle currently, so it is a keeper but too big for where/ what I plan on hunting.

I am thinking the stock and my current desires would be filled better with a 257 Roberts AI chambering, and I have a donor bolt that I could use for the Roberts boltface needs.

My thought is that if the action face needs squaring, a simple solution to reusing the 350 barrel would be to blanchard grind the Recoil lug to remove whatever ( .005" or so?) the gunsmith has to remove to square the face, such that the 350 still headspaces on this action w/o putting money into a Remington $25 barrel that already has a muzzle break for bench pleasure.

So do many smiths do swap barrel guns where there are 2 different bolts headspaced for individual caliber changes, or is this a bad idea? I would probably never use the 350 barrel, but I suspect trying to off a magnum short bolt/ Rem barrel isn't worth listing it for sale, but this is THE donor I currently have , and getting actions from other states adds $85 to the proposition here in lovely California, IE I am done buying used guns that demand the receiving dealers to bend me over making "good deals" average deals. Just a reply to the inevitable " why don't you just get a 06 boltface donor".

Thanks

Allen

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For a pure hunting rifle I wouldn't even bother with squaring it up.

Just have your smith fit the new barrel with the. 473" bolt and yoy keep your mag bolt ready for when you decide you want to shoot the .350.

The concern I have is whether the mag action will feed the .257 without rail work.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Instead of changing the bolt, why not use a round that will work with the current bolt, a 25 WSM.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I have a great idea.Call Jim Briggs at:1-763-682-4296 and he will hook you up with a remage barrel that uses a nut just like a savage.All you need is a couple tools including a go gage for your barrel you purchase then you dont have to modify anything. You wont even need a smith. Believe me Jim will treat you right and he returns his calls in the evening when things slow down a bit.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I have a Rem-age barrel on mine. A Savage barrel nut wrench and a way to set headspace is all it takes to swap barrels. Mine shoots hundred yard clover leafs.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
IC B2

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Oh, A pinned recoil lug is a nice thing as well, especially if the rifle is bedded.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Can one of you post pics of your remage barrel rifles it sounds interesting!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You can do this with a Shilen receiver. http://www.shilen.com/productsCompleteRifles.html

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a new, never installed remage 260ai barrel in varmint contour, SS, pinned lug and nut. All new never used. I'd take $300 shipped for it if anybody wants it all. I bought it new from Jim at nss. I also have brass ill throw in.

I also have a wheeler action wrench and savage nut wrench, and a really nice barrel vise the guy on one of the bench rest forums makes. I'd throw it all in for another $100 if you buy the barrel. I think the vise was $75 by itself.

Last edited by smalljawbasser; 10/28/12.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a 6br rem 700 with a nut setup by pacnor. It's an absolute hammer.

IC B3

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Would consider the 25WSSM or a 25SAUM and leave everything else alone. Your way over complicating the 25 unless you really want a Roberts. Your fire-forming anyway. Leave the gun as-is. Have a barrel trimmed to match yours and have at it... Could also do a 25 6.5 Rem mag if you like belts....

JMO

W

Another way to flap your wings would be a 270WSM with 130's...

Last edited by woofer; 10/28/12.

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Could probably sell the extra bolt for labor costs... Just sayin'...

W

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Hemiallen
I'm going to assume you want to do just what you said you wanted to do. If I was going to do this and wanted to use the original barrel as well as a custom in 257 Whatever, I would first true the lugs and faces on both bolts I would then set up the receiver and recut the locking lug seats. After doing this, I could measure the 350 barrel to establish the proper depth to the boltface and face the receiver to acheive this measurement (+.002" for crush). The the 257 barrel would be fitted as usual and there you would have it. You would always be faced with the problem of securing the lug but there are numerous ways to address that.
It is important the both bolts be square and true so that the use of one doesn't mess up the fit of the other due to uneven wear.
By the way, if it was my rifle, I would just make up a second barrel in 6.5 Rem Mag and call it good. GD

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Thanks for all the suggestions. It will be on a back burner for awhile, I just want to get idea's on what way to lean. The 25 wssm may be a good alternative if a repeater is in the plans.

Thanks again

I will copy this and make sure it stays with this gun.

California dealers want $85 transfer, and some are now adding "sales tax" to the cost, even though no money goes through their register. They say it is the next step closer to TAXING internet sales, California style.

I recently picked up a 223 BF bolt, and found it is a good upgrade on one of my 17 fireballs... No need to bush the firing pin hole, has a tactical knob and actually is about a 0.001" tighter headspace than the original bolt ( ammo I fitted to the gun accepts 1 layer of masking tape, the new bolt almost doesn't close on the 1 layer of tape) after lapping the lugs and seeing 80% + contact. I lost a little fear playing with that bolt body.

Thanks again

Allen

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1badf350, 1234, 16penny, 1lesfox, 64 invisible), 2,580 guests, and 1,357 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,464
Posts18,471,337
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.