Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Loving County, Texas is the least populated county not only in TX but the US.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by stxhunter

I stand corrected. Maybe it was the 2nd or 3rd least populated County in TX.

Is Loving County in the Panhandle ? I remember seeing the sign for Loving County while driving a couple of years back, but can't remember just where it was

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

Yep, about where I figured. Went though that country on the way to hunt Antelope on a Ranch in New Mexico a couple of years ago.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
I think that's it....came across it while I was wandering around trying to find the ranch....which is about four miles away. I like ghost towns.......not all the ghosts had moved out, though.

Burkett is pretty close to there, too. I always get it mixed up with Burkburnett, which is right on the TX/OK border just north of Wichita Falls.

I've got a good friend that has a ranch off of Hwy 206 between Coleman & Santanta, which is real close to Burkett & Echo. I hunt his ranch their in Coleman County pretty often. Lots of deer there, & some pretty good ones too. His neighbor to the north has a big high fence ranch with Elk & Big Whitetail bucks wearing ear tags. We keep hoping his fence will get washed out. Also quite a few feral hogs there, but not near as many as on the Brazos by Old Glory.
I can shoot a hog every day & never make a dent in the herd. We do most of our hog hunting with a bow & arrow or muzzle loader. It got to be too damn boring shooting them with a deer rifle.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Wtxj
Where my trailer is outside of Brownwood, when the dish wasn't working I could get a few local tv channels. One was out of Abilene, they kept calling themselves big country. That's the only reason I had heard it before.

Y'all ever go eat at Undwoods BBQ in Brownwood ? It's always packed & the line is out the door on opening day. Good Fried Chicken & Peach Cobler! Also, there is a nice little Steakhouse in Santa Anta that's really good.

If y'all are ever in Stonewall County, eat at the Cliff House Restrant in Stamford.
It looks like a dive, but has one of the best Chicken Fried Steaks in Texas.
It's right across the street from Wallmart, in Stamford.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Where my trailer is outside of Brownwood, when the dish wasn't working I could get a few local tv channels. One was out of Abilene, they kept calling themselves big country. That's the only reason I had heard it before.

Y'all ever go eat at Undwoods BBQ in Brownwood ? It's always packed & the line is out the door on opening day. Good Fried Chicken & Peach Cobler! Also, there is a nice little Steakhouse in Santa Anta that's really good.

If y'all are ever in Stonewall County, eat at the Cliff House Restrant in Stamford.
Underwoods? Is that an old timey chain? There used to be a pretty good BBQ joint in Sherman by that name. We used to eat there, time-to-time.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by curdog4570
From the Clear Fork,across the Salt Fork,Wichita, and to the Pease Rivers is ALL god's country.Those stretches of highways that border CRP land let us see the country pretty much as it was before the white man came.

This is a not very good picture of the Double Mountain West of Aspermont that gives THAT river its' name:

[Linked Image]

You call those mountains? .....lol

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There are a number of places like Loving County in New Mexico, too, but their counties are mostly very large and include at least one sizable town. I lived in the Capulin/Folsom area a few years ago...a Big Country area for sure, but with some neat old volcanoes, too!

Google Maps

Last edited by Sagebrusher; 10/29/12.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My coyote, dove, quail and mule deer stomping grounds.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

Underwoods? Is that an old timey chain? There used to be a pretty good BBQ joint in Sherman by that name. We used to eat there, time-to-time.

Yes, Underwoods was a family owned BBQ & Fried Chicken Restaurant based out of Abilene in the 1960's. It was always my Grandads favorite eating place & we would drive to Abilene & eat there after Church on Sundays.
From what I understand, Brownwood, TX is the last surviving one in Texas. There used to be a few in the Dallas / Ft Worth area also.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I think that's it....came across it while I was wandering around trying to find the ranch....which is about four miles away. I like ghost towns.......not all the ghosts had moved out, though.

Burkett is pretty close to there, too. I always get it mixed up with Burkburnett, which is right on the TX/OK border just north of Wichita Falls.

I can shoot a hog every day & never make a dent in the herd. We do most of our hog hunting with a bow & arrow or muzzle loader. It got to be too damn boring shooting them with a deer rifle.

My wife was born & raised in Burkburnett or Boomtown as it was once called.

I have a deer lease in Archer county where the hogs out number the deer about 5 to 1. Shooting them is just target practice as it seems to have no effect on population.

On a friends lease they all carry paint guns in different colors of paint and they shoot the hogs with the paint. Then they see which hogs frequent which areas and which ones come back and get shot more than once, etc. I told them to get a grant from the state for their research. Could pay for the lease and have fun at the same time.

I love cruising the Big Country. Put the Harley on cruise and just relax.

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Seven_Heaven

My wife was born & raised in Burkburnett or Boomtown as it was once called.

I have a deer lease in Archer county where the hogs out number the deer about 5 to 1. Shooting them is just target practice as it seems to have no effect on population.

On a friends lease they all carry paint guns in different colors of paint and they shoot the hogs with the paint. Then they see which hogs frequent which areas and which ones come back and get shot more than once, etc. I told them to get a grant from the state for their research. Could pay for the lease and have fun at the same time.

I love cruising the Big Country. Put the Harley on cruise and just relax.

Sounds like fun. Might have to do a little hog research for myself. Wonder if they make paint balls tough enough to shoot out of my Hawken .54 cool

We drive up to Burkburnett 3 or 4 times a year & stay at the new Hampton Inn while donatiting funds back to the Commaches & Kiowas across the River... They usually are pretty good at taking our money. Damn one-armed bandits!

Last edited by chlinstructor; 10/30/12.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Mentone is the County Seat.And..........Loving,Tx is NOT in Loving County.It's in Young Cty and is where I grew up.Both were named for Oliver Loving,of Loving/Goodnight fame.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

Yes, Underwoods was a family owned BBQ & Fried Chicken Restaurant based out of Abilene in the 1960's. It was always my Grandads favorite eating place & we would drive to Abilene & eat there after Church on Sundays.
From what I understand, Brownwood, TX is the last surviving one in Texas. There used to be a few in the Dallas / Ft Worth area also.
Thanks for the info. I always wanted to eat at the one in Sherman, but Dad never would stop there. Then one time, we stopped there with my Uncle. After that, Dad would stop there too.

My Uncle made the Continental Trailways bus run from DFW to someplace out west...maybe Abilene. I forget. One night he had to stop because of all the rattlesnakes on the highway crawling up to get the heat of the asphalt.

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
From the Clear Fork,across the Salt Fork,Wichita, and to the Pease Rivers is ALL god's country.Those stretches of highways that border CRP land let us see the country pretty much as it was before the white man came.

This is a not very good picture of the Double Mountain West of Aspermont that gives THAT river its' name:

[Linked Image]

That's my view from the front porch at the Ranch, here! I'm on the Double Mountain Fork, just 12 miles as the crow flies from the Double Mountains. I'm right next to Flat Top Mtn.
Mom was raised in Haskell & we have the old family farm that they settled on in 1870.
Dads people all settled in Aspermont in 1875. I still have the original deed to our home place on the River their. It's now the Mt. Olive Cematary. I live just south of Old Glory. No body out side of the Big Country has ever heard of Old Glory.

Stop telling every body where our Big Deer are! grin
And yes, this area of Texas has always been called "The Big Country"

Very familiar with the Double Mountains. My folks grew up near Roby and Rotan. Throughout my childhood, we always came up to this area to visit family there, Hamlin, Sylvester, and Hawley. Still have many cousins in this area. Flew into Aspermont to do a patient transfer a couple of months ago.

I saw some Muleys just southeast of Lake Alan Henry the day before yesterday. Have seen Pronghorn just a few miles northwest of Snyder on the northeast side of Hwy 84. The best whitetail hunting I have ever experienced was on a ranch just south of Sylvester.

Love this area...

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Steve,Peacock Tx would qualify as a ghost town were it not for the little antique shop which is open by appt only.It's on a FM road that circles off hwy 380 at Aspermont and back onto it North of Peacock.It was a quail heaven back in the 'sixties according to an old huntin' friend of mine.They had some BIG money hunts out there a couple of years hand runnin'.

First time I made the circle thru Peacock happened to be on a Sun. afternoon.A lady had the little antique shop open and had fixed lunch for the church "crowd" [musta been at least eight folks] and there was enough left to feed me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've seen Muleys a few times around Clairemont[damn,there's ANOTHER ghost town!] but never anywhere South of there.

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
We're going to be at Kent County EMS in Jayton, participating in a PR event. Come on by if you get the chance.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Look at the first picture Hondo posted of the pretty sunset.Imagine that's all there is for many miles.Then.....You can see these two HILLS out in the middle of nowhere.

I explained that it was a poor picture.There are better views of it from other directions,but I've never stopped to take pictures from them.

It's said that Coronado used the Double Mountains as a Land Mark when first exploring this area. Also rumored that the Spanish Conquistadors had a big copper mine right here on the Brazos. It's a known fact that the Buffalo Hunters used the Double Mountains to find their way back to Rath City, about where Hamlin is now. Rath City was a early frontier trading post where the Buffalo hunters traded their hides. Flat Top Mounatin was a sacred meeting area for the Commanches & Kiowas who kicked the early Spanish Explorer's ass all the way back to N.M. along with the lowly Apaches.
Lots of neat history in the area. My Grandad picked up cigar boxes full of arrowheads on top of ole Flat Top when he was a kid, here, living on our Ranch.

Get ready to stand corrected if Birdwatcher sees your post.He's devoted a multi-page thread [Comancheria] to establishing the fact that the Comanches never whupped nobody but women and kids.grin grin grin

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (160user, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 007FJ, 71 invisible), 2,831 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,235
Posts18,485,710
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.