Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Can folks from out of state buy big game tags over the counter. Also is there caribou hunting in Ontario. Thanks

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
In BC,except for immediate family,all non resident alien big game hunters must be guided.It's a sweetheart deal between the Government and the guides,and I don't like it the way it stands.As a resident I can buy elk,deer and black bear tags OTC,along with some moose,goat and sheep areas.Other areas are Limited Entry(draw) for sheep,moose,grizzly,goats and elk. Monashee

Support the BC Wildlife Federation
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
here in Yukon,

non resident alien need to go troughout outfitters.
non resident can be guided troughout a special guide license every three years.

for the resident except some areas its OTC even for Grizzly ...

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
No caribou hunt in Ontario, unless of course you're a Canadian Indian. shocked

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
NO OTC tags for non residents for moose, bear or caribou in Saskatchewan.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not here in NB either for moose. No caribou here at all.

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
In most of Canada a non-resident alien must hunt with a guide or what we call in Alberta a hunter host.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
GRF,

in Quebec you can buy OTC a moose tag (but if you dont know where to go ...). for caribou and bear you need an outfitter.

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
We have 500 acres in North Ontario by Hudson Bay. We aren't CA resident but own land so I don' know how that works. Years ago they could just by so many tags based on the land size for bear an moose. That is why I am checking what the new rules an laws are. How about over in New Brunswick an Nova Scotia.

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Phil thanks for the heads up.

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
A non-resident land owner in Ontario can purchase a moose or bear tag, OTC, in the Wildlife management unit they own land in. Calf moose only. If 10 guys own a piece of land as, joint tenants or, tenants in common, then only one of them may purchase a tag.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
As much as all here would like to help out, I'd still recommend looking up the MNR website. If still in the dark, call them.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by wildchild2010
We have 500 acres in North Ontario by Hudson Bay. We aren't CA resident but own land so I don' know how that works. Years ago they could just by so many tags based on the land size for bear an moose. That is why I am checking what the new rules an laws are. How about over in New Brunswick an Nova Scotia.

I would think your place in Canada must be your mainplace of residence. You would also need to be a Canadian Citizen in order to have "RESIDENT" status. Your status would be considered "Non-resident Alien" therefore a Outfitter would be needed or Hunter Host.

Last edited by MightyPeace; 10/29/12.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
No requirement for citizenship. In Ontario, you need to be able to prove that you lived in Ontario for in excess of the previous 6 months. Owning land doesn't cut it. You can be a Landed Immigrant with permanent resident status and not be a Canadian. My wife was for years, but because she could prove that she lived in Ontario full time, she qualified for Ontario resident status. She shot a moose and a gazillion grouse on a resident ticket.

The local game wardens here had an American who owned property near here charged for making false statements on his application for resident hunting licence (for moose, IIRC) because he did not have an Ontario driver's licence and still had a Minnesota DL. He had a permanent residence in MN, and I believe he even had his mail from his CDN address forwarded to the USA address.

There ought to be a benefit for residents -- even if it is just to pay the higher taxes. grin

Last edited by the_shootist; 10/29/12.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Yes. being a citizen. or a resident, is not necessarily the same thing.
I see on the radio station website people from Manitoba
fined, BIG,for buying a resident Ontario licence.
They may have grown up in Ontario, and moved. Back for a stay,they buy the cheaper tags, and get nailed.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
A non-resident land owner can still buy tags for calf moose over the counter--he does of course have to pay the non-resident fee--this year $477--He just doesn't have to use an outfitter. He also has to hunt in the WMU where he owns property.

Up until last year he could even go in on the adult moose tag draw.

It is illegal to be a resident of 2 provinces or 2 states at the same time. It is not illegal to be a resident of 2 countries. That is why most states or provinces require a certan amount of time in state as proof of residency.

There is a local retired guy who owns property hereabouts-- his primary residence I would say is Wisconsin but he spends a lot of time in Ontario. He was duly charged for hunting under a resident liscense. Question before the court was 'did he spend enough time in Ontario to qualify as a resident?'. The Crown offered a plea deal--total fine would have been $103 plus $27 court costs. He refused. Charges were stayed.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
For an American,the rigmarole of getting legal to hunt in Canada is no small part of the battle.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

273 members (10ring1, 1_deuce, 12savage, 204guy, 12344mag, 16gage, 32 invisible), 2,371 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,501
Posts18,490,488
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.