Hop To
#70219 06/15/02
S
Spike Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Your Jambalya receipe got me motivaded to catch some crawfish. I haven't done it in years and took my son and tossed out a couple pots and let them sit overnight in a local river. We did pretty good, a couple dozen at least. My son and I boiled them up and took out the tail meat and we're going to use your recipe to make some good grub.
<br>
<br>[Linked Image]
<br>
<br>[Linked Image]

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Spike I have a creek just down the road a bit that I used to catch craw dads . I havent soaked a pot in a few years now with Boggys recipie I have reason to go do it again. What are you using for bait? i usually use canned cat food. pop a few small holes in the can and put it in the pot.
<br>
<br>
<br>Bullwnkl.

Money talks Bull [bleep] walks
Business as usual
S
Spike Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Bull-
<br>
<br>That's exactly what I did. Tossed in a few freezer burnt pieces of fish also for good luck.
<br>I'll tell you what, I had a great time...and the eat'n ain't so bad either. A little bit of melted butter and garlic salt and I could all the tails you fed me.
<br>
<br>Good luck, let us know how you do.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Spike, over on the Cascade side of the pond in a few impoundments, Alder lake, Rife and a few others crawdads abound. I was on the dry side a few years back at Lake Perrigine out of Winthrop and there was a fellow there who was catching them by the wash tub full Think it is time for an excursion with my little guy.
<br>He is almost six and needs to go out with Dad. I am in desperate need of a new hunting and fishing buddy so now is the time to get him really started. Crawdads might just be the ticket. We have done a little fishing but I want to hear him say "lets go Fishing dad" that would make my day.
<br>Any way do you deveine them or let them clean out, I have found if you let them get hungry they eat one another. Canablistic little critters. Melted butter, garlic salt and cold beer, just about as good as hot crab and cold beer.
<br>
<br>Bullwnkl.

Money talks Bull [bleep] walks
Business as usual
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Spike, sure hope you enjoy the jambalaya. Pretty good stuff with a good green salad and some crusty french bread. When you boil the crawdads don' forget to suck the heads. Don' want all the goody to go to waste [Linked Image]
<br>I don't devein crawdads but I do clean them out. Put your craws in a cooler with salt water for two hours. Dump the water and do it again then cook them. Don't have to worry about what kind of water they were living in then.
<br>If you want I got a good Crawfish Etouffee recipe for you to try.
<br>That is one cute kid. Takes after his Mama don't he?
<br>You want your boy to catch crawfish just tie a piece of salt pork on the end of a line and sink it. A net makes it more sure but he can catch plenty without it as most of them will hang on while you lift them out and swing them to the bank if you are easy.
<br>BCR
<br>
<br>ps don't forget to pop the claws there is a good bite of meat that will usually come out with the pincer part. You like crab fingers? That's what you got.

Last edited by Boggy Creek Ranger; 06/15/02.

Quando Omni Moritati
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Boggy,
<br>
<br>If you wouldn't mind sharing, I would love that etouffee recipe.
<br>
<br>That is one dish I love and would to have a quality recipe for it.
<br>
<br>Thanks!
<br>
<br>Bill

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sure thing Westman. Now be advised that there are about as many recipes for Etouffee as there are cajuns in Louisana. I don't say this one is the be all end all of recipes. I will say it is easy to do, I have used it for a long time and nobody ever turned up their nose at it.
<br>
<br>Ettouffee (crawfish or shrimp)
<br>
<br>Two pounds crawfish tails peeled
<br>1/4 pound butter (no substitute)
<br>1 cup fine chopped onion
<br>1/2 cup fine chopped celery
<br>1/2 cup fine chopped green bell pepper
<br>2 Tbs crawfish fat ( if you don't have it use another tbs butter)
<br>2 cups cold water
<br>1 tbs corn starch
<br>1/4 cup chopped green onions tops and all
<br>1/4 cup chopped parsley
<br>Creole seaoning ( I use Tony Chacheres)
<br>Pinch of dried thyme and Pinch of dried oregano
<br>1/4 tsp. ground bay leaf ( can use regular bay leaf but take it out before serving)
<br>
<br>Sprinkle a little salt and black and red pepper on your crawfish tails. Heat the butter in a heavy pot and saute the onion, celery and bell pepper about 5 minutes or until clear. Add the crawfish fat ( or butter) and 1 1/2 cups water. Add creole seasoning (to taste) and spices and crawfish tails. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low and simmer @ half an hour. Disolve the corn starch in a half cup water and add to the pot. Add the green onions and parsley and cook about five more minutes.
<br>
<br>Spoon it over hot rice and enjoy.
<br>BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Boggy,
<br>
<br>Wow, that looks good! My folks live on a lake that is abundant with real good sized crawfish. We'll be giving this a try!
<br>
<br>Thank you.
<br>
<br>Bill

S
Spike Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
DAMN!!!
<br>
<br>Sorry Boggey, I had a long post tapped out to you and hit the wrong key and it all disappeared. Too tired to type it over, I'll get to it tomorrow.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

152 members (257 mag, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 44mc, 7887mm08, 6mmCreedmoor, 10Glocks, 10 invisible), 1,624 guests, and 1,103 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,449
Posts18,528,844
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.