Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep!

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by nighthawk
And bang you're right back to the question of when life begins.
If you had taken Bio 101, you'd know that life begins at conception. If the egg and sperm were from human beings, then the life is a human being too.

Yup. Google "law of biogenesis". Like begets like.

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
This will get you. What happens to a eighteen year old girl living on her own and working for a living if she is raped and becomes pregnant. In Oregon if she has no insurance, as in a young lady just a couple of months into a job, she cannot get help from the state unless she will give the name of the father. Never mind if she is about the fifth one raped by a man of the same description and the police are looking for him, no name, no help... unless she wants an abortion. The family all helped and we paid.

My last look at this pathetic thread.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Im not going to read thru all these posts but just want to share my own. I have a nephew that was born from a rape victim whom is my sister in-law. I thank GOD she didnt choose abortion.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by high_country_
You guys that think raped women should be forced to carry the baby.....would you offer up your wife to save another woman the torment? I thought not.

Instead, you would execute the child for the crime of it's father. That's barbaric.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you had taken Bio 101, you'd know that life begins at conception. If the egg and sperm were from human beings, then the life is a human being too.

Aw c'mon guys, that's commonplace shorthand for when does a person with cognizable human rights, what rights, and to what extent, come into being. Not simply the biological event.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Aw c'mon guys, that's commonplace shorthand for when does a person with cognizable human rights, what rights, and to what extent, come into being. Not simply the biological event.
As soon at he or she is a distinct, living, human being, which occurs at conception.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Circular "reasoning" � "reasoning" using a prechosen conclusion as a "premise." Result � gibberish.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hm? It has been debated for millenia as to when the soul enters the body. Not quite so long in jurisprudence as to when personal rights attach but at least back to the Roman empire. I would argue only that we should treat both instances as at conception because we don't know. We can only say with certainty that in either case the question doesn't arise before conception. Believing wrongly has difficult consequences. How specific cases should be addressed after that point is another matter.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Plinker
You guys that think raped women should be forced to carry the baby.....would you offer up your wife to save another woman the torment? I thought not.

Instead, you would execute the child for the crime of it's father. That's barbaric.

I hope you never have to deal with the aftermath of rape.....and were anyone to tell my loved ones how they had to decide their lifes fate, god help them.

Wow is all I can say. It's barbaric to allow a woman to choose how her life will be after rape, but not to force her to live the memory for all time......yikes.

This is what makes America, America.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

IOW, when Man, in all his self-assumed judgement and for whatever may be his own purposes, deigns to recognize the rights that God has already given that person.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh does that statement open fresh cans of worms! smile I was hoping to steer philosophical but in vain. Which is neither good nor bad, just the inevitable course of events it seems.

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Plinker

What's barbaric is you trying to force your will on the victim of a crime that you yourself will never be the victim of.

It's not your body and you weren't the victim so how can you have the audacity to make the victim suffer a 2nd injustice by forcing her to carry the byproduct of the crime committed against them to term? And lets be real clear here, the woman will be suffering another trauma if the very thought of what is inside her forces her to relive the original crime against her over and over again.

I'd love to hear some of you self righteous do-gooders if your daughter or loved one was pulled off a street by 5 blacks, beat to a pulp and violated in a most cruel manner. Tell them,...but, but,..it's an innocent child inside of you.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Imposed morality, of any flavor...on any platform, is wrong and should be put down...IMO

Barak Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rrroae
What's barbaric is you trying to force your will on the victim of a crime that you yourself will never be the victim of.

I know this thread is several pages long by now, but keep in mind that the original ad, at the top of the thread, came from Feminists for Life. Feminists. You know, females.

Whatever the merits of the viewpoint, it's evidently not one held only by men.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Jesus christ was a product of RAPE..

Barak Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by setch
Imposed morality, of any flavor...on any platform, is wrong and should be put down...IMO

That's like saying that for a guy to flap his arms and fly to the moon is wrong and should be put down.

It's an academic point.

Morality cannot be imposed from outside. Someone acting in a particular way because he fears retribution if he acts otherwise is motivated by law, not morality.

A man who acts morally does so because he chooses voluntarily to choose his own behavior in such a way that it approaches a moral standard that he has willingly adopted for himself.

A rapist (in the classical sense, now, not one of the more modern watered-down versions) who impregnates his victim requires her, among other things, to make a decision between at least two unpleasant alternatives--making room in her life on very short notice to carry a pregnancy to term, or murdering her own child.

It's a heinous violation of her rights to force her into such a choice, which is one of the reasons that we think of it as such a terrible crime.

But looking for a cheap, quick way out of it--well, okay, it's murder, but in this case I guess we can give you a pass--isn't a solution to the problem at hand, and defrauding the victim into thinking it is one is a further violation of her rights.

Regardless of what the government says, if she has an abortion she will become a child-murderer, and years later when she's lying in bed staring at the ceiling wondering if it was a boy or a girl she killed and whether she would be a grandmother by now if she hadn't, the government will not be there with a solution.

It's one of those bad things that you can't make better. But you can definitely make it worse, that's for damn sure. You can make anything worse by denying reality.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
Barak Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hubert
Jesus christ was a product of RAPE..

Yah, because she was only a Jew, right, and not a real person, and therefore without moral agency and incapable of consenting?

I've heard it before. It doesn't impress me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Barak
It's just that my understanding of the feminist viewpoint would be incompatible with an anti-abortion position. "Feminists For Life" feels to me like "Cowboy Action Shooters Against Guns" or "Environmentalists For Strip-Mining."

The group was founded to counter the Leftist/Democrat propaganda/narrative that put that idea in your head.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Ken Howell

Not quite right! Bio 101 teaches the fact that life began generations ago (when is another debate topic altogether, for another discussion).

The sperm, part of the father, is alive.

The ovum (egg), part of the mother, is alive.

The zygote, the ovum fertilized by the sperm, is alive. And it's a brand-new individual, not a part of either the father or the mother. It's in the mother, but it's not part of her � just as a shirt button swallowed by the father would be in him but not part of him.

This is true whether the individual is a mouse, an elk, or a human � a simple fact of biology.

IIRC from too many decades ago, looking at zygotes through microscopes, the zygote contains nothing that can be identified as either sperm or ovum. It's completely and obviously a brand-new and distinctly different organism. But it doesn't generate life � it has gotten its life from the two other organisms that formed it.

Great post, Ken.

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

387 members (163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 41 invisible), 2,054 guests, and 1,060 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,559
Posts18,510,597
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.