CLICK HERE for $70 INSTANT SAVINGS on Eligible NIKON MONARCH 5 BINOCULARS!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#6990051 - 10/21/12 Re: One COLD Elk Hunt [Re: Lawdwaz]
dconrad Offline

Loc: Oregon/Alaska
I remember that year, we packed into the eagle caps and it was a cold one, 85 I think.

RV 728 BP
#6990109 - 10/21/12 Re: One COLD Elk Hunt [Re: dconrad]
Docburb Offline

Loc: Eastern Oregon
I bet it was 1985 also. It got cold around the first of November and stayed cold with lots of sub zero weather even in Pendleton and Walla Walla.

#6990676 - 10/21/12 Re: One COLD Elk Hunt [Re: dogzapper]
Waders Offline
Campfire Tracker

Friend Steve,

I day-hunt from my house. Every day I go to the laundry room and pick out some fresh, dry clothes. I swing by the mocha stand for coffee before heading out to slog around in the rain and mud. I used to feel guilty for not having a more hard-core method of chasing elk, but now...I am thankful for it!

Brrrrr!

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.

#6990912 - 10/21/12 Re: One COLD Elk Hunt [Re: Waders]
lochsa Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Idaho

DZ,

thanks for sharing your hunting stories. I'm hunting the Idaho side of hells canyon this year. Heading up this week with a cow tag.

oregon is just across the canyon

#6992776 - 10/22/12 Re: One COLD Elk Hunt [Re: dogzapper]
AB2506 Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Calgary Alberta, Canada
Thanks for the remembrance.

I know some of what you speak. In 1994, I shot a bull moose on December 6th. The weather that morning was -37C. A very light wind took the windchill to -43C. I managed to locate a 58" moose (net B&C 189 6/8). After the shot and the war hoops and the photos, I thought I had better get the hides off pronto or I would have to chisel them off. Darn near froze my hands getting the lower legs skinned. Spent about 35 minutes warming hands over the heater vent (fortunately I could drive the old Toyota right up beside the beast). I don' know which is worse, freezing the hands, or thawing them, both are very painful. Anyways, once into the heavier muscled areas, and during the gutting, never had to stop again. The heat off the animal kept the hands warm. Four hours, the critter is skinned, gutted, cut into 7 pieces a man can handle and in the back of the red Toyota.

Why do we hunt? It really is like brutal work at times!

#6995070 - 10/22/12 Re: One COLD Elk Hunt [Re: AB2506]
Load Offline

Loc: Oregon, USA
Nice stories, I enjoyed reading them.

We also have Turkey day cow tags this year. Last time it was at a balmy 7 at 7am. I wouldn't want it much worse than that. But I'm setting my gear up a bit differently and assuming its going to be colder. I can always shed layers.

#6996003 - 10/23/12 Re: One COLD Elk Hunt [Re: Lawdwaz]
Oldman03 Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: Louisiana
Thanks for the story and pics!

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"!

I told my wife I could agree with her, but then we would both be wrong!

#6996834 - 10/23/12 Re: One COLD Elk Hunt [Re: Oldman03]
pointer Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Loc: Indiana
Thanks for the stories and pics. You've definitely lived life. I hope to have 1/2 as many worthy stories to share when I'm you're age. Congrats on life.

#7000847 - 10/24/12 Re: One COLD Elk Hunt [Re: pointer]
Robster Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Central NY
Quote:
Hey, nobody would buy a book of crap like this. Just the reminiscences of an old broken-down cowboy. Rodeos, turned pack saddles during a dark night pack, rides through deep snow and freezing to death, getting your foot stepped on by a tall mule ... sh!t, such fun.

You dont think anyone would buy it????? I think it would be a hit. I have ALL of Howard Copenhavers books, read and reread, also some little known guy wink by the name of Elmer Keith wrote a book "Hell, I Was There". I dont think ANYONE ever bought his book and read it wink. I have read and reread that book as well. I for one vote that you write your book, fill it with your pictures as well, and you can retire on the proceeds smile.

Hope you write one someday, I bet a lot of the guys would buy it and read it. Your stories are worth telling and saving in print.

#7001148 - 10/24/12 Re: One COLD Elk Hunt [Re: dogzapper]
Dave_in_WV Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Loc: West Virginia
That picture of Karen is one of my favorites. No words needed but are appreciated.

#7011341 - 10/27/12 Re: One COLD Elk Hunt [Re: Dave_in_WV]
Coyote_Hunter Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Loc: 6491 Feet Above Sea Level
Great story - thanks! That's some dedication to elk hunting, too!

Dow here in CO I don't think I've ever seen it below -20 and then only once or twice.

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

#7062331 - 11/10/12 Re: One COLD Elk Hunt [Re: Coyote_Hunter]
7 STW Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Good stuff Steve.Nice pics to go with the stories.

#7062524 - 11/10/12 Re: One COLD Elk Hunt [Re: Coyote_Hunter]
saddlesore Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO, USA
Great stories. I hunted the Red Deer River country NW of Calgary one year and it was -25 all week.That is the coldest I ever want to hunt.

I can sure appreciate the night riding poetry. We leave camp every morning about two hours before first light.

#7063388 - 11/11/12 Re: One COLD Elk Hunt [Re: saddlesore]
saddlering Online   content
Campfire Outfitter

Loc: Michigan, In , Boon
Steve, was a great story & poem, some of us have never got to ride at night on the mountain, So a book would be the next best thing! Id buy the 1st one! take care friend, hope Karen is still doing well!

#7063608 - 11/11/12 Re: One COLD Elk Hunt [Re: Lawdwaz]
kunas Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: va
nice story and pics

#7063761 - 11/11/12 Re: One COLD Elk Hunt [Re: kunas]
mitchellmountain Offline
Campfire Regular

on my very first elk hunt I hunted with a guide named Rudy Rudibaugh( or real close to that). He was an old cowboy and aparently didn't believe in comfort. He took us up to 13000 in the third rifle season in Colorado. During the day it was cold but at night it was brutal, every night it dropped down between -25F and -32F. I slept in my sleeping bag, in my woolrich pants and down jacket with a stocking cap on. I remember waking up and seeing my breath frozen on the side tent where I was sleeping. Rudy gave us a little woodburner that he lit to humor us and that was about it. I can honestly say I've never slept worse in my life than I did that week and have never been so cold. Shot at my first elk on that trip and had a hell of a time. I remember one old bullshytter guide trying to tell me that bull elk droppings had dimples and cow elk dropping didn't and that is how you knew you were tracking a bull, that about a 1000 other lies to try and entertain us. I also remember thinking the camp cook was dumpy brunette chick with potty mouth when I got there and by the end of the week thinking what the hell, if she was willing then,,,,,,.

MM

#7064380 - 11/11/12 Re: One COLD Elk Hunt [Re: mitchellmountain]
snubbie Offline
Campfire Ranger

Loc: Western North Carolina Mtns
I once hunted grouse in NC with -4 temps. That was tough! (cough, cough, nervous laugh)
Seriously, I cannot even wrap my head around hunting in those conditions. I do know your wife is tougher than me!

By the way, write the book, I'll gladly place my order!

Great story!

Edited by snubbie (11/11/12)

Originally Posted By: Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

#7071348 - 11/13/12 Re: One COLD Elk Hunt [Re: snubbie]
PaulDaisy Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Colorado
I so can relate. I hunted moose in Siberia with my brother in 89-94 and the warmest it got was -20. We had a good time! Not when I hit a tree with the bone of the hind quarter that I was carrying in the pack and the momentum swung me around, I lost balance and fell, meat first, into 7-foot deep snow, with the skis still attached. All I could see is a manhole-size sky blotch and my feet, and all I could hear is my brother dying of laughter. He didn't even rush to my rescue, busy holding on to a sapling so not to fall in himself. I sure told him all I had though about his behavior once I untangled from the backpack and got to my feet, chest deep in the snow.
Why do we hunt? I keep asking myself that question too... Never found the answer, it is inside somewhere, so deep that it can't be extracted without removing one's soul out along with it.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
RV 180 2
CLICK HERE for HUGE SUMMER DAYS SAVINGS on ZEISS OPTICS at CAMERA LAND!
RV 160 1 2
RV 160 2 2
Who's Online
187 registered (7mmbuster, 280shooter, 3dtestify, 4th_point, 257heaven, 26 invisible), 751 Guests and 424 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
RV 160 3 2
Forum Stats
53,446 Registered Members
72 Forums
691,983 Topics
9,998,495 Posts

Most users ever online: 4,830 @ 12/02/14

Copyright © 2000-2015 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.