Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
I have been thinking about buying a 17 Remington to shoot varmints with due to low chance of a ricochet. So I have been reading all my old Varmint hunters, Small Caliber News, etc. I have read several times now if you hunt coyotes without snow on the ground use a bigger caliber than 17. The writers state that all 17's are not enough to kill coyotes out right and you will have runners that you won't find without snow.

So you guys that use 17's do you have a lot of runners? Would they be hard to find with out snow?

Dink

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
General observation ............ those that shoot the 17 will praise it and those who never have, will trash it.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The .17 Remington is a dog killin' sonofabitch. Period.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
The writers (such as Pat Cameron) all really like the 17's. Whether it be a Remington or a wildcat. But they still advise against using one with out snow.

I have owned a couple of 17 Remington's in the past but only shot prairie dogs and a fox or two.

Dink

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by DINK
The writers (such as Pat Cameron) all really like the 17's. Whether it be a Remington or a wildcat. But they still advise against using one with out snow.

I have owned a couple of 17 Remington's in the past but only shot prairie dogs and a fox or two.

Dink

Maybe they were using the wrong bullet. Because 25gr HP's knock the dog schit out of...dogs... grin

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by deflave

Dink

Maybe they were using the wrong bullet. Because 25gr HP's knock the dog schit out of...dogs... grin

Travis

You shooting Hornady, Berger or Kindler?

Dink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave

Travis

You shooting Hornady, Berger or Kindler?

Dink

Take your pick, they'll all work if you can shoot.

Also keep in mind that hook and bullet scribes have a dead-line if they want to eat.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I've used the Hornady's, Bergers, and the now non-existent Remingtons.

Bergers only the past few years though.

Travis

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I love the 17rem..but IMO aint that great as a dedicated coyote gun. Had lots of them drop as if stone dead, only to take off in a few seconds. Just my observations. I use 25gr Vmax and 25gr berger MEF

edit to add, MOST of them shot with the 17 drop like they had a crane fall on them.

Last edited by rosco1; 10/29/12.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Berger 25 gr and Rel 15 and the dogs die right there . 17 Rem is great on yotes and you have to hunt for the hole in the hide.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you want to keep the hides, the .17's are great. I've shot a few at fairly extended ranges with my .17 Remington and Hornadies and it knocked them to the ground like they were hit with a hammer. Hit one broadside in the neck and almost took his head off.
However, if ricochet is your main concern, just get a fast .22- .223AI, 22-250, 220 Swift, etc... and use good bullets like the Ballistic tips, VMax, Sierra HPBT, or other explosive varmint bullets and they won't ricochet. If they even hit a blade of grass, they come apart like a bomb going off. For longish shots, the fast .22's are a better choice.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I like the 17 Rem with 25 grain HP for coyotes.The few that I've had to track were on shots somewhere over 250 yards or with 20 grain BT's

Last edited by Farming; 10/29/12.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
My experience echoes that of Travis. Coupled with a 25 grain bullet the 17 is a phenomenal coyote rifle. I used one for many years as my calling rifle. I didn't try to make a 400 yard coyote gun out of it but then it's rare to have to take a shot like that when you're calling. I have never had one (out of scores of coyotes) get up after taking a good chest shot from the 17. I used the Hornady 25 grain HP almost exclusively. It was rare to have an exit wound. You will love the 17. The guys that have them generally love them. When I had mine I ran into a fair number of shooters who wanted to run it down but they usually never had owned one. Nearly every one who has used one extensively loves them.

Mart

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The late Blain Eddy killed somewhere over 2000 coyotes mostly with the 17 Rem and smaller.

Yes, its biased, but check out the coyotegods forum and see how many coyotes have met their end from a 17 Rem.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The 17 Rem is an awesome killer, period! I too shoot the 25 grn Hornady HP.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
17 Rem is easily my favorite coyote round.

I shoot the 25s exclusively.

Wonderful cartridge.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by minengr
The late Blain Eddy killed somewhere over 2000 coyotes mostly with the 17 Rem and smaller.

Yes, its biased, but check out the coyotegods forum and see how many coyotes have met their end from a 17 Rem.

Yep,the .17 Remington is a red hot performer on all types of small critters. I use Hornady 25gn HP's and Varget.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
DINK: I take umbrage with the impression you got from your research on the 17 Remington and Coyote Hunting.
My experience with my 3 17 Remington Varminters has lead me to a rather different opinion.
Let me relay just one instance for your consideration.
We were Hunting Coyotes over in Powder River country a few January's ago.
We were both night calling and day calling.
I had an incident with my Remington 40XB-KS where we called in and ruined a well furred Coyote - I shot him at 20 yards head on and ruined his hide in a couple of places!
So the next morning I took along my 17 MachIV (which runs at only about 90% the speed and energy of a 17 Remington) Rifle and it was now again my turn at the trigger.
Well we call in an "educated" Coyote that hangs up on the far side of Fallon Creek from us.
Try as we might we could not get him off his haunches and to get any closer than the Leica lasered 400 yards where he sat!
I decided to "try" the shot - I held on his forehead as he looked and yipped directly at us and touched off the shot.
The Berger MEF hit him dead center in the chest and he fell flopping (very little) right there in his tracks.
There was snow on the ground that day but it was NOT needed.
Use a good 17 caliber bullet and good marksmanship (tall swiveling Harris Bi-pod as well) and you should not have any trouble bringing to bag Coyotes with 17 caliber centerfires.
I say go for the 17 Remington and get after the song dogs!
Best of luck if you decide to try one.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I've been using one since 1971. First for Fox and nowadays for Coyotes. Started out using the excellent (early years) Rem. bullet, then the Hornady, then the Berger Match, and now the Nagels. My experience is the same as Travis's, its a dog killin' sonofabitch.......and a great fur friendly round.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dingo
[Linked Image]

Dingo,,,, that is one beautifull rifle.
Very well done sir.

Makes my old beat up 700 Classic look like a turd.
Wouldn't trade her for anything though.
[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
237 members (2ndwind, 264mag, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 308Palma, 35 invisible), 1,635 guests, and 766 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,186,239
Posts18,371,389
Members73,765
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.