-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hi All: I am intrigued by the replaceable blade system on the Havalon Piranta knives. Anyone use one? Do you like them? Plus/minus. How long do the blades last? Thanks for your insight.

Kevin Haile
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have one but have not used it on game. It is truely scarey sharp but I don't like the idea of handling the scapel blades, especially in the field. I view my Havalon knife as strickly a caping tool.

I have used scapels for caping, they are a great tool when at home BUT it is common to break blades. The blades are not tolerant to any sort of prying.

Like all blades the edge quality degrades with use and the type of use. Cutting through hair (dirt) and constantly running against bone degrades the edge relatively quickly when compared to cutting meat. You'll want several blades for completing a caping job.

If you plan to cape out your own animals and will be in an environment where you can keep your hands warms then I think you would be well served to purchase one.

If you are thinking to get the Havalon for an EDC I believe you'll be disappointed.

Last edited by Boise; 08/14/12.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
K
K
Boise is correct in that these are truly scary sharp, and that cutting against bone, and into dirt etc.you will dull the blade. He is also correct in that it is not encouraged to use as an every day carry knife. It is not a pocket knife we are all use to.

Where I will disagree with Boise is that these blades WILL do everything from gutting through caping. I know that one blade will completely field dress an entire elk, or several white tail. If you let the sharp edge of the knife do the work, you will get a much longer life from the edge, and many fewer, if any breaks.

The knives are very light weight. Instead of taking 1 1/2 pds of knives and sharpening tools, you take on 4 ounces. If you use your multi-tool pliers you can replace the blade with one easy step. NO BRAINER

You can watch Steven Rinella on The Meat Eater use it for virtually everything field dressing.

Last edited by KnifeHunter; 08/15/12.
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by kevinh1157
Hi All: I am intrigued by the replaceable blade system on the Havalon Piranta knives. Anyone use one? Do you like them? Plus/minus. How long do the blades last? Thanks for your insight.

One blade will easily skin and quarter one Elk. Just let the blade do the cutting.

I skinned two Elk with 2 blades although I didn't really need to change blades. But the blades are cheap so why not? I've done a lot of skinning and I can assure you that the Havalon is much faster than anything I've used before.

It's a better mousetrap. It is all I carry for hunting now. I do all my Elk gutless style, so no need for bone busting.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I much prefer the feel of a real knife and don't mind having to retouch the edge once in a while.

I would not buy a piece of Chinese cutlery. Nor would I use one if it were given to me for free.

Looks pretty wimpy anyway.......

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Happy Birthday, Kevin. smile

I used a Havalon Piranta and a Gene Ingram Bullnose Skinner (S30V) recently to quarter antelope.

The Piranta was pretty slick - super lightweight, and very sharp. I never had any issues with blades breaking, but I didn't try to cut into bone with it or twist the blade. If you're careful they hold up pretty well.

Personally, I liked using my Ingram skinner. With a longer, wider blade, and no concern about potentially breaking the blade, I was able to do more work in less time than the Havalon. It just made quartering easier. I think both do a great job, it just comes down to what feel you like.

Eric

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have two. Use Victorinox butchers.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
Kevin if you would pay for a $5.00 shipping fee you can have mine for free. I used it once on a buck and broke 2 blades. I think I still have 9 or 10 blades left. Luckily I brought my D2 knife along for that hunt. After the second blade broke off I just gave up, however, this could have been me not using it correctly. I realized that I have to have a real knife and not worrying if I am putting too much pressure or not.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bingo..........

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yurotrash, I'll take it for $5. PM inbound.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mine just arrived today via ebay. It's in my daypack now and am hoping to use it this weekend. Their 60A blade is supposed to deal with the breakage issues of earlier blades. I guess we will/I will find out.

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
My son has one and used it in Colo this year. I borrowed his to try. I used it to skin one buck and to cape another. I did break a blade but I was seeing how far I could push it.
I'll own a Havalon before our opening day this coming saturday.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Are they just using conventional surgical blades or have they brought out propitiatory blades to their own specs? Forceps make it easy enough to change blades but it is not a task I would want to perform when my hands were cold or I am wearing gloves.

I use scalpels on a regular basis and as well as they cut it is one thing to use them for surgery and another to completely process game. I do use a #4 and #2 blades for caping but I use them in a conventional scalpel handle.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
remfak
The 60A fits only the new Torch model not the Piranta (according to their website) and is supposed to address the breakage. I have a Piranta and have used it exclusively on a WT and MD in the last 2 weeks from skinning to boning out. I like them very much and have learned how not to break blades, just don't twist or torque. Not a EDC knife for sure but for taking an animal apart I'll always have one in my pack.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
If anyone else wants to unload their Havalon Piranta's cheap, shoot me a PM. I'll be glad to take them off your hands.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1badf350, 1234, 16penny, 64 invisible), 2,571 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,465
Posts18,471,363
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.