Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#7093929 - 11/20/12 10:34 AM What do you guys think of the Rossi?
derby_dude Offline
Campfire Oracle

Loc: Montana, Lewis and Clark Count...
Just discovered about 500 .44 mag empties. I now need to get some dies to reload for my Ruger Super Black Hawk. I figure a .44 Mag rifle ought to be in my future. Never cared for my Marlin in .44 mag but a model 92 would be a different kettle of fish. Rossi now makes a Model 92 with a 24" barrel in .44 mag.

Anybody got a Rossi in .44 mag? Give me the good, the bad, and the ugly on the rifle if you have one.

Thanks.

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

#7094611 - 11/20/12 01:50 PM Re: What do you guys think of the Rossi? [Re: derby_dude]
liliysdad Offline
Campfire Regular

Out of curiosity, what don't you like about the marlin? Myself, I prefer the Marlin greatly over the 92 and 94 action guns. In every caliber.

#7095445 - 11/20/12 05:57 PM Re: What do you guys think of the Rossi? [Re: liliysdad]
derby_dude Offline
Campfire Oracle

The Marlin shot it's screws lose all the time and nothing I did or the gunsmith did could stop the screws from shooting lose. It was not as accurate as I would have liked. One would have been hard press to keep all of one's shots in a 5 to 6" circle even at 50 yards. In all fairness to the rifle it was a Cowboy Action rifle probably designed for a lower velocity than I was using and lead bullets. I was shooting PMC factory ammo truncated 240 grain bullets at about 2,000 feet per second. Probably if I was hand loading and used lead bullets around 1,000 FPS it would have shot better. The screws still would have shot lose eventually but probably not as quickly as they did using the faster loads.

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

#7095701 - 11/20/12 07:07 PM Re: What do you guys think of the Rossi? [Re: derby_dude]
liliysdad Offline
Campfire Regular

I think you had one bum rifle in your hands. Try a different one. Nothing wrong with the 92 action, I simply prefer the Marlin by a large margin. Everything about them, for me, is better.

#7095778 - 11/20/12 07:23 PM Re: What do you guys think of the Rossi? [Re: liliysdad]
GlennKelley Offline

Loc: Paris Ontario
My friend had one . He traded it off because of feeding issues.

Glenn

#7096251 - 11/20/12 11:26 PM Re: What do you guys think of the Rossi? [Re: derby_dude]
mtech Offline
Campfire Regular

Another option is a used Browning 1892 lever action or if you can swing it a New Winchester 1892. Look on Gun Broker, etc.

#7096420 - 11/21/12 04:13 AM Re: What do you guys think of the Rossi? [Re: mtech]
Paul39 Offline
Campfire Outfitter

I bought a Rossi 92 in .357, and have been quite happy with it. It did take quite a bit of tweaking to get it to where I wanted it, but the end result was worth it.

I would have preferred an American made rifle, but the good Marlins and Winchesters are scarce and pricey in certain calibers and configurations, and I didn't want to pay collector prices for a shooter. The Rossis are available, and a decent value, IMO. Fit and finish, at least on their higher end models, seems to be on par with many new rifles, which is faint praise, I'm sad to admit. These days I would want to see and handle any rifle I'm contemplating purchasing.

In my limited experience and from what I have read, feeding can be problematic in pistol caliber lever rifles. May be fussy about ammo too. It's a basic design issue. They are like semiauto pistols in that regard.

Paul

#7096632 - 11/21/12 05:52 AM Re: What do you guys think of the Rossi? [Re: mtech]
derby_dude Offline
Campfire Oracle

Originally Posted By: mtech
Another option is a used Browning 1892 lever action or if you can swing it a New Winchester 1892. Look on Gun Broker, etc.

A new Winchester 92 might be a possibility if there are any still left. I talked to Winchester and there rifles are being produced in limited quantities.

Another possibility is a Cimarron Arms 92. I had thought about a Cimarron 1860 Henry but a 92 with the .44 mag brass I have makes more sense.

#7096938 - 11/21/12 07:41 AM Re: What do you guys think of the Rossi? [Re: derby_dude]
Otto33 Offline

I've got a stainless Rossi with a 20" tube. As others have mentioned, there can be feeding issues with certain bullet shapes. XTPs and WWB softpoints feed very well, so that's what I use. Used the softpoints to take a nice doe this year, actually.

The Rossi is considerably lighter than the Marlin. Mine is a little over 5 lbs. I'm using the bolt peep from Steves Gunz (it replaces that terrible safety) along with a gold bead. My trigger is actually pretty good. It makes for a super handy little package.

I find the recoil to be significant with heavy loads due to the light weight. And I'm just learning to use the aperture sights so my effective range is pretty short, but that's more of a "me" problem obviously. New rifles are drilled and tapped for a scout mount if that's to your liking. Fun little rifles.

#7097862 - 11/21/12 01:19 PM Re: What do you guys think of the Rossi? [Re: Otto33]
GunGeek Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: NW Nevada
Before Taurus bought Rossi out, the 92ís were hit and miss. When you found a good one, they worked perfectly and were sweet. When you got a bad one, it took a LOT of work to make it work.

Now theyíre every bit as good as the Winchesters, just not as pretty. Iíve shot a bunch of them, and did a T&E for Guns Magazine of the .480 Rossi and I havenít been able to induce a feed malfunction on ANY of the new ones; I canít say that for a Marlin. The actions are butter smooth, they shoot very straight, and they feed flawlessly. If it were me, Iíd take the Rossi over the Marlin. In my experience the newer Rossiís are more reliable.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
CLICK BANNER for HUGE SAVINGS on MINOX OPTICS at CAMERA LAND!
Support Our Sponsors 1
Who's Online
130 registered (1OntarioJim, 406_SBC, 4ager, 356tsw, 222Sako, 35, 16 invisible), 537 Guests and 305 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Support Our Sponsors 2
CLICK BANNER for HUGE SAVINGS on ZEISS at CAMERA LAND!
Forum Stats
50569 Members
72 Forums
636592 Topics
9134948 Posts

Max Online: 4366 @ 10/05/10 09:36 AM
Support Our Sponsors 3

Copyright © 2000-2014 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.