Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Well...this thread got the best of me. I was ready to move my last single shot rifle, a 1968 Ruger #1, out the door to pay for some camera equipment. And besides, I have a tack-driving 25/06 all ready to go which is perfection for the Coues' tag I have in my pocket. Plus, the #1 would fetch more dinero.

Well, as of last night I lost my nerve and the scope went back on the #1 and I'm loading my old standby recipe tonight. I wanted to sell the #1 before I scratched it up too much and ruined too much of the value, but I suppose now I'm just going to put that rig back to work (I think)! Hopefully soon I can add trophy pics to this thread in December.

Anyone looking for a really nice lefty 25/06? smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by stantdm
Originally Posted by Freedumb1

Did it say "feral" on their collars??

You might not know what a feral animal is. Here is a definition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feral

I am well aware of what a farm cat is.

I think of feral cats being an issue to native populations in areas such as Hawaii, hard on birds, etc.

If I shoot a "feral" farm cat it would be because I don't like cats.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer but how he hunted it.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I hunt with single-shot 99% of the time.
Of course they are specialty handguns smile

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My #1 Ruger in .45-70 Improved (long-throated)goes with me, at least a few times, on every hunt I do for anything from coyote to moose throughout a year.

My conundrum is to decide on what load! In bullets I have 325gr Hornady FTX; 350s in Speer, Hornady and Barnes TSX. A half-box of 330 Barnes Banded; 400gr Speers and 400gr Barnes Busters; 405gr Remingtons; 450gr A-Frames; 465gr hardcasts; 480gr Hornady DGX and 500gr Hornady FMJ. Along with all that there are a few 400gr Hawk FPs and Barnes Original 400gr RN's!

Plus the fact that any of these can be pushed out the muzzle from 1000 fps to 2200 for the 500s, 2300 for the 450 AF and 2550 for the 350 TSX!

So you see my dilemma... or maybe not! wink grin

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have the next couple of weeks off to get out after deer and maybe an elk. Will take an 1885 Win in 300H&H, a Merkel in 7Rem Mag and a #1 in 450/400ne. The #1 is using cast bullets, I killed a lot of branches and trees with it last year, trying to thread the needle, a few times, in some cutblocks. The 300H&H will do stand duty on a couple of spots with longer shots that may crop up. And the Merkel will just be nice to carry around some of the cutblock areas. Like to blood all three this year if I can. The 450 gets first crack at it though.

IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Trophy quality skunk, via my .414SuperMag carbine...that count as a hunt? grin

first one i've busted in ages that didnt spray....
[Linked Image]

============================================================

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm probably going to take the .30-40 #1 this weekend for the opener, but I probably won't get serious about shooting until the rut is on.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

I bought a new old stock Uberti 1885 falling block 30-30 August 2005 in an on line auction ~ $500. I never shot it.

In first 3 weeks of Sept 2012 I finally got around to working on it.
I cut threads on a 26" Shilen #3 stainless select match .257 barrel. I chambered it for 257 Roberts Ackley Imrpoved rimmed. I necked down Norma 7x57mm rimmed brass and turned the necks.
I spent a long time making an extractor relief cut.
I spent a long time making a scope mount / bipod mount so that the barrel floated.
The bipod and forstock are mounted to a 5/8" OD 1/2" ID Aluminium tube that is mounted to the scope mount.
I made a prototype Cedar forstock, but did not get around to making a nice one or painting the barrel.
I put an Atlas bipod on it.

I drove 888 miles and started target practicing at long range in the second week of Oct. I zeroed it in with 115 gr Nos Bal tips moly 3050 fps at 200 yards.
300 yards was 3.5 moa elevation.
400 yards was 6 moa elevation.

In the 3 week of Oct I started killing deer with it.
By the end of the third week I had used up all my tags and drove 888 miles home.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do muzzleloaders count? I shot this 10-point buck this morning with my .50 caliber T/C Fox Ridge Outfitters Rifle (Renegade variant). I used a 320-grain Lee R.E.A.L. bullet I cast myself and 100 grains of G-O. I gambled and took a shot at 150 yards. He's hanging now and I'll clean my rifle and head back after a doe.

[Linked Image]

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Bricktop
Do muzzleloaders count? I shot this 10-point buck this morning with my .50 caliber T/C Fox Ridge Outfitters Rifle (Renegade variant). I used a 320-grain Lee R.E.A.L. bullet I cast myself and 100 grains of G-O. I gambled and took a shot at 150 yards. He's hanging now and I'll clean my rifle and head back after a doe.

[Linked Image]

Great shot, congrats.

Anchorage, Alaska
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Armymark

[Linked Image]

Great shot, congrats.
Thanks. It was a farther shot than I realized, but I was happy with the end result.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

[Linked Image]

Hey Bricktop, Do dat be a left-hand percussion lock on dat Fox Ridge? I ain't never seen one o' dem.

Tim

Bring enough gun and know how to use it.

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here's what I did on Oct. 1st. I already posted this earlier, so sorry if you're already seen it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The particulars: Got this speed goat on afternoon of opening day in Antelope Area 16, east of Buffalo, WY. As a bonus it has an extra "sticker" point on the outside of each horn.

Ruger No. 1AH in .25-06. I've installed a Clement's custom trigger, Moulds speed hammer, Blitzschnell mainspring, and Trop #1 custom safety. Scope is Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x with BDC reticle. Shooting my loads with 100gr Barnes Tipped Triple Shock X-bullet (TTSX) loaded to around 3400fps and still getting less than 3/4" groups consistently. Shot was taken from the ledge just below the horizon over my left shoulder in the first pic, with a crosswind gusting up to around 15 mph. Range was 320yds lasered with Leica 1600B rangefinder. The shot was just a fuzz further back than I normally like. I slightly over-compensated for the crosswind.

Tim

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Skeezix

[Linked Image]
Hey Bricktop, Do dat be a left-hand percussion lock on dat Fox Ridge? I ain't never seen one o' dem.

Tim
It be. T/C used to offer the New Englander and Renegade in left-handed variants. If you were right-handed, you could get a Renegade Hunter, with single trigger, swivel studs, and a recoil pad. If you were left-handed and wanted those things, you had to drop about $120 or so more with T/C's custom shop, the now-defunct Fox Ridge Outfitters, and get one of their rifles. I used to have two of these and kept the prettier of the two. I wish I had the other still, too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

[Linked Image]

Tim
It be. T/C used to offer the New Englander and Renegade in left-handed variants. If you were right-handed, you could get a Renegade Hunter, with single trigger, swivel studs, and a recoil pad. If you were left-handed and wanted those things, you had to drop about $120 or so more with T/C's custom shop, the now-defunct Fox Ridge Outfitters, and get one of their rifles. I used to have two of these and kept the prettier of the two. I wish I had the other still, too.

Well I'll be kiss-my-go-to-damn! Dat sho nuff be purty.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

[Linked Image]

Tim
Well I'll be kiss-my-go-to-damn! Dat sho nuff be purty.
It be shootin' purty, too.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's what I did on Oct. 1st. I already posted this earlier, so sorry if you're already seen it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The particulars: Got this speed goat on afternoon of opening day in Antelope Area 16, east of Buffalo, WY. As a bonus it has an extra "sticker" point on the outside of each horn.

Ruger No. 1AH in .25-06. I've installed a Clement's custom trigger, Moulds speed hammer, Blitzschnell mainspring, and Trop #1 custom safety. Scope is Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x with BDC reticle. Shooting my loads with 100gr Barnes Tipped Triple Shock X-bullet (TTSX) loaded to around 3400fps and still getting less than 3/4" groups consistently. Shot was taken from the ledge just below the horizon over my left shoulder in the first pic, with a crosswind gusting up to around 15 mph. Range was 320yds lasered with Leica 1600B rangefinder. The shot was just a fuzz further back than I normally like. I slightly over-compensated for the crosswind.

Tim
Very nice! I lived in Douglas, Wyoming many years ago and shot a few goats there back in the early and mid '80s. (I believe it was area 28.) I ought to try and do it again some day.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
A "twofer" for the Merkel this last weekend!

[Linked Image]

Best

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N

[Linked Image]

Nice work. I've got one of those Renegades in .54 with the left-handed lock. It likes roundballs and Goex powder pretty well. Have not had an opportunity to fire it in anger at a deer, but maybe this will be the year.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by geedubya
A "twofer" for the Merkel this last weekend!

[Linked Image]

Best

GWB
That's a lot of bacon.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1234, 16penny, 12344mag, 16gage, 57 invisible), 2,600 guests, and 1,349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,461
Posts18,471,311
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.