Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Originally Posted by ranger1
Good grief, a rescue dog is the last thing you need if you're looking for a quality hunting dog. There is absolutely nothing that a pointing lab can accomplish in the field that a flushing lab won't. Why continue to screw up the breed by perpetuating the practice of breeding them to point. Get a lab or a chessie (70-30 waterfowl makes the choice easy) from a good breeder and try to get a pup from a repeat breeding that has produced some pups that are now MH or hold field trial titles. Call as many breeders as you can find on the internet and then call some more, tell them what you want/expect of the dog. You will come away with a few that are at the top of the heap, go with the one that produces pups that have the look that you like. Lot of time and phone calls, but it will pay big when you get a pup that is exactly what you want/need.

I agree 100%

I agree for the most part but, if at all possible, go watch them in action. I run the dog wagon at field trials here in NE each Spring/Fall and get to put my hands on a lot of dogs. I watch how they react to me, other dogs, how they cast off and finish and if there's one I'm interested in, I ride in the gallery and watch them in the field. Titles are a good indicator of ability but nothing beats watching them in action.

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
[/quote]I've never seen a Pudelpointer in action......how about some action shots?? [/quote]

since you asked
retrieving beavers ( lab following)
[Linked Image]
hunting sharptails
[Linked Image]
and ptarmigan
[Linked Image]
and ducks
[Linked Image]
and geese
[Linked Image]
and huns at -30�
[Linked Image]
and ruffed grouse
[img]http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p287/longwalker_photos/IMGP2935.jpg[/img]
and lots of other stuff
[img]http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p287/longwalker_photos/IMG_3553.jpg[/img]

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Those are some great action shots!! I know I'll always have a GSP but if I ever branched out, those Pudel pointer's would sure be high on the list.....what a great all-around dog.

How are they around the house and with kids??

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Excellent with kids, good around the house when they mature past the puppy stage!

F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Im sold that that is a solid dog. But what the hell is a puddlepointer?

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
You are doing mostly waterfowl, get a Labrador. They are the most versatile dog. And they have dominated the retriever field trials for over 50 years.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
"what the hell is a puddlepointer?"
It is a German word, and pronounced POODlepointer not "puddle"..
- from the website of the breeder that I got the Pudelpointer in the photos from,
Cedarwoods:
Pudelpointer has a short, rough waterproof jacket with it's camouflage coloring and other qualities enabling the dogs to figure prominently in today's NAVHDA utility tests. Still, today in Germany the breed cannot achieve stud book status until the dog has passed demanding ability and utility testing. The dog must also pass a hip radiograph exam, as well as have a conformation rating. Today's Pudelpointers in North America have breeding restrictions very similar to those in Germany. North American Pudelpointers are registered with either American Field or NAVHDA. Hopefully the breed will never be registered with AKC and this breed will never be seen in an AKC show ring; breeding dogs for show quality has been the downfall for many sporting breeds as the show fanciers have little or no knowledge of hunting instincts necessary to maintain a breed such as the Pudelpointer for the hunting public.

What is a Pudelpointer?

The Pudelpointer is a medium sized dog with a height of 22-25 inches at the shoulder and weighing anywhere form 45 to 70 pounds. The color is usually a variant of liver; white markings on the chest and paws are permitted.

The ideal Pudelpointer coat is harsh, wirey and dense but all kinds of variations are possible. Some specimens are almost smooth coated and others have a rather long and woolly coat, but all Pudelpointers should have pronounced eyebrows and whiskered muzzles. The tail is docked leaving approximately two-thirds of its original length.

By nature the dog is friendly, inquisitive, eager to please, with a dash that makes it a pleasure to work with in the field and a cooperative attitude that also makes it a pleasure in the home.

F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Originally Posted by castnblast
"what the hell is a puddlepointer?"
It is a German word, and pronounced POODlepointer not "puddle"..
- from the website of the breeder that I got the Pudelpointer in the photos from,
Cedarwoods:
Pudelpointer has a short, rough waterproof jacket with it's camouflage coloring and other qualities enabling the dogs to figure prominently in today's NAVHDA utility tests. Still, today in Germany the breed cannot achieve stud book status until the dog has passed demanding ability and utility testing. The dog must also pass a hip radiograph exam, as well as have a conformation rating. Today's Pudelpointers in North America have breeding restrictions very similar to those in Germany. North American Pudelpointers are registered with either American Field or NAVHDA. Hopefully the breed will never be registered with AKC and this breed will never be seen in an AKC show ring; breeding dogs for show quality has been the downfall for many sporting breeds as the show fanciers have little or no knowledge of hunting instincts necessary to maintain a breed such as the Pudelpointer for the hunting public.

What is a Pudelpointer?

The Pudelpointer is a medium sized dog with a height of 22-25 inches at the shoulder and weighing anywhere form 45 to 70 pounds. The color is usually a variant of liver; white markings on the chest and paws are permitted.

The ideal Pudelpointer coat is harsh, wirey and dense but all kinds of variations are possible. Some specimens are almost smooth coated and others have a rather long and woolly coat, but all Pudelpointers should have pronounced eyebrows and whiskered muzzles. The tail is docked leaving approximately two-thirds of its original length.

By nature the dog is friendly, inquisitive, eager to please, with a dash that makes it a pleasure to work with in the field and a cooperative attitude that also makes it a pleasure in the home.

Grea info! Thanks. The critters look like a Griffon/Gsp/Lab mix. They sure are pretty. I imagine they are not easy to find though.

F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
I also feel I need to ad- Man, its sure looks like you know how to get on the birds!

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I don't bad mouth a mans dog or his shotgun, I dont care if he shoots the ugliest Mossburg ever built. I'm a english pointer person my self, but I would have to say for an all around dog the Lab would be the best.

ALCOHOL TOBACCO & FIREARMS
Should be a covenience store, not a government agency.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
castnblast - That is a gorgeous dog! One of the few pointers that REALLY interest me. He looks like he can hang regardless of temperature or game being hunted.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I had a similar dilemma 4 years ago. I ended up with a drahthaar. They hunt longer, harder and there are no draw backs aside from that missing lab personality. My draht has stamina that is simply amazing, takes the cold well and points like a clock.....truly a perfect dog......as long as they are not stuck in a small yard all day.

Last edited by high_country_; 01/07/13.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
S
spj Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I hunt seaducks/ducks and grouse and woodcock. I use both a field bred lab and a German bred DK. They both work! The DK are tested in order to be bred and are wonderful! My lab is an absolute machine. Field bred labs can run with the best of them.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I actually have both a pudelpointer and a drahthaar, my drahthaar hunted from birth....here is a pic series at about 3 months old. I am not a dog trainer, just a hunter.....and our grouse are not big....she is just a pup here.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A bit farther into the season she really began to develop. She has never hunted planted birds and has always produced for me.....

[Linked Image]

This quail fell dead in some bad nasty thicket that my FIL's English pointer and setter would not go into. I walked Cali down wind of it and sent her in.....minutes later, here is the spoils....
[Linked Image]

I killed a limit of chukar over her only once so far....more due to my fear of dying than her lack of hunt. This hunt was about -15 and the birds were holding pretty tight. Sorry, no field pics as my camera batts were zonked by the cold.

[Linked Image]

I don't have any field pics of our pudelpointer. She was a rescue and hunting her is rough on me after having a push button dog like Cali.

[Linked Image]

I just learned that I need to take more field pics. When buck, my black lab, passed I assumed I would never again have such a great dog. Buck was able to telepathically do what I wanted, it was glorious. Cali, my drahthaar, she does not do what I think all the time, and at first, I was dissapointed.....I learned that I need to let her hunt and follow her, for I am right 60% of the time and she I right 99% of the time. She does not have the clingy lovey side my lab did, in fact for the first 4 years of her life, I am not sure she even liked me. She just slept on a bed in a corner and ate....then disappeared into our 5 acres of grass fields all day. Now she has become a bit more of a lap dog. Our pudelpointer is every bit as needy as a lab, but again, she is a rescue.

Fwiw, both are beyond tollerant.

[img]http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z16/gyonemura/440a06432d1b03854ebadf5ad4d4329e.jpg[/img]

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
S
spj Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Awesome!

S
spj Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
[Linked Image]

Don't uderestimate a field bred lab! This girl will never quit and never refuse an entry even in worst conditions!Jump off the boat into 3 foot swells in the salt without thinking.

She will run hard all day long attacking cover until she wears the hair off her shoulders. Crapped in the house 2 times, total, as a pup and had run of the house at a year. Scary smart.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Great thread guys!!
While I am not as against a Pointing Lab as some of you seem to be, I have always thought the Griffon's were worth looking into and the Pudelpointer's I have not even heard of before.

Personally my last dog a black lab, was good at flushing in the dense area's of northern MI and great at retrieving anything he was sent after. I certainly would not classify him as a great upland hunter but I do not consider myself that either!! smile
I was happy to have spent the 12 years with him and would do it again in a heart beat.

Mark

What part of "Constitutionally !!LIMITED!!" don't you understand?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The level of snobbery and tunnel vision in this thread boggles the mind!
Pointing labs work if they are trained properly, I owned two before I was told i should be doing that .

retrievers running big? They generally cant do that , but in many areas a big running pointer is no good either.
Rescue dogs? I've seen some GREAT Brits and labs that were rescue dogs.
I've been critisized because my son and Ii hunt rabbits with Louie the GSP, so wha? he does a good job, blocks them well, and can still point a ruffed grouse or pheasant at the same time.

"messing with a breed"? How does one think our modern day dogs came about , they certainly didn't just happen, people bred certain breeds together.
I know a guy who hunts birds with a Welsh border collie, and a friend of mine used to have a buddy who hunted over an English bulldog for pheasants.
We even take out the little cavalier Spaniel for ruffies and chukars at times.
Who gives a rat's azz as long as all are having fun, nobody or dog gets hurt?

I've seen lots of good dogs that were not bred for what they were doing , but everybody as happy with them.
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by catnthehat

Who gives a rat's azz as long as all are having fun, nobody or dog gets hurt?

I do - and the reason I do is because your shoot-from-the-hip/anything-goes mentality DOES hurt a lot of dogs. You don't have to be a "snob" or have "tunnel vision" to know that bad breeding causes all sorts of problems and can ruin a fine breed in short order. Examples are everywhere - Dalmatians, Irish Setters, Cocker Spaniels, Golden Retrievers, etc. are just some of the breeds that have taken a beating due to irresponsible breeding - and that's what you get with most backyard breeders. Those breeds have been seriously harmed because people focused more on appearance than on the breed's overall standards and what you got was great looking dogs with a whole slew of issues - deafness, hip dysplasia, seizures, bad temperaments, etc. Breeding Labs based on their "pointing" instinct is the same kind of focused breeding - just based on a particular behavior instead of a particular appearance and is much more likely to be a victim of "tunnel vision".

I seriously doubt that most "breeders" today would hold a candle (in terms of knowledge, standards, discipline, etc.) to the old school European breeders whom developed the standard sporting breeds we know and love today. Of course, if an English Bulldog would pass as a good bird dog to you - your mileage DEFINITELY varies...... crazy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well said!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

178 members (6MMWASP, 2500HD, 358wsm, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 24 invisible), 2,053 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,903
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.