Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thinking of getting a kit to carry with me if I get a flat or a puncture. What's a good one?

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
It's kind of a repair kit- made by Slime, it's called Quick Spair, and comes in two sizes, for regular size and small size tires. I have one of the small tire size cans (12 oz.) in my RZR.
In the event of a puncture, you simply thread it on the valve stem and it injects air and goo into the tire, enough of a fix hopefully to get you back to civilization.

In my last ATV, I put Slime in all four tires, and never had a flat in 14 years.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
5 or 6 years ago, I did a field repair on an ATV tire using one of those kits to push a plug through a hole then squirting a can of Fix-a-Flat through the valve stem. It's still holding air after all this time.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Have a small 12v compressor, tire plugs and bottle of Slime onboard. Luckily only had to use it once.

A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.
Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The best way to fix a flat tire on an atv or utv is with the plugs. I've got a repair kit along with a small air compressor that runs off the battery in my Foreman and won't go anywhere without it. The kit comes with 2 tools, an ice-pick looking thingy that is rough like a file and another long tool that you use to install the plug. It also comes with plugs, rubber cement, and a small handheld air compressor that uses a co2 cartridge to fill the tire but I never used mine so I don't know if it works or not.

I even repaired a flat tire on my Dodge pickup a few years back with it but it took forever for it to inflate using that compressor. I've tried that Slime stuff before and it didn't do anything but fill my tire with goo.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Many of the new ATV's don't have pull starters any more. If you plan to buy a small compressor, take a hard look at a jump starter/compressor. One of those saved my tail a couple years ago when the battery on my car went dead. They're bulkier than a compressor but they'll do a lot more. They'll also air up a tire a lot faster than the mini compressors.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bighorn,

I had the "les Schwab" version of Slime in my Grizzly tires with the Bighorn radials. It is 6 years old and has been used in a very thorn filled rocky environment it's entire life. Those Bighorns have never gone flat, never even lost air. I have had branches stick into some part of the tire and go round and round a couple times until I had to stop and pull it loose. Maybe they never made it deep enough to the air cavity, or maybe the sealant fixed the problem?

I have Bead lock tires on both my Grizzly and Rhino. I think the Beads are one of the greatest risks for leakage or damage. One other peoples ATVs breaking a front tire bead has been far more common then a puncture. Running low air at high speed and expecting the bead to hold on turns, or in very rocky climbs is a lot to ask. ( Especially with those 2 ply factory supplied tires!)

My choice to run bead locks came from getting a branch between the tire and the rim. There I sat no way to fix that and I struggled for the longest time to extract that branch, it was wedged into that slot like it was welded in. The tire and wheel were just fine, and undamaged. But no way to get seated in the bush.

I now run all four of my tires on the Rhino the same size. (26X9X12) this way with the spare at the truck, I have one that can be used on all four corners. I could carry it along when needed as well. I also like to rotate the tires now once a year. The rears seem to get a lot more wear then the fronts. At least on the Grizzly, the Rhino is still too new.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

517 members (160user, 2500HD, 260Remguy, 1234, 1minute, 10gaugeman, 61 invisible), 2,768 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,130
Posts18,502,601
Members73,989
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.